Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 44

Author Topic: First Impressions .40.01 AND BEYOND!  (Read 110546 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First Impressions .40.02
« Reply #375 on: July 10, 2014, 08:07:35 pm »

Especially since no less than 4 of my O7 decided to climb the SAME FREAKING TREE, and then fall out in the SAME FREAKING SPOT into the river 12 z-levels below.

Designating a meeting zone (or having a sculpture garden, or still having your wagon intact -- these implicitly create a meeting zone) seems to prevent dwarves from wandering atree while idle.

I'm not sure what happens if there's a tree in your meeting zone.  I carefully removed all the trees in the vicinity first, just to be safe.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: July 10, 2014, 08:17:47 pm »

My fort has been invaded by poor quality flowers.

It is terrifying.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: July 10, 2014, 08:38:43 pm »

It was inevitable.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: July 10, 2014, 08:49:03 pm »

Holding back in DFVD for now. The stories are enough to keep me entertained :)

Has anybody added/confirm that [NOFEAR] tag on dwarves to see if they stop panicing at everything?
It looks like the starting 7 are hit hardest by the "discpline" feature, because they only get 10 embark points...

If NOFEAR still works, I may use it after upgrading, because I'd prefer the starting 7 to be "adventurers" and "entrepreneners" and not lucky cowards.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: July 10, 2014, 08:52:52 pm »

Now it isnt the dwarfs getting wiped out, it is everyone else that is now.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: July 10, 2014, 09:36:01 pm »

Good to hear. I might make a reaction to give the dwarf [NOFEAR] as a stopgap measure until Toady balances the Discipline/Embarking a little more. Also, I won't need to mod animal-child sizes anymore either :) Looking forward to DF Inevitable

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: July 10, 2014, 10:05:28 pm »

It might help to add [NATURAL_SKILL:DISCIPLINE:3] or similar to civilised races.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: July 10, 2014, 10:11:42 pm »

quick question: what does the discipline skill do?

Scootagoose

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill them before I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: July 10, 2014, 10:14:38 pm »

Anyone else start out with a monarch? Is that a new feature or bug?
Unf.

TheSaberTooth

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:BITE:16]
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: July 10, 2014, 10:19:11 pm »

It might help to add [NATURAL_SKILL:DISCIPLINE:3] or similar to civilised races.
Or to all races, because everything that isn't a hunk of rock will run if they see death.
When all is lost, remember the bees.
What the fuck. Is some random undorfed recruit now our new Darkwing? Hell, even Darkwing just managed to kill two clowns before he went down. It's beyond me that a frigging recruit in the Official Voidspawn Feeding Detachment managed a triple kill on Forgotten Armokhumping Beasts.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: July 10, 2014, 10:25:15 pm »

Thanks for the NATURAL_SKILL suggestion. I guess that's better than using NOFEAR

quick question: what does the discipline skill do?
There are reports of military / invasions not working because "The Goblin sees the Dwarf. The Goblin collapses into a ball of fear" and "The Dwarf sees the mouse remains. The Dwarf cancels attacking, emotional trauma". You now require the discipline skill to successfully attack most things.

Anyone else start out with a monarch? Is that a new feature or bug?
Elsewhere it was mentioned, it might be succession/inheritance, or it might be a bug. How many dwarves are left in your civ? Are your starting seven the last-seven dwarves alive? This may be causing you to get a king / monarch / etc at embark.

EDIT: Ninja'd by SaberTooth

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: July 10, 2014, 10:42:02 pm »

I'm starting to change my worldgen habits so there's at least one dwarven civ alive for embark.  This proves challenging when the civ keeps dying off!  >:(

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First Impressions .40.01
« Reply #387 on: July 10, 2014, 11:13:19 pm »

Can we mod tears to cause blindness and pain? I want to punish the dwarves who keep walking to the stockpile to cry about the kobold we killed.

You could, and you would then be the first person to lose a fort to a crying spiral.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 02:11:26 pm by Melting Sky »

PotatoOverdose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: July 10, 2014, 11:56:46 pm »

I rather like the trees and plethora of wood. For the first year or two most of my goods/constructions are made of wood. Far more realistic imo given how much easier it is to make most things out of wood as opposed to stone. Also, non-magma based smithing is so much easier now.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: July 11, 2014, 01:03:58 am »

Given how discipline works, perhaps we should attempt Dwarven child care (yet again) to try and get utterly fearless dorfs who aren't going to run away from absolutely everything that isn't part of the fort's population.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 44