Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hmmm.. "Pear seeds"  (Read 4286 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Hmmm.. "Pear seeds"
« on: July 13, 2014, 11:32:30 pm »

A curious thing.

I added the [OUTDOOR_ORCHARDS} tag to the mountain entity before generating this world, so that dwarves would be able to bring in fruits and nuts in the caravans...  But more interestingly, it seems that brewing fruit into booze produces... tree seeds.

In this case, Pears.

I am going to see if these are plantable......

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Hmmm.. "Pear seeds"
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 11:34:52 pm »

Pears brew into perry? That's fantastic.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 11:42:14 pm »

Ok, while I seem to be getting pear seeds, I cannot seem to plant them.

Farm Plots do not permit their use.

Is there another kind of structure that Elves can build, that dwarves cant, that makes use of tree seeds?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 02:27:04 am »

Not that I'm aware of. Tree seeds are probably only useful for cooking for the time being.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sumyunguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 02:29:53 am »

Prepare for some delicious, finely minced pear seeds for your high quality pear seed roast.  :P

Gukag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 03:11:12 am »

I've been finding "feather tree egg yolk" in my depot whenever a caravan comes to trade. It seems to be dropping there from a nearby tree. Would it be possible to harvest fruit by constructing trade depots under trees? It gets to the food stockpile fine but is blacked out in the kitchen menu, possible because it isn't a brewable fruit. Will have to test under a pear tree or something.

JoeJoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 03:40:58 am »

I've been finding "feather tree egg yolk" in my depot whenever a caravan comes to trade. It seems to be dropping there from a nearby tree. Would it be possible to harvest fruit by constructing trade depots under trees? It gets to the food stockpile fine but is blacked out in the kitchen menu, possible because it isn't a brewable fruit. Will have to test under a pear tree or something.

The egg yolks don't drop from trees. I've had them appear in my underground depot in a neutral region. But I'm not sure if I bought them without realizing it or if they just appeared.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 04:35:30 pm »

The caravan brings in feather tree eggs and they melt in non-freezing temperatures. If a caravan item melts or freezes, it gets marked as fort-produced and the caravan leaves it in the depot, unless it's in a container.

At least that's what I observed.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 04:47:01 pm »

The caravan brings in feather tree eggs and they melt in non-freezing temperatures. If a caravan item melts or freezes, it gets marked as fort-produced and the caravan leaves it in the depot, unless it's in a container.

Which really, only begets more questions regarding feather trees...

Feather trees are good region trees, right? So why do their fruits melt in non freezing temperatures? Do good regions stink like rotten egg once the time comes for fruit to drop?
Why don't feather trees just drop eggs instead of only their yolk?
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 06:46:15 pm »

Feather trees also have... feathers... instead of leaves :P.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Flarp

• Bay Watcher
  • and tearing apart the self-esteem!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 07:47:55 pm »

Which really, only begets more questions regarding feather trees...

Feather trees are good region trees, right? So why do their fruits melt in non freezing temperatures? Do good regions stink like rotten egg once the time comes for fruit to drop?

Maybe they're like, cadbury eggs. So, come summertime, Good regions are covered in a gloopy-but-delicious layer of melted chocolate and vanilla confection.
He views any show of emotion as offensive, sees introspection as important, values self-control, and strongly believes that a peaceful and ordered society without dissent would be best. He believes that mastery of a skill is one of the highest pursuits, values nature, and finds romance distasteful. He holds well-laid plans and shrewd deceptions in the highest regard.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 08:22:12 pm »

Not that I'm aware of. Tree seeds are probably only useful for cooking for the time being.

There is only one dwarfy use for large amonts of seeds
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 12:42:50 am »

Not heavy enough.

They may be useful for coinstar deployment however.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 08:37:09 am »

If you look in the raws, you will see the comment "need to go w/ all egg mats when growths support it" - normal eggs have multiple materials (shell, yolk, and white), but DF isn't yet capable of producing plant growths made of multiple materials.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 10:12:32 am »

If you look in the raws, you will see the comment "need to go w/ all egg mats when growths support it" - normal eggs have multiple materials (shell, yolk, and white), but DF isn't yet capable of producing plant growths made of multiple materials.

Ah, I saw that, but had no clue how to interpret that...

Still, till then it's just funny to imagine good biomes smelling like sulfur miasma during summer. (And perhaps after then as well :p )
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!
Pages: [1] 2