Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Framerate issues?  (Read 1001 times)

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Framerate issues?
« on: July 08, 2014, 05:33:09 am »

DF2014 seems to have some framerate issues for me, even early in the game. The game seems to waver between 10 to 30 FPS, and this is making ordinary tasks take monumental amounts of time. I will say that I am using a pretty old computer, but I was able to get pretty decent FPS on vanilla 2013.

Any helpful advice on how to make DF run better as of this update?

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Framerate issues?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 05:54:01 am »

Few things that you should try out. Some of these you may be aware of already, but just in case I'll list them here.
  • Turn off weather and temperature. Especially temperature does make things slower
  • Have smaller embark. If you are going with 4*4, then try 3*3 instead. The difference is noticeable.
  • Avoid huge variations in heights. Especially when combined with embark size, you can make things faster if you have less tiles for processor to calculate.
  • Generate smaller world with shorter history. Now this is more a logical assumption, but since the rest of the world is actually alive, it could be possible to eliminate some of the calculations by having less things/beings to process.
  • Lower G_FPS_CAP to something like 20-25 from 50. I have noticed that this has some impact to FPS
  • Change printing mode to Standard and priority to High. Vanilla 2D mode is slower than Standard, as stated in the file already.

Everything else is more or less about how you manage your fortress, like reducing pathing options and limiting the number of items/creatures to minimum...
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Sebastian2203

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 05:56:17 am »

Eh little detail... there isnt any DF 2013.. it was never released...

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 08:28:02 am »

Few things that you should try out. Some of these you may be aware of already, but just in case I'll list them here.
  • Turn off weather and temperature. Especially temperature does make things slower
  • Have smaller embark. If you are going with 4*4, then try 3*3 instead. The difference is noticeable.
  • Avoid huge variations in heights. Especially when combined with embark size, you can make things faster if you have less tiles for processor to calculate.
  • Generate smaller world with shorter history. Now this is more a logical assumption, but since the rest of the world is actually alive, it could be possible to eliminate some of the calculations by having less things/beings to process.
  • Lower G_FPS_CAP to something like 20-25 from 50. I have noticed that this has some impact to FPS
  • Change printing mode to Standard and priority to High. Vanilla 2D mode is slower than Standard, as stated in the file already.

Everything else is more or less about how you manage your fortress, like reducing pathing options and limiting the number of items/creatures to minimum...

I did try Standard before posting, and it.. kind of helped? Not enough. Most of the issue is processing. But I had considered several of those things. I'm not sure how lowering the FPS cap helps with that (I don't know much about that aspect of it), but if I find myself still needing a little tweaking after making a smaller world and a smaller embark, I'll try it out. Thanks.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 09:07:23 am »

A question regarding turning off the temperature.

On my current adventurer, the area i'm in has some frozen river, that's annoying to get water, as licking water on yourself or on the ice does not seem to anymore to help lowering the thirst like it did in 0.34.11

If i turn off temperature, will the frozen river cease to be frozen if my character survive (or retire temporarly) up to summer , or will it then stay frozen forever ?
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 10:10:58 am »

licking water on yourself or on the ice does not seem to anymore to help lowering the thirst like it did in 0.34.11

That never did anything.