Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1872799 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4260 on: May 13, 2016, 02:09:37 am »

When mythgen comes along how easy will it be to add in a modded race? Would it just be a matter of adding the raws like now then assigning a 'fantasy' rating to it to let mythgen know when to introduce it?
And how flexible will it be? For example if I wanted everything full fantasy random plus one race of regular humans, would that be doable?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4261 on: May 13, 2016, 06:54:12 am »

As I recall he specifically mentioned an example like the single mundane race with everything else generated.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #4262 on: May 13, 2016, 09:07:12 am »

When mythgen comes along how easy will it be to add in a modded race? Would it just be a matter of adding the raws like now then assigning a 'fantasy' rating to it to let mythgen know when to introduce it?

It should be sufficient to have the raws mostly as they are now (plus any control tokens that may exist, like the fantasy rating).
Quote from: ZM5
will modders need to add their own creatures and such to the file itself, or will sentient, civilized races be automatically pulled from the raws into the myths in-game without having to create any additional files?

The creature files in the presentation were just a quick way to get the presentation going.  I expect DF will use the existing raws for that portion.  I'm not yet sure about the astronomical objects.  The sun, moon and stars exist in the game already, with in-game effects (with adv mode lighting, werecreatures, etc.), and it'll be some work to support additions and subtractions -- which parts of the myth are respected will have to come in in sections to avoid a too-long release.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4263 on: May 13, 2016, 08:33:33 pm »

You mentioned that deities forces and such take turns when generating the creation myths, are there any plans for a player to participate in the creation of myths as a deity/force/comet or whatever.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4264 on: May 15, 2016, 02:09:54 am »

Adventurer site building has the option to define taverns, libraries and temples as well as the mead halls you mentioned at the time of release. However, these don't seem to do anything right now. Unlike the meadhalls, they don't show up in Legends mode, so presumably are not defined as taverns, libraries or temples in the world and won't ever attract visitors. Is this just an unfinished feature, or is it supposed to work right now?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4265 on: May 15, 2016, 02:54:47 am »

Adventurer site building has the option to define taverns, libraries and temples as well as the mead halls you mentioned at the time of release. However, these don't seem to do anything right now. Unlike the meadhalls, they don't show up in Legends mode, so presumably are not defined as taverns, libraries or temples in the world and won't ever attract visitors. Is this just an unfinished feature, or is it supposed to work right now?

They do work but there is a cap firstmost to the max amount of visitors you may have at any one time, and secondly your biggest imports of scholars (since temples dont really offer unique visitor types and bards come and go from the tavern) is going to be from your own civilization, because the animalmen [LOCAL POP PRODUCES HEROES] tag churns out mercenaries out in the wilds to wander pretty much anywhere with enough fort value to attract a steady flow of interested visitors. As to say if all the civilization entities disappeared, leaving nothing but wild animal-men, you'd still be able to recruit mercenaries out of ex nihlio if the fortress was wealthy enough.

If you settle close enough to home within 'walking distance' of the last fort or dwarven city on the world map you should over time and scaling with the progress in writing made in the library (as to say visiting scholars are there to prep up your library and study) attract people post the writing of your first book/quire/scroll and general fortress wealth will attract visitors as intended. Temples attract regardless and im many cases people turn off the outsider usage for this reason.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4266 on: May 15, 2016, 03:38:11 am »

They do work but there is a cap firstmost to the max amount of visitors you may have at any one time, and secondly your biggest imports of scholars (since temples dont really offer unique visitor types and bards come and go from the tavern) is going to be from your own civilization, because the animalmen [LOCAL POP PRODUCES HEROES] tag churns out mercenaries out in the wilds to wander pretty much anywhere with enough fort value to attract a steady flow of interested visitors. As to say if all the civilization entities disappeared, leaving nothing but wild animal-men, you'd still be able to recruit mercenaries out of ex nihlio if the fortress was wealthy enough.

If you settle close enough to home within 'walking distance' of the last fort or dwarven city on the world map you should over time and scaling with the progress in writing made in the library (as to say visiting scholars are there to prep up your library and study) attract people post the writing of your first book/quire/scroll and general fortress wealth will attract visitors as intended. Temples attract regardless and im many cases people turn off the outsider usage for this reason.
Sorry, but are you sure you're talking about adventure mode site built zones? I don't understand what 'fortress wealth' has to do with anything. What fortress? where?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4267 on: May 15, 2016, 04:47:52 am »

Visitors are tied to fortress wealth. Your site does not have fortress wealth. You will not get visitors.

At least, I'm pretty sure that's what the connections was supposed to be.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4268 on: May 15, 2016, 05:18:00 am »

But my question was, is this a feature or not? And if it is why don't they show up in Legends mode? The mead halls do.
Well, anyway, I'll follow the advice and write some books for the library and see what happens. I'm surprised so much Science has been done since 43.02 was released.

Edit - Wait, what?! 'Turn off outsider usage'?? You are talking about fortress mode aren't you?  There's no such option in Adventurer.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 05:25:37 am by Shonai_Dweller »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4269 on: May 15, 2016, 06:13:38 am »

But my question was, is this a feature or not? And if it is why don't they show up in Legends mode? The mead halls do.
Well, anyway, I'll follow the advice and write some books for the library and see what happens. I'm surprised so much Science has been done since 43.02 was released.

Edit - Wait, what?! 'Turn off outsider usage'?? You are talking about fortress mode aren't you?  There's no such option in Adventurer.

Sorry, i think i had crossed brain wires. I understand the question now in that you're referring to adventure mode buildings, and frankly my answer is that i do not know exactly. But if the systems are anywhere similar, putnam's response would be fitting, or my overall general advice would be to open these venues close by to settlements.

This verges on the edge of either a oversight/placeholder for adventure mode made structures with meaning in the world (if the system ever changes to which a tavern/location is based off combined values of fortress wealth & reputation then maybe it would attract with the reputation value) or a outright bug of some kind.

Visitors are tied to fortress wealth. Your site does not have fortress wealth. You will not get visitors.

Since this question is up in the air.

Will certain procedurally generated and adventure mode retired embark locations such as taverns and temples or even just structures in the world ever retain private ownership by who owns the site even if it overlays your embark? (with ownership being tranferred upon admittance of themselves or their relatives to your fortress?) With diplomatic reprecussions for attacking such as taking a diplomacy hit and angering the occupants/relative nation.

And if this was so, could our own fortress dwellers find relevance in assigned dwarves (say its a 'trading license' of sorts) taking over private shopfront property independently to build skills, conduct commerce and interact with the wider world. In the sense that wagons sell in bulk to fortresses but traders and tourists probably want to buy our roasts with coins to a vendor. Very Recettear i guess

On one hand it'd probably be a pain to defend from robbers, looters and self rightous elves trying to rip off traders with 'wooden coins', but on the other its probably more interesting than walking up to a big pile of stuff.

Seagoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4270 on: May 15, 2016, 09:22:52 am »

How difficult would it be to allow a caste to override the random selection of what caste to birth with a specific caste of the modder choice or even have a specific sub list of castes to produce? This seems like a feature that would give a lot of power to modders and it is somthing I have been waiting to be introduced for several years now :P

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4271 on: May 15, 2016, 10:53:24 am »

Rumrusher at least has been inundated with demons though. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4272 on: May 15, 2016, 12:49:23 pm »

I hope toady will be able to answer this.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4273 on: May 15, 2016, 09:48:49 pm »

Will ghosts require a certain minimum fantasy level in the myth generator before they appear?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4274 on: May 15, 2016, 10:26:20 pm »

Will ghosts require a certain minimum fantasy level in the myth generator before they appear?
And indeed, will the existence of ghosts altogether depend on the kind of afterlife and soul information output by mythgen?
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 306