Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 454501 times)

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #3075 on: November 21, 2016, 03:38:43 am »

I feel as though the latest versions of DF have really notched back the difficulty several rungs.

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3076 on: November 21, 2016, 05:05:09 am »

I feel as though the latest versions of DF have really notched back the difficulty several rungs.

It kinda feels like that. I always try to make sure there are a few civs around to fight with and I could swear I had Jutuns close by too.

Aslo those goblin can taverns and libraries make them friendly? Because they seem to love me now...

Well I started a new fortress and got atleast 5 hostile so I hope for some !fun!

I feels so sad when you make doomsday traps and self destruction devices and then you don't even need them. In the last fortress the biggest dangers were the assorted snakes that hung around.

Lost my brookie to that after large parts of his body rotted away. Probably the most fun in that fortress.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3077 on: November 22, 2016, 02:59:53 am »

If you have a tavern, Goblins that are Friendly will stop in for booze. I've had them Petition to join also.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

lobster1050

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: November 22, 2016, 12:08:25 pm »

I'm having real trouble with getting a dangerous enough world for me. My fortress is 7-8 years old now and had one or two ambushes and a few mega beats coming but nothing 'fun'. I've go a lot of wealth both created and imported and exported. Three civs, my own human and goblins and now it looks like the goblins are friendly?
Ambushes? You mean goblins? I thought they were removed from the last versions.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: November 22, 2016, 05:36:17 pm »

I know there is a search function, but I can't seem to find it: Is there some research on slow-moving (under derail speed that is) heavy = loaded minecart trap designs? Apart from the one Larix showed in the soldiers are overrated thread? What is a good load? I am inclined to use lead minecart with water or with 5 clay boulders. I know much heavier loads are possible, but where is a good middle ground that works for you but is still expedient? How do they fare in comparison to fast minecarts.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 05:43:00 pm by taptap »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3080 on: November 22, 2016, 09:51:48 pm »

An empty gold minecart weights 772 urists. A full one weights over 10000 - which I wouldn't expect to kill everything in a hit at non-derail speed.. A ramp bouncer delivers impacts at up to 35k speed, I believe - while roller does better, obviously. Make of that what you will.

Though interestingly, vertical collisions, no matter how high the fall, don't spill the cargo, so there's that advantage for percussion designs. And you can always nest minecarts.

And *tests* If one is falling through stairs, they will keep falling to the bottom even if they kill a dwarf among the way. A farmer died to bring you this information.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3081 on: November 23, 2016, 05:14:11 am »

An empty gold minecart weights 772 urists. A full one weights over 10000 - which I wouldn't expect to kill everything in a hit at non-derail speed.. A ramp bouncer delivers impacts at up to 35k speed, I believe - while roller does better, obviously. Make of that what you will.

Though interestingly, vertical collisions, no matter how high the fall, don't spill the cargo, so there's that advantage for percussion designs. And you can always nest minecarts.

And *tests* If one is falling through stairs, they will keep falling to the bottom even if they kill a dwarf among the way. A farmer died to bring you this information.

When you say a full one, you mean loaded with gold bars? Did you experiment with other / cheaper loads? I will never be able to afford that. (I run galena only embarks more often than not, if lucky I have tetrahedrite as well.) Fun fact: rose gold minecarts have the same weight as pure gold, despite lower gold content, so somewhat cheaper, but still way too expensive for me.

Lead with lead bars ends up with 6100 (about 4 times as heavy as lead with water or 5 clay boulders), but even with lead this is quite resource intensive for my taste.

evillevi

• Bay Watcher
  • Love Boat murder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3082 on: November 23, 2016, 07:45:59 am »

So today while I was experimenting with duplicating metal bars I stumbled upon a problem. Namely that Urist Mcidiot hauler started to flood my managers and book keepers room with stuff (primarily clothes), is this a bug or did I just dorf up and did something stupid?

That said I've been slowly trying to cage anything but have found no luck in actually catching a single thing. Besides using bait (aka the sane way),  is it possible to make a bridge-a-pult that will launch something into cage traps without killing anyone unlucky enough to be on the bridge*.
Love Boat murder

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: November 23, 2016, 09:39:26 am »

Bridge throwing, if it happens, is random.

@taptap:

Loaded with gold nuggets, not that it matters when you aren't nesting - they have same density (though it is cheaper to use boulders than bars - anything made from boulders will have smaller volume). Rose gold statues would be a loss, as they use 75% of gold while only producing 60% of the weight.

I usually run 500 mineral scarcity embarks so I'm very surprised when there isn't gold present.

If you have clay present, then making arbitrarily heavy minecarts is pretty easy if you're willing to nest.

Mind, my setups often end up rather untested against pretty much anything expect perhaps dwarves ^^;; Don't really know what weight would be necessary, but I'd start looking at five times a water boulder since otherwise why not build a watergun?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 09:49:44 am by Fleeting Frames »

Keevu

• Bay Watcher
  • I would rather be with trees.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3084 on: November 23, 2016, 11:06:34 am »

What are the negative effects of unmet needs?
Why won't my scholars and other thinkers in the library leave to do other labors assigned to them if it meets there unmet needs?
Can I convert dwarves to a different religion?
Why won't my military dwarves do any recreation in the tavern if they have a training area assigned to them? (unmet needs due to lack of talking to anyone)
Can dwarves throw parties anymore?
How do I fulfill the need to do a craft if I want to minimize too many items being crafted while keeping the necessary micromanaging low.
How do I fulfill the boring life unmet need? (Or tips to assign dwarves responsibilities to meet needs)
How do I fulfill lack of creativity need?
Do I need my military dwarves to wear socks?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 11:10:19 am by Keevu »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3085 on: November 23, 2016, 03:44:07 pm »

Namely that Urist Mcidiot hauler started to flood my managers and book keepers room with stuff (primarily clothes), is this a bug or did I just dorf up and did something stupid?
if the hauler did something like install furniture in the room, his next job might have been to Pickup Equipment to get new clothing, and that job starts with dropping old clothing on the floor.
That said I've been slowly trying to cage anything but have found no luck in actually catching a single thing. Besides using bait (aka the sane way),  is it possible to make a bridge-a-pult that will launch something into cage traps without killing anyone unlucky enough to be on the bridge*.
If they are wild grazer animals, choose a large open area and make walls (remove natural ramps on hills or build walls), put cage traps in the bottlenecks, wait for it or maybe send a militia squad on a kill order.
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Vorox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: November 23, 2016, 04:39:48 pm »

What are the negative effects of unmet needs?
Why won't my scholars and other thinkers in the library leave to do other labors assigned to them if it meets there unmet needs?
Can I convert dwarves to a different religion?
Why won't my military dwarves do any recreation in the tavern if they have a training area assigned to them? (unmet needs due to lack of talking to anyone)
Can dwarves throw parties anymore?
How do I fulfill the need to do a craft if I want to minimize too many items being crafted while keeping the necessary micromanaging low.
How do I fulfill the boring life unmet need? (Or tips to assign dwarves responsibilities to meet needs)
How do I fulfill lack of creativity need?
1. If they are unmet for too long, they become bad thoughts and if they accumlate, they lead to tantrums.
3.As far as I know there is no way.
4.They will only rest (socialize etc.) when they are inactive.
5.Haven't seen a single one for some versions now.
7.Fighting works.
8.Have them craft something (it must be something that has quality levels, like furniture).
9. They will minimally increase protection, no reason not to have them.
Vorox likes gremlins for their tears.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3087 on: November 23, 2016, 05:43:16 pm »

4.They will only rest (socialize etc.) when they are inactive.
Specifically, check the military squad's Schedule ('m', 's') because if the default schedule was not changed and the squad was told to Train at a barracks, they will be on-duty 24/7 with no time off.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3088 on: November 23, 2016, 05:51:37 pm »

Absolutely. No socks, no war. Proper woolen socks to keep them warm and frostbite away. I assign two (since assigning a single one - although meant as pair - always resulted in bugs in my embarks, i.e. no proper actual equipping).  :P

It is completely roleplay, though.

evillevi

• Bay Watcher
  • Love Boat murder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3089 on: November 24, 2016, 07:50:39 am »

So my first fort died as my brave squad of 5 Yes Dwarfs charged into a 140. It took  a third of the entire might of this formidable army to bring each hero down.

Naturally the reason for why I had to charged into the invading force is because I dwarfed up and forgot to link a lever to my retractable Wall Bridge.

That said my question is about Ponds. How do I get more than 1 person to start filling the pond up?
Love Boat murder
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 268