Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Starting out Fortress Ideas for New Players  (Read 1760 times)

blackravenx

• Bay Watcher
  • Learning Newbie
    • View Profile
Starting out Fortress Ideas for New Players
« on: July 13, 2014, 10:13:45 am »

I was wondering if you all would like to share out some Fortress layouts that will help new players start. What I am thinking is basic defensive layouts and also ideas on best ways you all learned in putting in general living things. I am for now just plopping crap in to see what it does so right now my Dwarfs are pooping near their bed while eating a bowl of rice. Then asking the other sleeping dwarfs for a hand getting off the toilet because his legs fell asleep. But they first had to move aside all the wood, rocks, and extra furniture to help him.

I think this would be a great idea to help out new player "like me and others" to get us a better understanding on layouts best for noobs :)

thanks,
Blackravenx

AMTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starting out Fortress Ideas for New Players
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 10:19:04 am »

Checked here?
 http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Quickstart_guide

Also, the starter packs come with Quickfort, it has some good layouts to get the idea from.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 12:09:10 pm »

The biggest change in DF2014 for new fortresses: bandit sieges.  You are extremely likely to be sieged by a force of 10 goblins (or a necromancer plus a zombie or two) in EARLY autumn of the first year.  Your low population won't matter -- they are coming.  They will mess your shit up, if you don't have a way to prevent them from doing so.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 12:20:00 pm »

Yes...it is advised to embark with at least one military dwarf because of this...one likely isn't enough...but it may be enough if he can get some early kills and make the enemy flee

AernJardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 01:07:30 pm »

The biggest change in DF2014 for new fortresses: bandit sieges.  You are extremely likely to be sieged by a force of 10 goblins (or a necromancer plus a zombie or two) in EARLY autumn of the first year.  Your low population won't matter -- they are coming.  They will mess your shit up, if you don't have a way to prevent them from doing so.
What the heck am I doing wrong? With 40.02 I've started 6 fortresses each in a different random-gen world with very high savagery and 100+ years of history, ran them each for two years, and then restarted because I'm bored to tears. No-one, and I mean no-one attacks me. Migrants show up, trade caravans roll through, and then nothing. No Forgotten Beasts (and I only play Age of Myth worlds!) no bandits, no necromancers, no goblins, not even a baby-snatcher! It's driving me nuts. I don't use any mods or tilesets or anything. I've started in Terrifying and Sinister biomes, I've started next to goblin fortresses, and nothing happens (well clouds and rains still happen). The only things I change in the init files are to turn off the music, turn on the FPS, and turn on the water level display. Am I just terribly unlucky?

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 01:11:19 pm »

How big are your forts population wise? How much wealth do they have? Have goblins ever snatched any babies? Have you ever seized trade goods to stir up the anger of a civilization?

I am guessing you are terribly unlucky or not hitting the triggers for certain events...the easiest way to make seiges happen though is randomly killing a trade caravan. Your location probably matters a lot too. If you plop your fort down in an area thats kinda tucked away no one will wander that way...build your fort near trade routes (you can export a trades map in legends mode) or inotherwise populated areas you should get more activity.

AernJardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 01:37:56 pm »

How big are your forts population wise? How much wealth do they have? Have goblins ever snatched any babies? Have you ever seized trade goods to stir up the anger of a civilization?

I am guessing you are terribly unlucky or not hitting the triggers for certain events...the easiest way to make seiges happen though is randomly killing a trade caravan. Your location probably matters a lot too. If you plop your fort down in an area thats kinda tucked away no one will wander that way...build your fort near trade routes (you can export a trades map in legends mode) or inotherwise populated areas you should get more activity.
I had a couple of successful fey moods, so wealth was fairly high (I also make a mean yak-eye stew). Population was 35-60ish (different forts, different pops). Ahhh, I try and stay on good terms with all the caravans, so that makes sense.

I just tried tried a fresh install of DF and started up yet another new world. That (and starting closer to established sites of not-goblin civs) seemed to do the trick though! I have now properly attracted the ire of vile forces of darkness. Success! I guess I really was just weirdly unlucky.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 01:56:52 pm »

Also for a titan to attack I do believe it is 80 population minimum

blackravenx

• Bay Watcher
  • Learning Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 04:06:21 pm »

I have been playing DF for most the week .. started over 8 times lol because of food lol. Everyone was getting pissed off and attacking one another. Working on that ..lol maybe I should make farms outside the first thing I do.. because food is the issue or at least whats killing me.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 04:26:06 pm »

yeah getting a farm up early helps immensely...if all else fails having at least 1 or 2 dwarves constantly picking plants from the surface will get you some food and seeds and such. If you need more seeds than you have simply turn plants into booze...you will get alcohol and seeds as a result

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 05:44:39 pm »

It can help to bring some dogs and butcher them, it is cheaper then bringing the same amount of dog meat. But you need to have a food stockpile then, it would rot if left in the butchers shop.

blackravenx

• Bay Watcher
  • Learning Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 07:23:36 am »

Great! Idea on dogs... meat is meat lol

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 07:38:38 am »

Mark a center tile. Shift+ move twice from it in the four compass directions. Mark these as channel squares.
These are the middle squares you need to designate from to get a round fort. channel 5 on either side of them.
After that go to the end and one in and channel the following, with each comma meaning to go to the end and in one:
This is the dimensions for a simple and fast circle fort.
Use this to them dig it three tiles thick. Dig it two z levels deep and make a wall on the top inside.

If you want to, you can also build a smaller keep wall inside of the round fort, allowing you to have an outer wall, a inner keep that can be barricaded, and a courtyard to lure foes into to shoot into oblivion and clear piece meal.

This is my standard fort pattern and is very useful vs nearly any foe. Not really useful on terrifying sites that resurrect the dead or have effect clouds.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 07:40:13 am by Karakzon »
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 09:08:29 am »

A new player shouldn't be on those maps anyway, unless they're just looking for Fun from the start.

And the only thing that really works on reanimating biomes is to burrow into the ground and seal yourself up immediately without even your animals. And I can guarantee that you'll have a hard time with this from the very start.

blackravenx

• Bay Watcher
  • Learning Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 09:30:02 am »

What I seen in a couple of videos which shows making a zig/zag 3x3 hallways with a trade room at the end 5x5 with a storage room only accessible to that room. Also noticed people tend to have 1x1 hallways for traps , will all kobolds, gnomes etc only walk in 1x1 when attacking forts? Its a slow process on learning but trying to maximize my learning because I love building up the forts. Once I get this done then I may try and build a upright fort with large walls.. etc.. but that's more advanced I think.
Pages: [1] 2