Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The next version  (Read 2247 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: The next version
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2014, 06:18:57 pm »

This update is absolutely the biggest update since Z levels, no question about it.

Note that this is objectively true; the Z-level update was 0.23 to 0.27. This update was 0.34 to 0.40. That's a bigger jump in version percentage.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2014, 07:49:29 pm »

Other than everything you're saying being false as others have pointed out, people really need to stop thinking of DF as 'fortress mode' and 'adventure mode' and thinking of it as the fantasy world simulator it actually is.
To be fair, these are still distinct modes within the game. It's reasonable to view them as separate, because they are. You have to choose one or the other when you start a new game.

It's a legitimate way to look at the game, but if you're to have an opinion on future development you pretty much need to understand Toady's long term goals, which is erasing the divide between the two.

Uristsonsonson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2014, 08:33:04 pm »

Honestly as someone who plays for fortress mode alone, I'm fairly disappointed by having waited two years for largely no great improvements - it's as though we got approximately one or two bullet points out of ten

Two years ago the army arc was all the rage, that seems to have mostly disappeared

I wonder if the devs realize 90% of DF players play fortress mode exclusively, because seems like they shafted us on this release

Other than everything you're saying being false as others have pointed out, people really need to stop thinking of DF as 'fortress mode' and 'adventure mode' and thinking of it as the fantasy world simulator it actually is. Everything added to either mode will eventually tie together. Besides, whining about adventure mode getting attention instead of fortress mode is like whining about feeding starving 3rd world children when we could be spending that money on Hollywood celebrities.

EXACTLY. A lot of people don't seem to get the bigger picture with this thing. Toady is aiming towards a PROCEDURAL FANTASY WORLD GENERATOR, not just a Fortress game or an adventure game. Those are just windows to interact with the world. Presumably we'll eventually have more windows, plus starting scenarios, and whatnot. This update is absolutely the biggest update since Z levels, no question about it. The world is now ALIVE post worldgen, this is a HUGE HUGE HUGE deal. What we have now is the foundations to add everything else mentioned in all the dev notes.

Anyway, for the next big update after bug fixes I am hoping for more site related stuff. I.E. taverns & inns, mines and other industry sites, more realistic village layouts, schedules for NPC's inside sites so they are not just faking activities but actually doing things with an actual purpose and schedule, etc, oh and improvement and expansion of sites for other races as well. Probably throw in the crime and justice stuff along with this, so we have drama and thievery and justice going on inside these improved sites.  Oh and throw in the ghosts and other additional night creatures that Toady hinted at back before DF2012 was released. I want those ruined/abandoned towns to have haunted structures! This stuff should come before the Army ARC in my opinion because it will give the armies and nations things to actually fight over and it provides a framework to start adding real faction diplomacy, politics, etc, I.E. wars and diplomacy with REAL purpose and not just faked or abstracted stuff. I.E. the humans and Dwarves go to war because human miners have taken over a valuable mine near the border and are refusing to leave, etc. I admit this stuff will have more immediate benefit for Adventure Mode players BUT it helps Dwarf Mode in the long term by creating a great foundation for the Army ARC that could come after.
This. This is what I'm waiting for. When we have real taverns and can participate in battles and do things with our new leadership positions. Hopefully it comes out soon. I'm predicting 0.40.02 in... three weeks.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2014, 08:39:01 pm »

I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2014, 08:54:00 pm »

This. This is what I'm waiting for. When we have real taverns and can participate in battles and do things with our new leadership positions. Hopefully it comes out soon. I'm predicting 0.40.02 in... three weeks.

Given the bugs, I give it less than 5 days. That's how long 0.34.02 took, at least.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2014, 09:03:49 pm »

Then hopefully there's a 1-2 month period where some smaller things that were slated for this release but left out are put in along with some optimization. After that... who knows. Maybe another 2 year break, after which the invaders in fortress mode will come from real places. Hell, maybe fortress placement will actually influence how often you're attacked!
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2014, 09:33:06 pm »

(note in case I didn't clarify this in FotF: all invaders in fort mode come from places in the current version -- they even have to walk all the way there and make their little camps, but they probably don't care about distance, aside from the seas)

(yeah, the only things keeping the next one from being in ~5 days will be the crashes being super difficult to fix and/or the apartment continuing to be like an oven...  the little fan is my friend)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 09:35:40 pm by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

My Urist Eternal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2014, 09:39:35 pm »

(yeah, the only things keeping the next one from being in ~5 days will be the crashes being super difficult to fix and/or the apartment continuing to be like an oven...  the little fan is my friend)

Hope the $$$ I sent you today will help out with that -- if not, I am sending more when I get my next paycheck.  :)

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2014, 12:43:12 am »

(note in case I didn't clarify this in FotF: all invaders in fort mode come from places in the current version -- they even have to walk all the way there and make their little camps, but they probably don't care about distance, aside from the seas)

Buy a bigger fan Lol. No air conditioner?
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2014, 12:48:32 am »

No, this place has heat but no cooling.  Can't open windows due to a certain notorious lardy 4-legged being, as well as the cigarette smoke.  So I have my fan and my water.  It is okay, but not super okay.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2014, 12:52:06 am »

...Within the next two weeks we will see the first bugfix release

What? Two weeks?

I REALLY do hope Toady goes back to how he used to develop this when only an handful of us knew about it, namely with very frequent releases, often just one day or two apart.

And I also do hope for a very long time he won't go back at doing total rewrites that take months or years. It's about time he spends some time fixing the most basic stuff and polish this to a sheen. THEN he should think of starting something big again.

1. This completely relies on the codebase being as easy to work with as it was 8 years ago, which is probably the most ridiculous assumption that has ever been made on this forum.
2. Oh, yeah, because he didn't spend 7 months on an update starting 5 months after the game was first released.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2014, 01:38:24 am »

No, this place has heat but no cooling.  Can't open windows due to a certain notorious lardy 4-legged being, as well as the cigarette smoke.  So I have my fan and my water.  It is okay, but not super okay.
Can't you put a screen in the window, or will he shred it?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2014, 02:24:02 am »

In the past he has jumped up on it with all four feet and almost fallen out of a third story window.  The little champion.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2014, 04:50:50 am »

Slatted shutters?

EDIT: Although I guess that doesn't help with the cigarette smoke you mention.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2014, 06:24:04 am »

Instead of money, someone should donate a bigger/better/faster/stronger fan to Toady this month.
I wish I could do that, but all I have is money... (first world problems :P)
Pages: 1 [2] 3