Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 44

Author Topic: First Impressions .40.01 AND BEYOND!  (Read 112765 times)

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
Re: First Impressions .40.02
« Reply #420 on: July 12, 2014, 06:01:46 am »

I have positive news... I just embarked to a new fort, and brought a couple dogs with me. Spawned just beside a couple of turkey men. First thing that happens? My dogs kill the *shit* out of those turkey men. Holy crap, are dogs actually going to be useful? And not just canon-fodder/easy food sources?

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: July 12, 2014, 07:02:11 am »

I have positive news... I just embarked to a new fort, and brought a couple dogs with me. Spawned just beside a couple of turkey men. First thing that happens? My dogs kill the *shit* out of those turkey men. Holy crap, are dogs actually going to be useful? And not just canon-fodder/easy food sources?
Spawned just beside a couple of turkey men.
By Armok, there are animal men of domestic creatures now?
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: July 12, 2014, 07:10:11 am »

False alarm, i misread the situation. They were turkey *hens*. I guess that's about the level it should be at.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #423 on: July 12, 2014, 10:10:12 am »

I gotta get back to playing (been too busy with real life; seeking adequate placeholder. Nice to see an update.). All these first impressions are making me giddy to try my luck.

I'm gonna need to take my time coming up with projects (other than things that fly) once I got everything down.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: July 12, 2014, 10:27:13 am »

Seems like either brewing produces less booze per cycle or dwarves drink more... having trouble getting a surplus going with one still running full time for 50 dwarves, which was NEVER an issue in .34 unless the still was out of something.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Lohakar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: July 12, 2014, 10:35:33 am »

I installed 40.02 yesterday and since that time I cannot continue with any saved game.
After "continue playing" and selecting any saved game I got a crash "3004 Segmentation fault" after few minutes.
Linux version.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 10:37:12 am by Lohakar »

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: July 12, 2014, 10:38:12 am »

40.02 is not save compatible with 40.01...now if you are talking about new saves? not sure

Lohakar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: July 12, 2014, 10:49:16 am »

All my saves are from 40.02.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 12, 2014, 10:55:34 am »

Seems like either brewing produces less booze per cycle or dwarves drink more... having trouble getting a surplus going with one still running full time for 50 dwarves, which was NEVER an issue in .34 unless the still was out of something.
It may be unskilled farmers producing smaller stacks or unskilled brewers working too slow.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: July 12, 2014, 11:13:25 am »

I've noticed I have far fewer plants. For some reason, seeds are also harder to come by, resulting in less stuff getting planted. If I remember correctly, 0.34 gave you several seeds when a stack of plants were brewed, but now I only get one seed.

I also think that invasions and morale need to be severely reworked. It's not fun when my ten dwarves get rolled over by a siege consisting of necromancer's servants(only two were zombies, however) that numbered more than that, all before the end of the first midsummer. By that point I barely have farms starting production, defenses at that point aren't even on my mind. Weapons aren't even possible that fast. And for morale, the miners I conscript just sit there an piss themselves when one of the enemy recruits(who also piss themselves) comes near, and everyone else I draft will run away for a while, come back, then run away even further. I even added [NOFEAR] to the dwarf raws(which also affected the invaders, all but one were dwarves, dead or alive). They didn't run from battle, but they still go to pieces seeing a dead body, even an enemy body(might be justified because it's a dead dwarf). And while they're cowering at a dead foe, they utterly refuse to defend themselves from his three buddies.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: July 12, 2014, 11:19:09 am »

adding a few innate levels of discipline skill is the best way to solve it now....but to be fair...it's not too far from real life...I mean...when shit gets real the average person simply flees...

For example I know that the Marine Corps trains its recruits for 3 months, then a few more months depending on your MOS (job). So after a good 5 months of combat training (along side regular MOS training) there is a large number of men that will still nearly piss themselves in the first combat they see...granted we are talking guns and explosions and things like that...but getting into melee combat is very personal, dangerous, and messy business...untrained people would much rather flee...and ti is likely much safer for them.

I do think that they could use a few checks along the lines of "if we flee will the fort fall?" but thats pretty complex to implement.

Overall it is a tad touchy and people start out a little scared of too much...ultimately though it is not far from reality.

As for the super early mini seiges...well...thats just the new moving world at work and bandits or necromancer stumbling upon you. I think bringing along at least one real military dwarf on embark will be a real thing now.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 11:22:03 am by dennislp3 »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: July 12, 2014, 11:30:11 am »

I've noticed I have far fewer plants. For some reason, seeds are also harder to come by, resulting in less stuff getting planted. If I remember correctly, 0.34 gave you several seeds when a stack of plants were brewed, but now I only get one seed.

I also think that invasions and morale need to be severely reworked. It's not fun when my ten dwarves get rolled over by a siege consisting of necromancer's servants(only two were zombies, however) that numbered more than that, all before the end of the first midsummer. By that point I barely have farms starting production, defenses at that point aren't even on my mind. Weapons aren't even possible that fast. And for morale, the miners I conscript just sit there an piss themselves when one of the enemy recruits(who also piss themselves) comes near, and everyone else I draft will run away for a while, come back, then run away even further. I even added [NOFEAR] to the dwarf raws(which also affected the invaders, all but one were dwarves, dead or alive). They didn't run from battle, but they still go to pieces seeing a dead body, even an enemy body(might be justified because it's a dead dwarf). And while they're cowering at a dead foe, they utterly refuse to defend themselves from his three buddies.

I'm torn because objectively it's closer to reality. Imagine if your job was cheese maker and all you've ever done is make cheese and you've come to a new place to make cheese and start a family then just as your about to ask about any cheese that needs making someone hands you an axe and says
"Go kill those dudes who are incapable of feeling pain or fear and their perverted master who has bent the forces of death to his very whim."

Having never held an axe much less killed someone that's probably sort of scary.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: July 12, 2014, 11:33:14 am »

And it helps looking at the dwarfs personality. Dwarves that don't value martial prowess and run away from physical confrontations make way worse soldiers than those that stubbornly refuse to flee and are not emotionally touched by a lot of things.
I had two soldiers in my starting seven, I chose them based on their personality not their physical stats, and they killed a few invaders during the first year.
Granted, I took the basics to make bismuth bronze with me and they were fully armored and armed, but the goblins ran away, not my dorfs.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: July 12, 2014, 11:42:32 am »

I think bringing along at least one real military dwarf on embark will be a real thing now.
This is your solution I believe, yes.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: July 12, 2014, 11:44:06 am »

Much like bringing helmets for woodcutters? (Implying that now we will have to have a woodcutter squad in the military set to do civilian tasks)
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 44