Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Friendly Necromancer  (Read 1602 times)

Lapoleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Friendly Necromancer
« on: July 10, 2014, 03:47:52 pm »

Unfortunately due to time constraints I have been unable to try this myself but has anyone tried to retire an adventurer with knowledge of necromancy in a fort. I'm really curious to see if this would lead to friendly zombies.

My plan (if no-one beats me to it) is as follows:
1: Create fort of civilization X
2: Retire fort
3: Create adventurer of civ X
4: Learn secrets of life and death
5: Retire adventurer in relevant fort
6: Unretire fort
7: Profit/Weaponize

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Friendly Necromancer
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 04:04:50 pm »

In the new version, zombies raised by necromancers seem to share their master's alleigences, though it's somewhat fickiny in how it interacts with emotions, so necromancers can very easily end up running away from their own undead in horror.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 05:22:49 pm »

@archereon

Does this mean corpses raised by your necromancers won't kill your own dwarves? That would be quite a change if that's true.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 05:32:52 pm »

Not necessarily, as necromancer towers see frequent peeudo-loyalty cascades occur between zombies and necromancers for unclear reasons, so be cautious.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 06:23:08 pm by Archereon »
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 09:40:22 am »

I've tried to gain access to a slab but trying to leave a tower keeps causing a crash.

m-logik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 11:08:56 am »

I've tried to gain access to a slab but trying to leave a tower keeps causing a crash.

I've also tried gaining access to a slab, but trying to enter a tower keeps causing pulped limbs.

Zed has gotten an upgrade.

Doesn't the OPPOSED_TO_LIFE  tag make undead indiscriminately hostile regardless of entity membership?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 11:10:32 am »

I've also tried gaining access to a slab, but trying to enter a tower keeps causing pulped limbs.

Zed has gotten an upgrade.

Doesn't the OPPOSED_TO_LIFE  tag make undead indiscriminately hostile regardless of entity membership?

I snuck in in a blatant exploit. I had to kill a disembodied hand outside but nothing else bothered me.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 02:02:12 pm »

embark on the tower
lock the doors
channel and mine out underneat the tower, and support it with a support
connect to lever at safe distance
pull lever.

that's how you get the delicious tablets and books in a necro tower. ;)

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 02:09:57 pm »

that's how you get the delicious tablets and books in a necro tower. ;)

Well, you do need DFHack to get updated first, so we can embark anywhere...

Delicious, and unfortunately completely useless for fort mode. But build the slab somewhere accessible, retire the fort, and visit it as an adventurer! Free necromancy! Yaaay!
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Lapoleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 01:43:55 am »

After finally having some time to experiment and many, many crashes I was able to try what I wanted. Alas, my dreams of a Necromancer Fortress whose livestock industry would double as a zombie army were not to be. Apparently settling an adventurer with necromantic powers in a fortress turns him hostile once you unretire the fortress.
Before retiring the adventurer I was able to chat with the local dwarves without any problems or hostility but when I returned to the fort the dwarves were milling about on the surface and my necromancer was listed as an enemy  :'(