Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Has anyone else noticed...  (Read 1647 times)

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Has anyone else noticed...
« on: July 10, 2014, 10:15:01 am »

That if you retire a fort and look in legends mode, it says that they "Regained their senses after another period of questionable judgement"?

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone else noticed...
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 10:18:53 am »

That generally describes the mental state of most people who retire a fort. "Wait, what am I doing? This is boring. Screw this."
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 10:53:01 am »

LOL.
I know that adventures had custom describtions in legends, nice to see a bit of this with the forts.
Makes sense too, the dwarves in the new "normal" dwarf fortress aren't occasionally mysteriously ordered to build a contraption to pour magma into their own fortress after 20 or so years of successfully running.
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 11:14:37 am »

Urist McLord: Alright, dwarves, time to build a magma cannon to kill ALL THE ELVES.
Urist McLegendaryMason: That's an unusual demand.
Urist McLord: Can't talk, getting more messages.
*Urist McLegendaryMason slaps Urist McLord*
Urist McLord: Suddenly I feel... sane. Halt the magma cannon.
*overseer flees*

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 01:44:43 am »

That if you retire a fort and look in legends mode, it says that they "Regained their senses after another period of questionable judgement"?
The first time you retire it says "after an initial period". Unretiring says they "were taken by a mood to act against their better judgement".

(On a side note, my liaison has gone berserk, the wagons are dead/missing, and my fort is saved from wagon pathing-related FPS death.)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 02:40:09 am »

So the entire game mode is just a fortress-wide strange mood that kills everyone when there's not enough time or resources for the player's plan to work?

I can see it.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 03:02:44 am »

Hm. I only did two test retirements. Both were reclaimed worldgen forts that I immediately retired. I never saw the "after an initial period" one.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 05:33:57 am »

Oh dear it's so true.

If Panando was a dwarf he would "aspire to flood the world with magma". Since most dwarves aspire to make a masterful piece of art or raise a family and think it's frigging awesome to craft an artifact larch earring, I could understand them questioning his judgement....
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 07:49:42 am »

Hm. I only did two test retirements. Both were reclaimed worldgen forts that I immediately retired. I never saw the "after an initial period" one.
That kind of makes sense. An "initial period" would mean at the fort's beginning, which worldgen forts have already had. However, it doesn't make sense to say "another period" if it's the first time. It would make more sense to just say "a period" for all retirements.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?