Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 454458 times)

evillevi

• Bay Watcher
  • Love Boat murder
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #3105 on: December 05, 2016, 03:47:55 am »

So today I'm starting another game though with a couple of catch that I don't know how to solve.

First is there a way to pause the game if and when a building destroyer comes a knocking.

Besides fort value, what else can I do (modding included) to make sieges a lot more dangerous as late game comes around.

I'm going to run deterioate clothes/bodies/food to try to keep FPS up but would it actually help with FPS?.

Lastly how do I mod it so that Candy wafers are used in the same ratio as normal bars. Im planning to use the infinite metal exploit and simply stay in the top 5 layers or so to avoid breaching into the caverns and once again conserve that FPS.
Love Boat murder

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3106 on: December 05, 2016, 04:02:57 am »

1) http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Announcements.txt

2) Vanilla, perhaps progressively raise/uncap max siegers and get sieged from 10k pop forts/towns? But that could be just more tedious. Fortress defence mod (also incorporated in masterwork) makes use of 110 and 140 pop siege triggers though, iirc.

3) Dunno. Why not make a backup, test it, save it, restart it?

4) http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Adamantine Ctrl+F wafers. Oh hey, [WAFERS] tag.

evillevi

• Bay Watcher
  • Love Boat murder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3107 on: December 05, 2016, 04:11:09 am »

Thanks for the quick reply :D

That said I don't understand the last point. Do I just delete the wafer tag?
Love Boat murder

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3108 on: December 05, 2016, 04:41:50 am »

Think so. Adamantine bars are just called "wafers" in game, but they're still treated as bars and the smelter reaction to produce it from thread produces 1 bar as well.

OAOGigmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey Domas! Let's visit the tavern with DEMONS!"
    • View Profile
    • OAOGigmaster's Twitch Channel
« Reply #3109 on: December 05, 2016, 11:51:34 am »

Whenever I think of adamantine 'wafers,' I always think of these things: http://lh3.ggpht.com/_n3oKJOxRoMw/Sj8txG1TtsI/AAAAAAAAAjk/TZYuhfDtJ_o/07_01_23B38_web%5B4%5D.jpg

I'd be all over knowing about advanced !SIEGE! science myself. I made my prior fort expecting to get sieged around the cloak. Not so much.
Mondays @ 4pm EST, 9pm GMT: Dwarf Fortress Nightmares
Fridays @ 4pm EST, 9pm GMT: Dwarf Fortress Successions
twitch.tv/oaogigmaster

"Of course the frelling monarch is the last to die."

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3110 on: December 05, 2016, 12:06:15 pm »

« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 12:18:32 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
« Reply #3111 on: December 05, 2016, 05:07:32 pm »

I had built and retired a fort with an inn that had a tavern keeper and two performers assigned to it.

I am now there in Adventure mode trying to ask the inkeeper and the performers about available services and they keep telling me they do not work there. They also refuse to state their profession when asked. Yet, there is a leatherworker in here getting drunk off his ass regularly asking the tavern keeper to bring him more booze, which he does.

Is there some reason these guys are lying to me and refusing to serve me?

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3112 on: January 05, 2017, 11:24:56 am »

Someone had to rescue this lovely thread!   ;D

1.  Is anyone aware of a way to rename a fort well after embark?  I couldn't find any DFHack commands for it.

2.  I suddenly stopped getting migrants, liaison, or dwarf caravans about 5 years ago.  I am getting a simple relentless "The fortress attracted no migrants this season" (danger is not mentioned).  I am getting human caravans so it is not a depot issue.  The King died and one of my dwarves became Queen roughly around the time that this started to happen.  The Civ is still listed in the civ screen and Export shows 3k dwarves and many sites. The fort (87 dwarves) is slowly losing dwarves to attrition from sieges (losing ~4-5 dwarves/year) so this is becoming critical (I play with Fortress Defense, no traps or turtling).  The goblins have trashed virtually every dwarven site near me and the remainder of my civ is way on the other side of a mountain range - could it be an out of proximity issue?  If so, do dwarves come and reclaim their sites?  The goblin rampage appears to be over and their civ is on the wane.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 11:27:19 am by Werdna »
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

YetAnotherLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3113 on: January 05, 2017, 02:30:31 pm »

Dunno about 1. Regarding 2, it may be a unit list issue. Check out the DFHack script fix/dead-units; Fortress Defense bloats the units list with dead invaders very rapidly, so it's possible you hit the level at which all migration stops.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3114 on: January 05, 2017, 03:05:46 pm »

Thanks YAL, I forgot to mention that.  I had ran it before, but the output was "0 units" or something like that.  Will fiddle with it again when I get home.

In the meantime, a 3rd question: at DFMA, there are maps there that have my tileset (Phoebus, I think, via LNP).  Yet when I Export from DF, the bmp's are all in the vanilla tileset.  How do I export images using my tileset? 

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3115 on: January 05, 2017, 07:51:00 pm »

Hm. My exporting has been fine in using tileset as the output. Now, my approach for getting tilesets to work is "hit them with a hammer of increasing size till it works", so I'm hardly the best to answer this, but...

1. Are both the fullscreen AND windowed tilesets set to Phoebus in init.txt?
2. If yes to above, is graphics disabled in that same file? If it isn't, are it's fullscreen and windowed fonts Phoebus as well?

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3116 on: January 05, 2017, 11:29:18 pm »

[DFHack]# fix/dead-units
Units removed from active: 0 of 232

Doesn't seem like that did much?  It's a shame because the symptoms fit this issue so perfectly.

Phoebus is turned on under the GRAPHICS section but not the normal one.  Isn't the WINDOWED/FULLSCREEN settings just for the menus?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT:  That was it; changing it to FONT:Phoebus_16x16.png and FULLFONT:Phoebus_16x16.png allowed them to export with Phoebus.  Thanks FF.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 11:39:07 pm by Werdna »

YetAnotherLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3117 on: January 07, 2017, 02:08:29 pm »

[DFHack]# fix/dead-units
Units removed from active: 0 of 232

Doesn't seem like that did much?  It's a shame because the symptoms fit this issue so perfectly.
Oh, 200ish active units isn't nearly enough to stop migrants entirely. I think it takes a few thousand for that. You've almost certainly fallen victim to the disappearing merchant caravan bug, where they fail to spawn properly, and get stuck invisibly somewhere. Failure to report back then causes migrant failure. There's a thread somewhere about attempts to fix it after the fact through DFHack, but none have been fully successful in all cases to my knowledge. Did you by any chance have a secured trade depot with only very limited areas available to spawn caravans? That seems to be the most common cause. Anyway, check your stocks screen for items that don't belong to you, and zoom to them. If any of them zoom to somewhere at the map edge, with no visible items, then that rather confirms it. How long has it been since your last caravan?

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3118 on: January 07, 2017, 04:51:53 pm »

What is opening my cages and why?
They get filled up by traps, then sit in a standard "animal" stockpile, I am not giving orders involving them or their occupants.

first the werebear, now a giant rat escaped this way...

EDIT
Now "something pulled a lever"
NOT COOL
What's going on?  :(
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 05:14:09 pm by Lord Snow »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3119 on: January 07, 2017, 08:22:22 pm »

gremlins, maybe