Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Military broken again?  (Read 4283 times)

Extreme Boyheat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military broken again?
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2014, 01:16:31 am »

You can't actually give them more than one weapon.

Bartholomew The Pious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2014, 01:17:40 am »

it was described as a tame calm area, nothing like that. I don't even think I'm that close to any cities.

When it says 'calm, wilderness, or untamed wilds', it is describing on embark the relative region's type of animal, normal or giant.
That being said, it would be an okay idea to staple on some form of reading how hotly-contested the area when it comes to spheres of influence (e.g. warring fire nations)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 01:20:03 am by Bartholomew The Pious »
I can't quote for squat, but this is very true. Credit to PTTG?? for this insightful comment.
~Haven & Hearth has always been a terrible game with great promise. That promise kind of faded away, and now it's mainly a way for a few dedicated scumbags to annoy the few new people who drift in.~

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2014, 01:25:15 am »

Sounds like Toady might have justt fixed the too-much-wrestling issue, but we'll see what happens.

Nasty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2014, 02:04:24 am »

All sparring seems to be wrestling despite toting exceptional steel spear. Somehow a little spearwork does leak in there, just very very very slowly.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7063
Quote from: Toady One
Ah, it appears one of my more recent changes to support multiple wields had the unintended side effect of screwing up everything else. Hopefully it'll be better for next time.

Yeah :D :D :D :D

Also sounds like he's fixed the getting stuck to walls after trying to climb them bug as well. I've given up on my fort after all my marksdwarves vaulted the parapet into the moat and became stuck (i had to deconstruct most of the lower wall to free them).

Also bridges dont create a barrier anymore?!

Not the end of the world but definitely need to use a door now to seal in dwarves who haven't made time to arm themselves with crossbows. Two of them just dived into the moat and charged. Didn't end well.

Gukag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2014, 06:11:18 am »

Maybe they're climbling the top part of the bridge? Is it covered with a floor when raised? Bridges still seem to work fine as walls. If they're rough stone I'm guessing they're still climbable. Test blocks if it isn't made out of them already.

Nasty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2014, 03:42:31 am »

Nah the bridge was actually retractable. They had to have vaulted the fortifications because they appeared stuck to the wall below the ramparts almost immediately after i gave the attack order. I had the bridge set to retract (I must have been careless placing them) so they could have run and jumped into the water but that would have meant spending a while walking back down through my fort and out through the entrance.

Also they were stuck to the wall below where they were, not around the gate.

Unfortunately the three that were slaughtered are stuck in the moat and nobody will bury them. The haunting has started so I'm forced to memorialize them and put up with the horror.

EDIT: The Werebear just came back and claimed another two dwarves and my War Grizzly. The one marksdwarf that made it to the ramparts in time did so with no ammunition, vaulted the wall to get up close, promptly became stuck in the moat and started drowning. Werebear was not phased and jumped in and ate him (to death).

Ramparts
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Surface
Moat slowly filling with Marksdwarves
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 05:33:41 am by Nasty »

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2014, 06:30:30 am »

It would seem youve forgotten to remove ramps from the moat, as it seems your plan was to only have the corners open, with traps killing enemies while keeping your guys safe.

Nasty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2014, 06:42:42 am »

The ramp INTO the moat works fine, but i've tunneled under the walls one tile instead of removing ramps because it was a fast and effective way of getting a ditch established shortly after embark. Before the wall was there nothing could cross it.

Enemies have been more than happy to come into the moat, eat my stuck marksmen, then leave again.

Regardless you may have a point, I'm widening it as we speak.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2014, 08:07:55 am »

dwarfs were supposed to be able to get out of water if they were next to a ramp.. maybe that's broken again (I seem to remember a bugfix ages ago where toady made dwarfs a bit less likely to drown)
I think they seem to be drowning a bit quicker in this version too, anyone confirm?

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2014, 09:08:26 am »

dwarfs were supposed to be able to get out of water if they were next to a ramp.. maybe that's broken again (I seem to remember a bugfix ages ago where toady made dwarfs a bit less likely to drown)
I think they seem to be drowning a bit quicker in this version too, anyone confirm?

Absolutely confirm. I had a couple dwarves dig out my pit for my drawbridge. With channels, didn't realize I was right on top of the aquifier. They both fell in. While standing on a ramp, the guy drowned nearly instantly. Was ridiculous. like 2 weeks after embark. and right at the entrance, no one could pull him out and no one could walk by him because they were horrified.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2014, 04:32:48 pm »

Definitely. Now a 1-wide channel with proper ramps can be a death sentence to dwarves which fall in. I haven't examined it in detail (now THAT sounds like some fun, ethical science) but I've had dwarves die in some pretty stupid ponds, natural and dwarf-made.
Ironically, they seem quite good at climbing up vertical walls out of 7/7 water, it's just using ramps which (sometimes) escapes them.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Nasty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2014, 10:30:09 pm »

The ramp INTO the moat works fine, but i've tunneled under the walls one tile instead of removing ramps because it was a fast and effective way of getting a ditch established shortly after embark. Before the wall was there nothing could cross it.

Enemies have been more than happy to come into the moat, eat my stuck marksmen, then leave again.

Regardless you may have a point, I'm widening it as we speak.

Ugh, think I've figured it out. They're panicing and climbing up the service stair that I used to construct the roof and leaping off. Widening the moat helped dwarves escape although that may have just been due to lowering the water level for a time. There is a yak just chilling in there.

Time to build a hatch I think!
Pages: 1 2 [3]