Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: (DF2014) (Mega)project Bounty Board  (Read 6268 times)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: (DF2014) (Mega)project Bounty Board
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 09:45:37 am »

I love those temples, BTW the icon of the temple of the god of blight and disease looks like an electric guitar :p
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Bodkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Hoondat Report
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2014, 11:04:55 am »

The Temple of Trade:

If traders wants access to my wondrous works, they have to show real commitment. That's why I want to put a trade depot deep underground. The very long path leading down to it will meander through all four corners of the map as it descends, more than once if I find it aesthetically proper. A stream of water will run alongside it all the way. Statues, coffins, and memorial slabs for the dwarves who died to make this trading experience possible will appear at regular intervals. Every last bit of the path, including the stream bed, will be first smoothed then engraved, except in the soil layers, which will be marked with paved roads, arches, and lined with statues. Any needed bridges or aqueducts must be built of the best available metal. If any gems or metals are dug out of the walls, then those spaces must be filled with bars or blocks of the best available material.

Finally, when the stream reaches the trade depot, the water will fall through the floor, and cascade over a masterwork statue garden at the center of the Great Great Hall, which ought to be a very fine project in itself.

Style points for finding ways to make the water run red with blood. Still more if a safe way to do this with magma can be worked out, but the chunky flow seems to me too likely to overflow the stream bed and spill onto the trader road.

Limitations: Will traders give up if the distance / time to reach the depot is too great? Does the timer that tells them when to leave begin counting down when they enter the map, or when they reach the depot? If there is such a limit, I plan on learning it the hard way.
I have so far executed three dwarves by means of impalement ... for bringing cats into my fortress.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2014, 11:13:49 am »

The Temple of Trade:

If traders wants access to my wondrous works, they have to show real commitment. That's why I want to put a trade depot deep underground. The very long path leading down to it will meander through all four corners of the map as it descends, more than once if I find it aesthetically proper.

Bear in mind, if merchant #2 arrives while #1 is still departing, you'll need room for one to go around the other.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Azrayel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2014, 11:24:11 am »

Dwarven Highway

In my latest world, all of the mountain halls and fortresses and forts are right next to one another, and almost all are connected by underground roads--the events that occur after settling a year or so in are always establishing these road links.  While mechanically they probably won't work, your mission should you choose to accept it:

Build your site down to the cavern level, and have an adventurer's depot\underground tavern\restocking point for travelling adventurers.

Bonus:  Have easily or logically accessible surface routing (from the perspective of someone in Adventure mode), so you don't get stuck underground like with many AI built fortresses.

EditBonus:  Functional, paved, fortified highways leading up to the edges of the cavern that the Adventurer could theoretically enter and travel along, perhaps via some mechanism.
I then asked a porcupine about its troubles and the game crashed.

Motherland Calling: Tsar Needs Block Breakers

gtaguy

• Bay Watcher
  • {Curly Brace}
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2014, 12:01:45 pm »

I have a simple idea.

Have a dwarf launching minecart gun that shoots military dwarves onto a featherwood landing pad behind the enemy forces.
Quote from: GoldenShadow
I don't understand why you need magma.
Quote from: Duuvian
Well done OP, you've inadvertently weaponized ghosts.

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2014, 09:57:37 pm »

I love those temples, BTW the icon of the temple of the god of blight and disease looks like an electric guitar :p
Amusing thought, though it's meant to be a skull.  Though it worked out that it looks like two streams of venom or poison are streaming out of its mouth.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2014, 02:57:29 pm »

So... nothing new since 2 weeks. What's everyone's progress on whatever you guys decided to take on?

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2014, 03:01:27 pm »

I know I am personally waiting for more bugfixes and releases that dont come out once a week before I start something...

For instance this release today fixed the wool -> thread stack issues of using entire stacks to make one thread was kind of a big deal...I really dont want to start a long term project knowing what I consider to be vital fixes could be right around the corner

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2014, 11:48:15 am »

So, is DF finally stable enough for this thread to work as intended now?

Unfortunately, I don't have any new ideas at the time.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2014, 01:14:57 pm »

I would say it is ready indeed. I am going to start mine soon

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2014, 01:56:14 pm »

Okay, I completely suck at construction and design, but what I'd love to see is:

A castle+underground fortress+massive tower+mountain. The first thing you'd see if you came here is a multi-z level wall, encircling the mountain, with one 5x10 drawbridge over a watery moat being the only way in, a wooden wall encircling the moat with only one z-level. Then, a courtyard, full of garden patches, statues, bee hives, and some mini archer-towers made of wood. Then, you reach the mountain, mostly devoid of the ramps. A drawbridge, lined up perfectly with the wall drawbridge, leading to a wide and statue lined hall, any memorial slabs placed between each statue, starting from the furthest point from the entrance and working it's way to the door. A 3x3 stairway going down multiple z-levels, each level containing a room spanning 47x25, with the stairs being in the middle. Each floor is dedicated to something else: stone and stone block storage, crafters, kilns/wood burners/smelters, etc. Each noble gets on floor dedicated just to him. A massive 25x25x20 z-level tower pops up near the outer wall, with fortifications for archers to shoot out of, only accessible through a hatch in the ground leading to an underground tunnel from nearly the bottom floor. All rooms smoothed, with noble's rooms engraved, the dirt layers except for one floored with stone, the furthest natural wall replaced with stone fortifications. No cavern intersection, no magma unless it comes in through a wall through a ton of pipes. Bedrooms being handled with good dormitories, all chairs, statues, tables, and doors being stone, the drawbridges being made of wood. On a savage plains/grassland/shrubland/anywhere with giant big cats. The entire thing MUST be done in Ironhand or Phoebus tile sets, with multi-level view on.

Bonus points for roofing the entire thing.
Bonus points for having a river run along the outer wall.
Bonus points for doing it with modded in humans.
Bonus points for a roc/cave dragon/dragon hatchery.

Thanks! Hope it's not too big.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2014, 03:15:00 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I've got some of that stuff, at least! The statues, the bees, the walls, the castle, the wooden wall running along the river (currently 5 z-levels tall..).. No archer towers, but I've got a chained zombie elven crossbowman on the roof above the entrance that helps keep the keas at bay (and three blind cave trolls chained down below, one of which just had a baby) :>

No mountain, though.. That big flat area in the east is where I cut the mountain away :>

Screenshot of the main hall..

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2014, 03:35:06 pm »

Nice skull.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2014, 07:57:16 pm »

It came out alright, surprisingly :> Still working on 'designation appearance versus end result' stuff for how the image looks at the end.. Here's a fish :> Doesn't qualify as a mega project, but maybe it'll inspire one :)

Naglfar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2014, 09:10:16 pm »

Flood the map with lava and live in buildings similar to those of The Jetsons.

There is no cow level.
Pages: 1 [2] 3