Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Camelot Unchained - Upcoming RvR game from DAoC creator  (Read 3551 times)

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Camelot Unchained - Upcoming RvR game from DAoC creator
« on: July 15, 2014, 05:40:07 am »

OFFICIAL WEB SITE

Camelot Unchained is an upcoming MMORPG being designed and published by Mark Jacobs (designer of Dark Age of Camelot and Warhammer Online) and his company, City State Entertainment (CSE). Unlike most modern "theme park" MMORPGs, Camelot Unchained (CU) will be completely designed around the "Tri-Realm" three-way war system, similar to the PvP components of Dark Age of Camelot, Warhammer Online, Guild Wars II, and The Elder Scrolls Online; this is to say that CU will have no PvE progression whatsoever, which allows them to make a very different game. Progression will be horizontal, depending more on player skill than character stats; classes will be unique so that each has an important role to fill in a group; decisions made at character creation such as race and stats will matter in the long run; and crafters will play a prominent roll in building infrastructure, defenses, and seige weapons (not to mention crafters will be responsible for all equipment as there will be no PvE equipment drops). CSE is building a new engine from scratch, with the goal of having hundreds of characters on screen while the game remains playable. The UI will be completely web-based, which should allow modders to do interesting things both in-game and out-of-game. The setting is a dark, post-apocalyptic fantasy environment, with Arthurians, Tuatha de Danann, and Vikings representing the three sides at war. Having completed a successful Kickstarter campaign last summer, the game is independent of any publisher, allowing CSE to make the game they want. They continue to raise money and are on track for a late 2015 release. CU will require a monthly subscription, as Mark Jacobs is known to strongly dislike free-to-play and freemium systems.

Some more detailed information pulled from their web site is provided below:

Spoiler: Stat System (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Magic System (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Combat (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Crafting (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: RvR Map (click to show/hide)

(I ran out of space in this post, so these lists are continued here.)

Some additional game information can be found here, live streams occur occasionally on their Twitch channel, and recordings of interviews, Q&As, and gameplay footage are being posted to their YouTube channel.

The official web site for the game can be found here, where you can read more about the game's lore and foundational principles, and pre-purchase the game (with higher tiers giving extra beta invites, cosmetic perks, and out-of-game bonuses). Additionally, you can read interviews with Mark Jacobs at Massively and MMORPG.com. There's also the Kickstarter page, in case you'd like to see how the game was originally pitched.

</end blurb mode>

During the live gameplay on Monday, one of the engineers noted that they had about 190 players (both real and simulated) on the map simultaneously, yet the computer recording the feed never dropped much below 60 FPS, and Mark noted that said computer is nowhere near top-of-the-line. While the game doesn't look great yet (pre-alpha), if they can keep the gameplay that smooth when there are more things happening on-screen, they'll have an advantage over the lag-and-stutter-fests of GW2 and TESO.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 06:34:05 pm by Leyic »

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Camelot Unchained - BSC Days are go!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 05:55:54 am »

This sounds pretty sweet if done right. The only problem I see is that PvP can easily be terrible if done wrong, but if they're basing the whole game around it I can have reasonable confidence it will be fun. The crafting only thing makes it sound like there will be real conflict over resources which is always great. Hope to try this when it comes out.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 10:38:56 am »

Looks like it has some potential. IMO, the only way to do PvP well in an MMO is to build the game for PvP from the ground up. Good on them for not hamfisting PvP into a PvE game as an afterthought.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

bagele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 10:47:16 am »

Sounds interesting but usually these games devolve in to one side gaining strength and begin to snowball, the other sides get discouraged and either stop playing or join the winning side, this in turn makes the winning side get bored as there is no one to fight.

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 05:19:35 pm »

Live streaming of game footage right now,followed by Q&A with Mark Jacobs.

They discussed their magic system today. Rather than CSE creating spells, they're going to create spell components (runes) which players can then combine and inscribe to a spellbook, so all spells will be player made so they should be unique. There will also be a lot of ways to modify spells: reagents can be added to enhance the spell somehow, spells will be sensitive to weather, the sun and moons, etc., and spells can interact with each other (both to help and hinder). So they're planning a fair amount of complexity to their spell system, rather than having spells be just another variety of skill. They also mentioned that using too much magic in a short period of time in one place can cause a "veilstorm", which is a cataclysmic phenomenon with chaotic effects. Here's another interview with MJ, this time regarding CU's magic system.

Discussion of combat and crafting comes tomorrow, plus a surprise.

This sounds pretty sweet if done right. The only problem I see is that PvP can easily be terrible if done wrong, but if they're basing the whole game around it I can have reasonable confidence it will be fun. The crafting only thing makes it sound like there will be real conflict over resources which is always great. Hope to try this when it comes out.
They're moving away from the typical random-nodes-scattered-everywhere gathering style and making actual mines, lumberyards, farms, etc. that your side will need to control for you to gather stuff there, as well as special crafting stations spread around the world, so they're definitely putting more of a strategic/logistic element into the game than typical RvR type games.

Sounds interesting but usually these games devolve in to one side gaining strength and begin to snowball, the other sides get discouraged and either stop playing or join the winning side, this in turn makes the winning side get bored as there is no one to fight.
Everyone will be locked to one realm per server, which should help deter switching sides. There will be special resources that are hard to control, so that should deter one side sweeping the map. They've also mentioned possibly using some crazy map changing mechanics if one side gains a significant and long lasting advantage over the others, as they understand that that isn't fun. Mark mentioned that he's also designing the game to discourage zerging, so numerical advantages won't necessarily translate to strength advantages.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 08:35:02 pm by Leyic »

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 10:04:30 pm »

I loved DAOC and had a lot of fun with Warhammer. Both games required a lot of skill for small group fights and with a well organized team we could take on double our number. Zergs would come through and ruin things once in a while, but beyond that it was almost non-stop good times.

Also I am really excited about the return to a three team system. That was another great thing about DAOC. Coming on a fight in motion between two enemies was a blast.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 01:47:58 am »

This looks like it'd be right up my alley.
Definitely going to watch this, even if I don't have a computer that could play it. I remember having fun times with the free trial of Warhammer Online (which somehow worked on my old computer?) back in the day, and I've always enjoyed good PVP. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Lithare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 02:12:22 pm »

DAOC was, I think, my favorite MMO of all time.  So excited about this one, for sure.

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 04:13:14 pm »

They started streaming today's pre-alpha footage early. It's the same build they showed the past two days, but they've unlocked two more races and one class. From the sound of it, they may have a new build for tomorrow's stream.

They'll also be using something very similar to the magic skill building system for combat skills, so players will be able to do a lot of customization and fine-tuning to their builds.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 06:44:13 pm by Leyic »

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Camelot Unchained - Upcoming RvR game from DAoC creator
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 06:32:48 pm »

Double posting because the BSC days have ended and I'm updating the OP with information from the event. Unfortunately, I didn't think I'd need a second post, but I do, so here's the continuation from the OP:

Spoiler: Progression System (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: UI Modding (click to show/hide)

</end blurb mode>

At the end of the BSC days, they gave backers a chance to try the pre-alpha. It was laggy at first when everyone piled onto a single server, but it was working decently during the live stream with 150+ players on that particular server. FPS stayed above 30 for me the whole time, and I was playing with integrated Intel HD 4000 graphics (for reference, I get 10-20 in TESO with fewer characters on screen). They already have character collision and character momentum in the engine, so combat feels different from GW2 and TESO. Being a pre-alpha, they don't have many mechanics in, so there's not much else to comment on (though at least one of their modellers understands that castles should have murder holes).

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 06:26:54 am »

Sounds good to me.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

vertinox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Let's Play Dwarf Fortress (tutuorial) Videos
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 09:32:59 pm »

It sounds good, but the monthly subscription pretty much is a bad decision.

Years ago, paying $15 for a month worth of Ultima Online was a reasonable thing.

But now the market is saturated with F2P games.

Even WoW is having a hard time holding on to subs.

ESO is most likely going F2P as well. Sure CU has got $2,000,000 or so kickstarter but only from 14,000 backers.

Star Citizen is pay once, play forever like GW2 which I support.

Personally, if I pay for a game per month I feel obligated to play it even though I may not really be wanting to play it. Its why I quit EVE online.

Right now I play between 3 F2P MMOs and a handful of games I bought on Steam. Most of those games are under $20.

Maybe I'm becoming Scrooge McDuck in my old age, but I don't really feel like spending $120 a year just to play a game.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 10:00:16 pm »

That sounds good too.

DaoC was well liked enough it might work if it's a good enough game. Personally I can't afford a full time monthly sub, but maybe if it was really well done and I find decent non-summer only employment. It would have to be top tier mmo though and wait until after I upgrade components to somewhere above minimum specs for Planetside 2. I'll definitely give a free trial period a go to see it's potential.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 10:07:01 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 10:35:42 pm »

From what I understand, $2 million is not a lot for an MMO when they have to maintain their own servers. GW2 is backed by the publisher Nexon, and Star Citizen is only going to have one official server and let players make their own 'shards' afaik. Pay once could be an option, except they've acknowledged that they're not making a mainstream game, so ongoing initial purchases may be insufficient. I recall MJ implying he'd rather shut the game down than go the pay2win or freemium routes, so those aren't an option. Purchased cosmetics may happen as they allowed people to add-on points redeemable for emotes, hair models, housing furniture, etc. during the Kickstarter campaign, but they didn't revive that for their more recent "builder" campaign. They did say they'd like to have the subscription fee be lower than the industry standard, but charging monthly is pretty much the only way they'll keep the game running without selling out.

JamesGoblin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2016, 02:42:43 am »

Just a quick update - ~25k backers, budget grew over $7.2M and Beta should start roughly in a month.

PS Launch will happen sometime 2017 - this is my estimate, nothing official.
My name is Goblin. James Goblin.