Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 44

Author Topic: First Impressions .40.01 AND BEYOND!  (Read 112734 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First Impressions .40.01 AND BEYOND!
« Reply #540 on: July 14, 2014, 08:20:13 pm »

we need entity tokens to go along with this. I want to be able to make my dwarves openly pansexual if I want, and make goblins ultra traditionalist family-lovers. Give them more reason to be at war forever.

The tag you want for the first half is ORIENTATION.  It's not in the default raws, but you can add it.

The tag needs to be added to each caste, one instance of the tag for each caste.  If the entity just has 2 castes (male and female), then you only need to add 2 lines to the MALE caste and 2 lines to the FEMALE caste.

If you want dwarves to be completely straight, do this:
Code: [Select]
--- creature_standard.txt.bak 2014-07-14 21:13:28.392137131 -0400
+++ creature_standard.txt 2014-07-14 21:16:03.734455158 -0400
@@ -317,9 +317,13 @@
  [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE]
  To add beards, put square brackets around the following:
  BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:FACIAL_HAIR_TISSUE_LAYERS
+ [ORIENTATION:MALE:0:20:80]
+ [ORIENTATION:FEMALE:100:0:0]
  [CASTE:MALE]
  [MALE]
  [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:FACIAL_HAIR_TISSUE_LAYERS]
+ [ORIENTATION:FEMALE:0:20:80]
+ [ORIENTATION:MALE:100:0:0]

This command lets you select all of the castes again.

If you want all dwarves to be bisexual, try this (though I'm a little less sure about this one):
Code: [Select]
--- creature_standard.txt.bak 2014-07-14 21:13:28.392137131 -0400
+++ creature_standard.txt 2014-07-14 21:18:49.236922999 -0400
@@ -317,9 +317,13 @@
  [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE]
  To add beards, put square brackets around the following:
  BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:FACIAL_HAIR_TISSUE_LAYERS
  [CASTE:MALE]
  [MALE]
  [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:FACIAL_HAIR_TISSUE_LAYERS]

This command lets you select all of the castes again.

I don't know whether you can mod the second half ("make the goblins family-lovers") yet.

Edit: switch the 20 and 80.  I think.  Please note that I haven't tested this yet.  I apologize if I've screwed it all up.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 07:48:49 am by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: July 14, 2014, 09:45:59 pm »

My dwarves partied too hard. I canceled their party, since I wanted my miners to do some work, but that wasn't going to happen: as soon as the room was no longer designated, they immediately sleep-conga'd to the communal dormitory, along with the broker and CMD. It was bizarre and fascinating to watch, but still frustrating, since my grand entry hall still isn't being dug.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: July 14, 2014, 10:02:13 pm »

personally, I think the "Gay dwarves are a thing now!" thing is a bit overblown.

Why is this really so important? For the most part, you wont even notice a real difference except perhaps in the number of babies cranked out. Dont get me wrong, it's perfectly acceptable and in line with toady's aims of having as close to a realistic simulation as a tokenized abstraction can possibly be, but I look at it in terms of "OMG! Dwarves have EYE COLORS NOW! WOW!" or what have you.

But hey, if it gets you excited, I guess its OK.  Just I dont understand the hubub over it.

Other than that-- Unhappy; Lost several ours of play to random crash. :(

The first thing that got me really excited about Dwarf Fortress was reading a character profile and seeing the phrase "she likes ducks for their quacks". Personally, i get really excited about the details most people might consider meaningless XD

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: July 15, 2014, 04:30:10 am »

(derail from locked thread removed)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 10:49:45 am by Toady One »
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: July 15, 2014, 05:15:31 am »

{snip}

No. Stop. We're not having this discussion again. It was enough of a flame war the first time.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: July 15, 2014, 03:23:00 pm »

{snip}
No. Stop. We're not having this discussion again. It was enough of a flame war the first time.
Dang. I made some good, non-biased, non-inflammatory points in that comment, and now they're gone. At least I can imagine that Toady read it before deleting it. Best-case scenario: My post got moved [not deleted] to the locked thread, which was cleansed of trolling, flaming, and homophobic ranting, so that nothing but insightful discussions of dwarven sexuality remained, and then it was reopened (with future posts made under close scrutiny).

But this is Toady's & Threetoe's forum, not mine, and they should run it how they want to. Sorry if I offended anyone.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 03:25:26 pm by SixOfSpades »

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: July 15, 2014, 03:58:40 pm »

The problem is not that you made a point or not, or if your arguments were good or not, the problem is that if you post here, why would ANY OTHER people wouldn't do the same ?

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First Impressions .40.01
« Reply #547 on: July 15, 2014, 05:49:46 pm »

This really is my favorite thing about the last release, apart from the crash when talking to deities because they aren't listening to you.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: July 15, 2014, 06:29:37 pm »

I really really really look forward to Toady getting back to the optimization... 40.03 is running slower than either .01 or .02 for me   :'(
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #549 on: July 15, 2014, 06:34:23 pm »

And there are only 600 of them, against tens and hundreds of thousands of humans and dwarves.

EDIT: There is also at least one Kobold necromancer running around.

It is terrifying.

and no doubt adorable!
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: July 15, 2014, 06:37:55 pm »

I really really really look forward to Toady getting back to the optimization... 40.03 is running slower than either .01 or .02 for me   :'(
I caved and went back to .34 (again). I spent about two days of enthusiastic play and realized that even though I optimized for speed and was playing in a pocket world with 2 years of history only three years had passed in game.  I've done two years in .34 since dinner.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: July 15, 2014, 06:50:08 pm »

The problem is not that you made a point or not, or if your arguments were good or not, the problem is that if you post here, why would ANY OTHER people wouldn't do the same ?
Well, true. But another problem is that a perfectly good post with some original thoughts got deleted because of what other people had said.

I learned from this. Let's hope everyone else does too.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: July 15, 2014, 09:19:35 pm »

Alright, new thing: In 0.40.03, are you noticing towers that either don’t show up in the embark list even when you are embarking next to them, or towers that show up even when you are half a world away (like 50 tiles away)?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Rosanna Foxfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: July 15, 2014, 09:32:26 pm »

Thing that keeps getting me on world gen is the evil biome oceans.  It seems fairly pointless, honestly.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: July 15, 2014, 09:40:49 pm »

Thing that keeps getting me on world gen is the evil biome oceans.  It seems fairly pointless, honestly.

This has been around for a long time. Hopefully in the near future, when Toady’s done with the bug-fixing, he can make the oceans a bit more alive and useful. Good oceans should have mermaid cities, evil oceans should be where the most vile horrors reside and assault the world.

I believe you can fix the problem in custom worldgen by reducing the number of good and evil tiles in large biomes, while increasing the number in small and medium biomes.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 44