Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: v0.34 Where's them big fishies?  (Read 604 times)

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
v0.34 Where's them big fishies?
« on: July 08, 2014, 10:25:51 pm »

I embarked near an ocean, but in over a year have not spotted a single aquatic creature. What gives?
Also, I'm a bit confused about fishing to extinction. The wiki says that fishing from ponds will make the fish in the ponds eventually go extinct. But fishing from rivers will not. However there is then a bug link on the same page that seems to imply that fish will go extinct even in rivers, too. Which one is true?
Feeling down? Click Here!

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: v0.34 Where's them big fishies?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 10:54:17 pm »

If you want to see new sea creatures, or any new creatures for that matter, start hunting or otherwise disposing of the ones you currently have wandering the embark area. There can only be so many groups critters wandering around your embark at any given time so if you remove one group it will free the slot for the another to come along.

Also, be sure to check the units screen for creatures rather than looking through the Z levels one by one since fliers and swimmers can hide in the depths and skies.

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 10:57:29 pm »

Everything I have heard/read about this indicates that any aquatic creatures will go extinct from fishing, and possibly just killing in general. I have avoided fishing because of this but while I think this is still true if you can catch fish everything I have heard/read indicates that it is a good food source.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 08:30:30 am »

Oh yeah, I do have some capybara or something animals that have been loitering in the corner of my embark for a year. Guess I'll go kill or scare them off.

It's weird that you say hunting aquatic creatures will eventually drive them to extinction. I know about fishing (vermin fish) to extinction, but have never heard of actual creatures that wander in and out of the embark area of going extinct.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 09:12:31 am »

It's weird that you say hunting aquatic creatures will eventually drive them to extinction. I know about fishing (vermin fish) to extinction, but have never heard of actual creatures that wander in and out of the embark area of going extinct.
At least in 0.34 (might be different in 0.40), you can drive all local wildlife to extinction. For vermin fish in ponds and rivers it only takes a few years, for other creatures it takes a lot longer. I had forts in pocket worlds where the cavern creatures went extinct after about 30 years, and the surface creatures left are mostly birds and animal men.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 11:18:24 am »

Oh, hm. But 30 years, you say? That'll probably still work for what I intend to do. I wanted to have a very few dwarves surviving at the edge of the ocean by fishing and hunting aquatic creatures (by traps or something). A few dwarves don't really eat that much so I won't need to hunt that much. Problem is I embarked and immediately my fisherdwarves report that the river and the ocean have no fish, and there are no aquatic creatures yet   :-\

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 11:37:22 am »

Well, you might get animals from the other non-aquatic biome too, like those capybaras. You've been only playing a year, that isn't much, just wait a few more years and some should show up. You can speed up the process by killing all animals you don't want, as that will cause new ones to spawn.