Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How I became the lord of Inkentered (Player insanity?)  (Read 4480 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
How I became the lord of Inkentered (Player insanity?)
« on: July 08, 2014, 11:33:47 am »

So, I generated a pocket world with a short history, average amount of sites and civilizations and other things that would make it a relatively smooth (for my PC) world to experience.

Because I never play Fortress mode, I went straight into Adv. Mode as a dwarf named Bomrek Ethabber "Rinseearth", your average axedwarf superhero demigod. I've been plunged into the only currently existing dwarven fortress, Likotsefol "Inkentered".

While wandering around the place I found some interesting things such a cheese store (from which I promptly stole a few pieces), but I was I was on the lookout for a lonely dwarf/goblin (since this was a dwarven-goblin fortress apparently) for me to horribly murder without anyone else's knowledge.
Finally, an opportunity arises. I prepare myself to strangle the poor dwarf when I suddenly realize it's Zefon Tunodor "Doorroot", the king of The Glaze of Rubbing (ie. the only dwarven civ around).

So I decide to take this further - murder the king, spread the news and claim myself as the new lord. So I proceed to wrestle the monarch, but he refuses to be strangled, so I pull out my weapons and hack his neck off, much to nobody's acknowledgement, despite his cries for help. I then carry the corpse away into a small nearby bedroom and butcher him there for the sake of it, because apparently people weren't all that impressed when I showed them his butchered remains.

Much to my surprise I wasn't met with much opposition, except for the occasional spits in my direction from people like the captain of the guard or a human (I think) diplomat. Otherwise people seem to either react with "It is terrifying." or "It was inevitable.", which may imply that he wasn't the best king around...Either way, I decided to change the name of the site to Boatmurdered (totally not related to the probably most famous succession game in DF's history), though it still remains as Inkentered in the legends mode. I then retired, and the history ends here for now.

What will happen next? I'm not sure. I will probably make another adventurer and visit the fortress again, 2 weeks forward, to see where things stand and if my previous character is still alive.
Also this reaction felt kinda ignorant when I heard it:

What I also did was give the stolen pieces of cheese (along with a stolen scimitar) to a nearby peasant and see what happens to him - if the original owner(s) of said items are now going to go after him, I think we may have some low-level framing in the game.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 02:32:41 pm by DarkDXZ »

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Re: How I became the lord of Inkentered (Boatmurdered) (0.40.01)
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 02:30:28 pm »

Right, so after doing some retiring, picking another adventurer, killing off said adventurer and unretiring Gomrek, I've noticed something weird:

I occasionally talk to myself, primarily about the murder of the king. But when I come in contact with others, my character seems to either run away on his own and also talk to others, also without my input.

Did Toady just implement insanity in this game?

Now I've run back to my initial spawn bedroom and I'm talking to myself every step...
What the actual fuck?

EDIT:

This is really weird but cool, it's like my character has a split personality disorder or something...What is this?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 02:38:15 pm by DarkDXZ »

Wumpi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How I became the lord of Inkentered (Boatmurdered) (0.40.01)
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 02:42:26 pm »

Right, so after doing some retiring, picking another adventurer, killing off said adventurer and unretiring Gomrek, I've noticed something weird:

I occasionally talk to myself, primarily about the murder of the king. But when I come in contact with others, my character seems to either run away on his own and also talk to others, also without my input.

Did Toady just implement insanity in this game?

Now I've run back to my initial spawn bedroom and I'm talking to myself every step...
What the actual fuck?

EDIT:

This is really weird but cool, it's like my character has a split personality disorder or something...What is this?

I've experienced the same problem. It happened after murdering 36 unarmed goblins in a tower. Unarmed non-hostile goblins that made no attempt to defend themselves. When my character became sentient, she kept muttering things like "It was inevitable" and "It's terrible" and the various messages about fighting and death that you can hear villagers shout.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Re: How I became the lord of Inkentered (Player insanity?)
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 02:45:05 pm »

Well, the king I murdered also was unarmed and couldn't really do much...
And now I can't leave this room (and when I retire this character he simply disappears for whatever reason when I try to visit the same place as another character).

This is so cool but it also ruins so many cool things I wanted to do. ;_;

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 03:23:38 pm »

Okay, this has taken a very odd and buggy turn.
Because I'm constantly being pushed back into my room, trying to go anywhere is nigh imposssible once you meet someone. But if I manage to go to via a corridor to the bottom right of the spawning room, which IIRC leads into another site (or a world map tile...I think?), then something weird happens...

...I don't know even know how to explain it, but the character @ will switch positions between the original position in the hallway and a wall on the far left of the screen every couple of seconds. You can't move or do any other actions anymore in this state and while it doesn't crash the game, retiring the character is the only reasonable option.

I guess I should have uploaded this to File Depot instead but I don't even know how to word this bug in a way that doesn't make me sound like I can't speak English.
Uh...Sorry for that.

(It has happened to me before after doing those actions, so it's reproducible once you enter this "insane" state):

- pick Bomrek from Likotsefol
- walk out of the bedroom
- go to bottom right
- ???

I'm still not entirely sure what caused Bomrek to become "insane" like that in the first place, but IIRC killing unarmed civilian people can lead to this. (see Wumpi's post) I'm guessing that this "insanity" itself is an intended feature (seeing as it happened under similar circumstances and is overall logical, a mental breakdown) but this isn't.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 03:29:22 pm by DarkDXZ »

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 03:30:51 pm »

Goblin Mason has been struck down.
You have gone insane!

EDIT: ...why does he vanish from time to time?
IS HE A GHOST?
IS HE BEING ATTACKED BY ARMOK?

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 04:46:09 pm »

"I am a little angry." - best reaction to killing a king EVER. I  know this new version will be hilarious...
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

KiBoy

• Bay Watcher
  • You have been struck down! It was inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 05:38:19 pm »

"I am a little angry." - best reaction to killing a king EVER. I  know this new version will be hilarious...

IT WAS INEVITABLE - Urist, Dwarf Fortress 2014
"Ha-ha-halt in the name of the Obeisant Vegetation!  Okay, Princess, you can speak to the Necromancer now."
"A-anou, Necromancer-san, could...  C-Could I have your autograph?"
If you imagine an 8-bit Hinata with elf ears, it gets even more ridiculous ^_^

Klitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 08:41:10 pm »

It indeed does make sense, killing innocents would deal a toll on our minds. However I don't understand the other thing.. Strange..
"A giant cave bat, a giant cave swallow, and a troll wander into my fort's cagetraps..."

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 09:06:58 pm »

What's your adventurer's empathy level? Considering how sissified people have become, I'm wondering if removing points from that attribute to play as an emotionally dead sociopath is the way to go this release. We've been hardening our fortress dwarves against this sort of thing for years, maybe it's time to apply it adventurers too.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 09:11:01 pm »

LET'S USE EMPATHY AS A DUMP STAT.
ANALYTICAL ABILITY, YOU'RE OUT, SINCE YOU SOUND ALMOST USEFUL.

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 11:38:44 pm »

What's your adventurer's empathy level? Considering how sissified people have become, I'm wondering if removing points from that attribute to play as an emotionally dead sociopath is the way to go this release. We've been hardening our fortress dwarves against this sort of thing for years, maybe it's time to apply it adventurers too.

Empathy won't make people less scared, it doesn't decrease your emotions. It only decreases your ability to sense the emotions of others. (IRL)
Maybe it could decrease chances of running if somebody goes "enraged", but he'll get the message after the arms go flying.
If anything, it would be hurtful, because they might run in a battle, and keep running even if the enemy starts running.
Though at this moment its not that complex of a interaction.
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 11:48:01 pm »

Try granting your lordship title to someone else?  Or do the same thing with a new character (kill your current guy) and don't unretire them.  Maybe that won't cause the glitch.

Also I believe that "Boatmurdered" is now the name of your new government, not the name of the site.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 12:34:18 am »

In the older versions, if a creature witnesses enough death, they get the 'doesn't care about anything anymore' personality trait, which makes them pretty much immune to tantrum spirals and other morale disasters. I know for a fact it applies to adventurers too, and they can gain it just from killing hostiles. I don't know if it's still in, but if it is, adventurers may shut up about all the horrors they've seen some time before or after the four hundredth kill.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Zale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2014, 04:08:53 am »

I think this is a bug that stems from attempting to play a retired adventurer. I've had that bug out a few adventurers.
Pages: [1] 2