Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Military broken again?  (Read 4293 times)

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
Military broken again?
« on: July 16, 2014, 05:31:58 am »

I remember the military used to be a mess.

Then it was fixed in a big overhaul.
Dwarves would spar, build skill well, etc.

I set up my first military. 3 dwarves, train minimum 2, all have weapons. (same schedule every month)

They stand around doing individual drills.

The squad is "selected" for the alert level I'm on, tried it when they weren't and tried it when they were, no difference.

Even when they gained a couple levels in the weapon, like 3-4 they still just stood around all the time.

before this was all I did to get them going.

Rum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military broken again?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 05:44:41 am »

If the squad is active/training then I cant see what the problem is.

about to create my first military in the new version and ill report back in a few hours if i cant get them training.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 05:55:10 am »

If the squad is active/training then I cant see what the problem is.

about to create my first military in the new version and ill report back in a few hours if i cant get them training.

They're training..wearing their uniforms, hanging out in the barracks, but just doing individual, no active sparring like they used to do.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 06:09:12 am »

I've not seen sparing yet, I did see demonstrations in .02
I've not really run long enough to see sparing.

I've noticed that they're more likely to do individual when they're in a squad, but not on active training though.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 06:10:31 am »

Im not sure what point in time you're talking about when it worked well.  Whether they spar or do individual drills or other demonstrations has always seemed pretty random to me.
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 06:12:20 am »

Im not sure what point in time you're talking about when it worked well.  Whether they spar or do individual drills or other demonstrations has always seemed pretty random to me.

There was a major overhaul, not on the last version or maybe it was. but after that point in time i seemed to have no problem getting them to spar and build up well.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 06:14:01 am »

I think it doesn't say sparring anymore.
Look at the reports, sparring seem to be normal, red reports at the moment. It says they are fighting and when you read it, you'll see they are lightly tapping each other.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 06:30:48 am »

I think it doesn't say sparring anymore.
Look at the reports, sparring seem to be normal, red reports at the moment. It says they are fighting and when you read it, you'll see they are lightly tapping each other.

I have no reports, had my squad up for months.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 06:35:34 am »

Be happy about the individual drills then. My soldiers all became wrestlers when training with each other. :D

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 06:55:21 am »

For me the problem is not that they are doing the "Individual Combat Drill" instead of "Sparring", the problem is that they do it instead of working:
- squad is inactive or no orders
- barracks are assigned to the squad
- almost all dorfs (75%) do their "individual ..." stuff when they should be working, 'cause they are off duty
I can only get them out of the barracks when I remove the (T)raining option for that squad.

When on active "Training" duty they have all sorts of demonstrations (Fighting, Dodging, Archery...)
Version 40.03
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 07:06:44 am »

That is pretty normal, though they might train more now, I don't know.
They used to do individual drills while not on duty before.

Swonnrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 07:25:19 am »

For me the problem is not that they are doing the "Individual Combat Drill" instead of "Sparring", the problem is that they do it instead of working:
- almost all dorfs (75%) do their "individual ..." stuff when they should be working, 'cause they are off duty
I can only get them out of the barracks when I remove the (T)raining option for that squad.

When on active "Training" duty they have all sorts of demonstrations (Fighting, Dodging, Archery...)
Version 40.03

This is normal.
You picked soldiers with "A strong sense of duty" or thriving for excellence or I don't remember the relevant trait.
The increased numbers of dutiful dwarves may come from the race unification of some personality traits. "Like other dwarves, he..."

If they were less hardened, your soldiers would be doing civilians duty, and if they were even more lazy they would be idling 75% of the time, like some dwarves...
But since they have a strong sense of duty, they train even when in their spare, civilian time.
Wich is a good or bad thing, depending of what you want.

Extreme Boyheat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 08:10:14 am »

They do go for sparring sessions, in 40.03. Just not that often enough to be noticed.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 08:14:55 am »

They do go for sparring sessions, in 40.03. Just not that often enough to be noticed.

I've had dwarves with 60 pages of sparring (combat) reports after merely doing "put them all in a squad, given them a uniform, make a barracks, tell them to train there, switch their status to Active/Training".  Just 3 dwarves in a squad.  Nothing fancy at all.  Didn't screw around with the schedule, or "minimum number of X Y Z" or any of that other stuff.

Of course they're all bloody Wrestlers now because they don't like their weapons as much as they like their fists.  But that's a different issue.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 08:43:11 am »

Version 40.03

This is normal.
You picked soldiers with "A strong sense of duty" or thriving for excellence or I don't remember the relevant trait.
The increased numbers of dutiful dwarves may come from the race unification of some personality traits. "Like other dwarves, he..."

If they were less hardened, your soldiers would be doing civilians duty, and if they were even more lazy they would be idling 75% of the time, like some dwarves...
But since they have a strong sense of duty, they train even when in their spare, civilian time.
Wich is a good or bad thing, depending of what you want.

But this is the whole dang population of the fortress! Since the game crashed I have no save to upload, nor screenshots. I'll replay those years tonight and also look at the traits of the military. So either all dorfs are now battle-hungry fighting machines or it really is broken... at least in .34.11 they used to do civilian jobs quite often. So now my normal rotating all dorfs around in squads no longer works :(
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.
Pages: [1] 2 3