Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1872276 times)

Scruiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #165 on: July 23, 2014, 09:13:24 pm »

Man, that bugfix changelog's getting pretty tall.

I like how Toady's fixing all these smaller issues. They're quick changes most of the time, and fixing them really adds to the game's polish. I'd rather 10 small bugs be fixed than one major big bug (unless the latter bug is gamebreaking, of which not many are left).

I'm especially looking forward to elven diplomats coming back in the coming version.

Yeah the small things often stop much larger features from coming into play properly.  Example: Elven diplomat.  Now that the elves will start hating on me for cutting trees, I can finally get on board with all the anti-elf forum memes and start pointless wars.  I'm Glad Toady is taking the time to quash these :)
Things I have never done in Dwarf Fortress;

- Won.

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 23, 2014, 09:18:46 pm »

The elf tree-cutting cap will have to be lowered now, since trees are bigger and less common. I think someone in another thread said something about the elves coming in and naming individual trees and forbidding the cutting of those, but I'm not sure of its veracity.
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 23, 2014, 09:54:17 pm »

I too would like to applaud Toady for taking some time out to do some small polishing. I hope we have more days of bug tracker wanderings in the near future.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #168 on: July 23, 2014, 11:29:07 pm »

2. Actually Ag solved that bug - I had nothing to do with it: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5971

Ah, whoops.  Fixed that -- I wonder if that means I left you off another one.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Elone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 24, 2014, 01:24:38 am »

Ooooh, waiting for a little more stability before I dive into this, but the climbing's gonna be real interesting if creatures get more reluctant to climb the higher their path is from the ground. I have read that the climb pathing costs more now. I'd imagine that the pathing gets more expensive (with each path-tile ahead of them) the higher a creature means to climb.

Do the AI-controlled climbing creatures consider the wall/cliff/whatever height for their increased climbing cost?
▼ It's all their fault. ▼

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 24, 2014, 05:44:18 am »

The new stealth mechanics are integrated in some way in fortress mode?

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 24, 2014, 02:22:49 pm »

Hiya,

<snip>  Nevermind, found the answer.

-Dame de la Licorne
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 08:49:25 am by Dame de la Licorne »
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Shashu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 25, 2014, 12:06:28 am »

I also cleaned up some problems with the projectile code to move them over to a slightly more acceptable place, though there are doubtless some issues. Fixing a rounding error screwed up a lot of the other analysis, so I still had to wing it for now.

Could someone comment on the significance of this? How does archery compare now to DF2012? I heard there was some sort of wackiness in 40.01-40.03 but I'm not sure of the scope.

Mu.

• Bay Watcher
  • Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 25, 2014, 07:02:59 am »

Can we expect any significant performance improvements from the next few updates? You mentioned that you fixed calendar lag, and that this should have some impact on fortress mode, which sounds good. The framerate in fortress mode quickly becomes unbearable, despite keeping worlds and region sizes as meager as possible. My current fortress has about 100 pop, is 3 years old, and has breached two cave systems. I have an average of 39 FPS. This is without much clutter: my corridors are currently free of any goblin bodyparts.

I remember similar performance issues during the first few 3D releases.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #175 on: July 25, 2014, 07:26:06 am »

Can we expect any significant performance improvements from the next few updates? You mentioned that you fixed calendar lag, and that this should have some impact on fortress mode, which sounds good. The framerate in fortress mode quickly becomes unbearable, despite keeping worlds and region sizes as meager as possible. My current fortress has about 100 pop, is 3 years old, and has breached two cave systems. I have an average of 39 FPS. This is without much clutter: my corridors are currently free of any goblin bodyparts.

The big activated world feature of this release means that the Calender is running at all times during gameplay. The Calender being basically all AI-interactions outside of your direct game.
Any optimisations to the Calender is also an optimisation to fort mode. In fact, if I am not mistaken, fort mode's lag is precisely because of the Calender being unoptimised.

EDIT: On second thought, there may now be more pathing issues due to trees as well as birds and the new climb/jump mechanics.
It will never go fully back to previous levels, because the Calender is a huge part of Dwarf Fortress as a game, but it will definitely be optimised.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 07:31:52 am by therahedwig »
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 25, 2014, 08:26:13 am »

The big activated world feature of this release means that the Calender is running at all times during gameplay. The Calender being basically all AI-interactions outside of your direct game.
Any optimisations to the Calender is also an optimisation to fort mode. In fact, if I am not mistaken, fort mode's lag is precisely because of the Calender being unoptimised.

EDIT: On second thought, there may now be more pathing issues due to trees as well as birds and the new climb/jump mechanics.
It will never go fully back to previous levels, because the Calender is a huge part of Dwarf Fortress as a game, but it will definitely be optimised.

I think it makes sense for DF to get progressively slower over time, since hardware is a whole order of magnitude faster than when DF was first released.

Of course, optimizations are nice, especially since they allow more depth in the simulation later on.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 25, 2014, 08:41:21 am »

For the next version Toady fixed a bug caused by fat dwarves that if I understood correctly could bring an improvement of 10% fps to large fortresses. I think there are plenty of opportunities to improve optimization, even to leves better than the last version. However, too much optimization now is kinda useless, because the game is in development. "Good enough for now" is what Toady aims to, I think.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 25, 2014, 09:20:42 am »

There's a good chance this slowness is caused by bugs.  Some reports:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7536
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6913
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7119
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6015
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7284

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 25, 2014, 03:00:25 pm »

Hello!

Are there plans to go into addressing the limitations and crash bugs in world gen during the current short term debugging?

Personally, I like to gen medium worlds with a history of 500 years (actually, I would love to run the default 1050 years, but this is currently impossible), and even with less than 400 years, the game often crashes, either while creating the world or finalizing sites or other things. So, I am curious whether I still have to remain careful about this.

Yours,
Deathworks
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 306