Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: climbing walls  (Read 5189 times)

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
climbing walls
« on: July 17, 2014, 07:38:24 am »

Needs to be ended...
what a pain in my ass.

I have a 2 z level high defensive wall, made of wood. At the top of the wall I put 3 fortifications and a down stair in the middle of it.
(and then some stairs to get up there) with the idea that my marksdwarf could stand there and shoot out.

Instead he gets to the top, goes back down, climbs over the damn wall and tries to engage them in hand to hand..despite having a crossbow and having just been practising archery for a long time.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: climbing walls
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 07:39:44 am »

He climbed OVER the fortifications?

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 07:57:47 am »

He climbed OVER the fortifications?

No, when I built it, i didn't think he'd have a reason to climb over the other parts of the wall.
Because he's a marksdwarf.

It looks like this.

fffffffFFFfffffff
         D

f is top of the wall floor
F is the foritification
D is the down stair in the middle of the fortifications. I figured if I blocked his diagonal movement I wouldn't have to worry about him getting on top of the wall (tree nearby I thought he'd climb the branches) but instead he just climbs over one of the other parts of the wall like spiderman when i stationed him at the top of the stairs.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 08:08:46 am »

No, when I built it, i didn't think he'd have a reason to climb over the other parts of the wall.
Because he's a marksdwarf.

It looks like this.

fffffffFFFfffffff
         D

f is top of the wall floor
F is the foritification
D is the down stair in the middle of the fortifications. I figured if I blocked his diagonal movement I wouldn't have to worry about him getting on top of the wall (tree nearby I thought he'd climb the branches) but instead he just climbs over one of the other parts of the wall like spiderman when i stationed him at the top of the stairs.

I don't think a 2 z wall is enough to stop climbing enemies anyway. 1z plus fortifications is better.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 08:13:29 am »

Make sure you are using blocks instead of raw stone or wood. Constructions made of blocks, or natural stone walls that have been smoothed are unclimbable for the most part from what I've seen.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 08:17:43 am »

Make sure you are using blocks instead of raw stone or wood. Constructions made of blocks, or natural stone walls that have been smoothed are unclimbable for the most part from what I've seen.
Smooth walls are unclimbable block walls are hard to climb. Fortifications can't be climbed over.

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 09:04:15 am »

Obvious solution is to build fortifications all the way around the top of the wall, which has the added benefit of not letting gobbos climb over from the other side. Although it would be nice if there was a way to disable the climbing behavior in your residents for easier dwarf herding.

Mostly I just wanted to thank you for getting a TMBG song stuck in my head this morning.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 10:38:56 am »

How high can you make a wall before it becomes unclimbable? Could you theoretically build a 100zlvl high wall only for goblins to try scale it? Or adventurers try scale it?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 10:45:19 am »

How high can you make a wall before it becomes unclimbable? Could you theoretically build a 100zlvl high wall only for goblins to try scale it? Or adventurers try scale it?

Like a hard cap where you're no longer permitted to make a climb attempt or a height that requires so many successful climbing checks that reaching it is vastly improbable?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 10:46:55 am »

Like a hard cap where you're no longer permitted to make a climb attempt or a height that requires so many successful climbing checks that reaching it is vastly improbable?
Pretty much.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 11:04:31 am »

Pretty much.

Testing for a hard cap  means building a massive wall and seeing if goblins scale it but a quick test with block walls in adventure mode gave me these data points.

Using a dwarven grand master climber I climbed back and forth along a block wall and counted the number of successful checks I could make before failing one. These are the numbers I came up with.

The random number god is capricious so a grand master climber could fall on his ass after a few z's or spider man his way to the roof of your sky tower with ease. Testing for a hard climbing cap means making a fortress with a giant wooden wall and seeing if it becomes impossible to climb higher.

Symmetry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 12:56:07 pm »

I think we just need overhangs now.  so you need a one zlevel wall with a floor out around the edge to stop people climbing up.
I saw someone saying in another thread that even legendary climbers like spiders can't climb on ceilings.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 01:14:10 pm »

I think we just need overhangs now.  so you need a one zlevel wall with a floor out around the edge to stop people climbing up.
I saw someone saying in another thread that even legendary climbers like spiders can't climb on ceilings.

Fortifications work just as well.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 04:58:18 pm »

I wonder if invaders are dumb enough that, if I make a few z-levels high wall, with an overhang to the inside, they will try to climb over and fall down.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 05:44:40 pm »

I wonder if invaders are dumb enough that, if I make a few z-levels high wall, with an overhang to the inside, they will try to climb over and fall down.
You mean like this?[Side View]

g
  ##
  #
  #

So the goblin can climb up normally but can't climb down to your doodz

or like this [Also Side View

##
 g #
    #

Where the lip prevents the goblin from climbing on top of the wall?

An invader could scale a wall with a lip facing the secure area but I don't think the AI would attempt to make a climb with nothing to grab on to but even if they would you now have to worry about injured but alive goblin lashers inside your fort and sharpshooters using your defenses against you.
In the second version there's no path to anything dwarf flavored so I'm not sure they would attempt to scale it at all.
Pages: [1] 2