Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress from Scratch: 0.40.x [Contributors welcome!]  (Read 37721 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game

I recently had an idea for a creature that fits the glass theme I'm going for, but the civs are rather saturated as of now... Then again, I really want to see a glass-skinned chirpy or dretch with viscous prismatic sludge and assorted vaguely organic sacs spread around in said goop. I might do it just for fun, really, because I feel like taking a legendary hammerman to something made of glass and sticky goo would be extremely satisfying to read combat reports on.

I'm working on a parasitic vermin creature that infects its victims and turns their bodies into crystal.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Crystalline Life on THX 1138

The inorganic crystalline life on THX 1138 has been under close study since it fascinated scientists with its original discovery.  Unlike on Earth, where life is exclusively organic and appears to have developed from a single common ancestor, it is theorized that life on THX 1138 had at least two separate origins - one analogous to the plants and animals on Terra, the other which appears to have developed directly from exotic magnetized crystals originating deep within the planet's crust.

Most crystalline organisms (or 'crystalids') have a distinctly hexagonal body plan.  Their bodies are surrounded in a hard exoskeleton which is extremely resistant to cutting, but their durability against blunt impact varies from species to species.  Crystalids which are capable of locomotion are filled with a kind of hydraulic crystalline matrix capable of solidifying into various structures in response to electrical impulses.  They typically move under one of two main methods: more primitive 'ameboid' crystalids will extend their outer shell in the direction of motion while de-crystalizing their anterior end and reabsorbing it into the liquid matrix, while the more advanced crystalids are capable of forming long, hydraulic tubes inside their bodies that function as pseudo-muscles.

Most crystalids display radial symmetry and are fairly slow-moving compared to organic animal life, if they move at all, although a few predatory species are capable of attaining surprising bursts of speed when pursuing prey.  Although crystalids are typically incapable of metabolizing organic life (and vice-versa), they are sometimes unable to tell the difference between their natural crystalid prey and organic organisms until they actually make physical contact, which may be deadly for the attacked creature, as crystalid exoskeletons are covered in sharp, angular structures that can tear through organic materials easily.  Predatory crystalids should therefore be regarded as dangerous to humans and other organic life.

Crystalids sense their environment through many different methods.  Most are capable of vision, and several can change their colors by shifting their crystal structure, a sight that is often quite beautiful to behold.  While their hearing capabilities are limited, most can sense vibrations through their feet and some advanced species have fluid-filled cavities inside their bodies that can sense sound traveling through the air as well.  All are capable of detecting electrical impulses, which seems to be their primary means of identifying the presence of other organisms, and is also their most common means of communication.  A number of species are also capable of generating an electric charge strong enough to be used offensively, both against organic life and other crystalids.  They have no analogue to either smell or taste.

The means by which a crystalid generates energy is not fully understood (crystalids do not acquire energy from 'eating' other crystalids, only raw materials to grow larger or replace damaged sections, nor do they seem to require sunlight or complex chemicals for survival).  It is thought that they are capable of gathering energy directly from the magnetic field of the planet.  The main site of energy regulation within a crystalid's body is located at the 'core' of the organism, typically a structure in the center of its largest physical segment.  The core is responsible for most important biological processes, and can be thought of as the creature's 'brain' in the sense that destroying it will kill the crystalid.  While many of the more advanced crystalids have a structure analogous to a 'head' positioned at the front or top of the body, this is merely the site of its primary sensory organs and destroying it will only cripple the crystalid rather than killing it.

No sapient crystalid has been discovered to date, and few can even be trained as pets.  However, some of the natives of the planet have discovered a method of coaxing crystalid 'biocrystal' into specific shapes, allowing them to create particularly sharp weapons and blade-resistant armor from the remains of crystalids.

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As you guys might have noticed, I haven't been very active lately.

...Don't worry, no one died, I just have stuff to do.
My anaconda man don't want none unless you got 5,000 cm3 of [SELECT_BP:LOWER_BODY:REAR][SELECT_ADDITIONAL_BP:UPPER_LEGS:REAR] hun.

Civilian squads: a suggestion regarding Dwarf Therapist, maintaining stock levels, independent workshop-usage and the military screen.

ribby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Keep posting all your crazy attempts, creations, ideas and changes guys :) I'd love to hear more! Half the fun of the original thread was the spontaneously combusting creatures or the ones whose heads fell off or the time when everything was made of frozen blood.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've added a bunch of crystalid species as cavern dwellers.  Most are small, slow-moving and non-aggressive, they have a body plan with six-sided radial symmetry, six legs, a sense organ on top (sometimes at the top of a stalk), a core in the center, and a mouth on the underside.  They are all made of crystal, with a hard shell and a brittle inside, and have liquid crystals in place of blood.  Currently, I'm adjusting the properties of their body materials, the idea is that they should be hard to kill, but their 'biocrystal' can be turned into a number of different items.  I have found out though that using BUTCHER_SPECIAL to produce a specific weapon or tool directly from butchering, trying to do so seems to produce a random weapon or tool instead.

Cryscrab: Can retract their legs.
Electric crystal crawler: Can use an electric attack.
Crystal blade: Keeps three of its razor-sharp legs raised to use as claws.
Crystal ameboa: Amorphous body that engulfs its prey.
Giant crystal ameboa: Like a crystal ameboa, but giant.
Crystal walker: Very big, and has electric attacks.  Still docile though.
Crystar: Predators that hunt in groups.  The males are small but fast, the females are large and deadly, but slow-moving.  Most groups will have several males and one female.  The males run out and keep the prey busy while the female approaches and deals the finishing attack.

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Don't forget the subtype.

[BUTCHER_SPECIAL:WEAPON:ITEM_HOLLOWED_DAGGER_CER] would make the material result in hollowed daggers when it's butchered from an animal consisting of it. As an example.

Also, what the what guys, what about them duplicates in the folder?
My anaconda man don't want none unless you got 5,000 cm3 of [SELECT_BP:LOWER_BODY:REAR][SELECT_ADDITIONAL_BP:UPPER_LEGS:REAR] hun.

Civilian squads: a suggestion regarding Dwarf Therapist, maintaining stock levels, independent workshop-usage and the military screen.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

[BUTCHER_SPECIAL:WEAPON:ITEM_HOLLOWED_DAGGER_CER] would make the material result in hollowed daggers when it's butchered from an animal consisting of it. As an example.

I tried this, but it just gave a random weapon instead.  It's odd, because most other subtyped items work fine.  Have you ever gotten it to actually work with tools or weapons specifically?

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nah, never.

It was worth a try, though.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

I tried this, but it just gave a random weapon instead.  It's odd, because most other subtyped items work fine.  Have you ever gotten it to actually work with tools or weapons specifically?

The animated armors in 3rd cavern of masterwork drop weapons properly, last time i've seen one in game was a long time ago though
creature_cavern_masterwork.txt(67): [NAME:animated armor:animated armors:animated armor] in MDFv6.0

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Considering their name, and the fact that you said "dropped", I'd guess that was an item corpse, which works as intended.

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ravioli, ravioli, I can't rhyme.

Added some new reactions for adventurers.
...Well, for chirp adventurers, at least.

Also, added the info for the Crystalline life into the help.
Should have included that they also crash the game for no reason when trying to path around.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also, added the info for the Crystalline life into the help.
Should have included that they also crash the game for no reason when trying to path around.

That's weird.  I've tested them plenty in the Arena and haven't seen any issues.
When did the game crash?

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Adventure mode, i think i was nearing a river. The error log referred to crystal crabs though.

King Kravoka

Could we remove the soulcatcher trees? They kinda don't fit in with a Science fiction setting and well... For reasons that would drive other DF players stark raving mad, I would be a lot more willing to add stuff.

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sure, whatever.

Though I interpreted the science-fiction setting as "sci-fi stuff allowed too", since we can't exactly justify most other stuffs either, see caravans from space faring races.

We will have to flesh out Terra Nihalgai somehow, and apparently, without superstitions, because superstitious aliens are not science-fictioney.

...if it wasn't obvious enough already, i highly oppose the removal of my content.
Though when we get more localised trees, sure, they can go. Not now, though.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18