Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Things which match the technology level / stated setting that aren't in the game  (Read 8165 times)

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The set temperature of nethercap is 0°C (34°F), the exact melting point of water. And due to how temperature works in DF, it cannot freeze water. Pykrete was apparently reported to lose its strengths at temperatures above -15°C (something like 4F, i think).

If you have a very cold embark, you could make pykrete by combining wood with water and letting it freeze. This material could be exempt from the standard flash-melting.

1.  Pykrete is still stable and solid at 34*F.

Certainly not - pykrete gets all its stability from frozen water, and water simply isn't frozen at 34°F, because, as you pointed out, it melts at 32°F. Pykrete melts very slowly and still remains pykrete-ish at higher temperatures (although the wikipedia article says it "sagged under its own weight" at temperatures above -15°C), because real-world wood chips isolate, but if you postulate nethercap to be a heat superconductor to force 0°C Right Now, you just get a bucketfull of cold soggy wood chips, no pykrete, and you can't make it freeze when you start with liquid water. When starting out at freezing temperatures, you'd still fare better using non-nethercap wood for making pykrete, because normal wood actually isolates. I'm not saying pykrete shouldn't exist in DF, i'm saying nethercap's the wrong way to try it.

As for metals - i just don't find variety through more things doing basically the same thing particularly engaging (yeah, i'm less than thrilled about the load of new plants), although, hey, it wouldn't Ruin DF Forever for me.

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile

The set temperature of nethercap is 0°C (34°F), the exact melting point of water. And due to how temperature works in DF, it cannot freeze water. Pykrete was apparently reported to lose its strengths at temperatures above -15°C (something like 4F, i think).

If you have a very cold embark, you could make pykrete by combining wood with water and letting it freeze. This material could be exempt from the standard flash-melting.

1.  Pykrete is still stable and solid at 34*F.

Certainly not - pykrete gets all its stability from frozen water, and water simply isn't frozen at 34°F, because, as you pointed out, it melts at 32°F. Pykrete melts very slowly and still remains pykrete-ish at higher temperatures (although the wikipedia article says it "sagged under its own weight" at temperatures above -15°C), because real-world wood chips isolate, but if you postulate nethercap to be a heat superconductor to force 0°C Right Now, you just get a bucketfull of cold soggy wood chips, no pykrete, and you can't make it freeze when you start with liquid water. When starting out at freezing temperatures, you'd still fare better using non-nethercap wood for making pykrete, because normal wood actually isolates. I'm not saying pykrete shouldn't exist in DF, i'm saying nethercap's the wrong way to try it.

As for metals - i just don't find variety through more things doing basically the same thing particularly engaging (yeah, i'm less than thrilled about the load of new plants), although, hey, it wouldn't Ruin DF Forever for me.

1.  The wood pulp in the mixture increases the freezing point of the water in the mixture, you have to keep that in mind - wood pulp is not the only additive which exists which can raise the freezing point of water.  Also, you should take into account more modern tests, like what Mythbusters did. 

2.  Nethercap doesn't show any signs of being a superconductor.  I would guess that whatever magical effect makes it be cold is converting heat energy into another form of energy... which would be just fine in this sort of mixture.
Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress: An expansion mod giving extra realistic options to many un-and-underused materials in game.  [currently out of date, may be revived in the future]

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do you have a source? In general, melting points are _lowered_ when mixing substances; exceptions are pretty rare.

Anyway, looking at results from the people who spent quite a bit of time and effort examining the practicality of the stuff, they definitely intended to keep the bulk of their "bergship" cooled to -15°C (they considered this the highest practical temperature, after testing how it behaved).
http://www.igsoc.org/journal.old/1/3/igs_journal_vol01_issue003_pg95-104.pdf

If you're thinking of the mythbusters' boat, that used paper (which is quite a bit more than just wood pulp) and it started melting the moment it touched liquid water. It held up for about half an hour with occasional solid-CO2 doses to freeze-weld leaks shut, but was pretty frayed at the end.

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile

Do you have a source? In general, melting points are _lowered_ when mixing substances; exceptions are pretty rare.

Anyway, looking at results from the people who spent quite a bit of time and effort examining the practicality of the stuff, they definitely intended to keep the bulk of their "bergship" cooled to -15°C (they considered this the highest practical temperature, after testing how it behaved).
http://www.igsoc.org/journal.old/1/3/igs_journal_vol01_issue003_pg95-104.pdf

If you're thinking of the mythbusters' boat, that used paper (which is quite a bit more than just wood pulp) and it started melting the moment it touched liquid water. It held up for about half an hour with occasional solid-CO2 doses to freeze-weld leaks shut, but was pretty frayed at the end.

1.  I'm aware where they intended to keep it lowered to... but it's not really an option, now is it?

2.  The Mythbusters boat was in liquid water, i.e. water which was above the freezing point.  So... It's rather obvious according to the laws of thermodynamics that heat transfer would take place, and the pykrete would melt. 
Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress: An expansion mod giving extra realistic options to many un-and-underused materials in game.  [currently out of date, may be revived in the future]

Nopenope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

• Salt: Something like a furnace that requires water underneath and fuel (as well as a jug) and produces salt as output. Or a way to grind rock salt into actual salt. Then salt could be sold or used for cooking.
  • Sericulture: adding custom vermin and making them grow silk.
  • Greek fire: a way to make siege engines more interesting.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 01:57:45 pm by Nopenope »

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile

I'd like to see a salt industry. Something like a furnace that requires water underneath and fuel (as well as a jug) and produces salt as output. Or a way to grind rock salt into actual salt. Then salt could be sold or used for cooking.

I'd like to see this too, but it may need to wait for cooking recipes or w/e.  Though it could be done just as a trade good or something.

Nopenope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I believe salt was used as a currency by some civilizations, so it would be very pertinent as a trade good. Also there needs to be rock salt veins, so dwarves can literally be sent to the salt mines.

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile

Honey Dipped Bandages. The ancient egyptians used them and honey has anti-bacterial properties, IIRC. This would make bee keeping a lot more useful than it currently is.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

Scruiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Composite/laminated materials: composite bows, studded leather armor, lacque/leather/metal armor (like samuri), quilted materials, chinese paper armor, etc.  For it to work really well (as opposed to mods now that use two materials in a reaction to make a third material), the game should support some way of layering/combining materials and working out properties from the properties of the original.  Maybe take the best trait of each material, so for example leather+metal gets leathers flexibility and the metals strength while reducing overall weight?

Medical materials in general, salves/poultice and the like, medicines (as appropriate for time period).  The could be made using the existing system for reactions and then applied when appropriate injury comes up.  So basically its just an extra medical job in terms of new underlying game mechanics.  The raws would give the medical usage and a rating in effiacy. tags like [MEDICAL_USE:TOPICAL]  or [MEDICAL:USE:ORAL] for how its applied, and tags [MEDICAL_USE:HEAL_CUT:1]  [MEDICAL_USE:INFECTION:3] for when to use it.  For extra detail though, have some medicines only useful to counteract certain syndromes, and soem medicines be nothing more than placebos (which still give a happy thought for "received medicine".

Tempering/quenching and other processes made explicit.  Like I think right now steel's properties assume tempering, but it could be added as an extra step that alters the metal.  Either the metal's stats could give a range of properties based on different treatments, or it could be a fixed modifier across all materials for a given treatment.  Boiling could apply to leather for extra strength, heat treating for wood, etc.  The material gains a modifier, instead of just the finished item.  The realism/simulation and min-maxing players would like it, though the extra detail would annoy other players probably.

Also, just noticed mod in your sig with your alloys.  I'll check it out sometime.
Things I have never done in Dwarf Fortress;

- Won.

PersonGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am amazed nobody has mentioned gunpowder yet when greekfire has already been mentioned it exist well before 1400 although it only became really good during the 1300s and 1400s with the invention of corning the powder which makes it easier to transport and store and if done right increases the power by around three times. Although during this time period except for certain places in the late 1400s where limbered with trunnions field guns and the arqubus where used it was limited to bombards, bombs, rockets, grenades, handguns, and the breach loading swivel gun.

Scruiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am amazed nobody has mentioned gunpowder yet when greekfire has already been mentioned it exist well before 1400 although it only became really good during the 1300s and 1400s with the invention of corning the powder which makes it easier to transport and store and if done right increases the power by around three times. Although during this time period except for certain places in the late 1400s where limbered with trunnions field guns and the arqubus where used it was limited to bombards, bombs, rockets, grenades, handguns, and the breach loading swivel gun.

Pretty sure Toady has made statements saying he doesn't plan to have and doesn't want to include gunpowder.  Even if its barely in the "1400 cut off" he doesn't think it fits thematically.  Anyone got the searching skills to find an exact quote?  There are several mods that add it, but it probably unlikely to be added in the main game.  That said, if better support for multiple materials in a single item (gun made of metal barrel and wooden stock, bullets with powder and shot) and for projectile weapons (separating reload and fire actions) is added then modders can handle the rest for those that want gunpowder.
Things I have never done in Dwarf Fortress;

- Won.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Technically we don't know what Greek Fire is.

We have theories, but we don't know for sure. At least last time we checked.

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile

Pretty sure Toady has made statements saying he doesn't plan to have and doesn't want to include gunpowder.  Even if its barely in the "1400 cut off" he doesn't think it fits thematically.  Anyone got the searching skills to find an exact quote?  There are several mods that add it, but it probably unlikely to be added in the main game.  That said, if better support for multiple materials in a single item (gun made of metal barrel and wooden stock, bullets with powder and shot) and for projectile weapons (separating reload and fire actions) is added then modders can handle the rest for those that want gunpowder.

First off Gunpowder is not barely within the 1400-1450 cut off by any means.  Gunpowder had it's roots in the 9-11th Century AD in China, and was in Europe by the 1200's.  Gunpowder saw it's first use in siege weapons in Europe in the year 1262, and hand-cannons made an appearance in the first half of the 1300's.  Cannons were significant by 1400, and undoubtedly so by 1422, with cannons being used by both sides during a siege of Constantinople in that year in large numbers, followed by the fall of Constantinople in 1453, in which the Ottoman's cannons were powerful enough and of great enough numbers that the walls fell for the first time in it's history. 

As for Greek fire, we know enough about it, while we don't know it's true mixture or how it was made, we know that it stuck to objects and continued to burn underwater.  So... yeah that kind of narrows it down somewhat to what it could be based on what materials and technology they had available. 

Also, I do believe Toady's statement was we wouldn't see more than basic usage of gunpowder.  I believe he said traps are likely, but he wasn't sure of including cannons of any sort.

That said, I personally believe basic cannons, alongside hand cannons and trap usage all have a place in the game, which is why I do include hand-cannons in my mod.

Composite/laminated materials: composite bows, studded leather armor, lacque/leather/metal armor (like samuri), quilted materials, chinese paper armor, etc.  For it to work really well (as opposed to mods now that use two materials in a reaction to make a third material), the game should support some way of layering/combining materials and working out properties from the properties of the original.  Maybe take the best trait of each material, so for example leather+metal gets leathers flexibility and the metals strength while reducing overall weight?

Medical materials in general, salves/poultice and the like, medicines (as appropriate for time period).  The could be made using the existing system for reactions and then applied when appropriate injury comes up.  So basically its just an extra medical job in terms of new underlying game mechanics.  The raws would give the medical usage and a rating in effiacy. tags like [MEDICAL_USE:TOPICAL]  or [MEDICAL:USE:ORAL] for how its applied, and tags [MEDICAL_USE:HEAL_CUT:1]  [MEDICAL_USE:INFECTION:3] for when to use it.  For extra detail though, have some medicines only useful to counteract certain syndromes, and soem medicines be nothing more than placebos (which still give a happy thought for "received medicine".

Tempering/quenching and other processes made explicit.  Like I think right now steel's properties assume tempering, but it could be added as an extra step that alters the metal.  Either the metal's stats could give a range of properties based on different treatments, or it could be a fixed modifier across all materials for a given treatment.  Boiling could apply to leather for extra strength, heat treating for wood, etc.  The material gains a modifier, instead of just the finished item.  The realism/simulation and min-maxing players would like it, though the extra detail would annoy other players probably.

Also, just noticed mod in your sig with your alloys.  I'll check it out sometime.

1. I too want to see composites in the game, but that I am guessing is planned and there is probably a lot of coding which would be required in order to add them.

2. And as much as I'd like to see medication... again, something which would require a lot of coding.  Alum powder and elemental sulfur, and all those other medications of the time would be nice.

3.  I'm not sure the steel assumes tempering as the in-game version doesn't fall far from untreated 1060 carbon steel.  (as pointed out by my OP in the spoiler box)  But given material properties change - that should be shown.  Yet at the same time there should be a quality modifier and a risk involved.  After all, poorly heat treated metals tend to be weaker than metal that hasn't been heat treated at all.  Yet again, something which would require a lot of coding, though at the same time perhaps we could come up with an in-term solution of a simple reaction to turn untreated metal to a heat treated version. 

Nopenope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think there should be also reactions that make a use of driftwood and petrified wood. Probably at the carpenter's, or maybe a custom worksho.

Dorf and Dumb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was going to suggest cupronickel myself, but I was too lazy to look up the data.  Thanks!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5