Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 44

Author Topic: First Impressions .40.01 AND BEYOND!  (Read 110535 times)

AMTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First Impressions .40.02
« Reply #390 on: July 11, 2014, 01:08:28 am »

I'm starting to change my worldgen habits so there's at least one dwarven civ alive for embark.  This proves challenging when the civ keeps dying off!  >:(

What have you changed?

I always used to have acouple thousand MBs and twice as many SMBs and the max of all nightstrolls, vampire, werebeast and secret types.
 If you do that on the new version no civ survives day 3.

It seems just max nightrolls on its own is enough to kill everyone off now.

Burmalay

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for my English
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: July 11, 2014, 04:10:09 am »

I have a friends, lol.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: July 11, 2014, 11:32:40 am »

So, tested arena mode.

There's some minor crashing but nothing too annoying or egregious.

It is weird that if you put magma at the base of a tree then the z-level 0 trunk will burn and not the top parts of the trees, but when you dump magma on the second z-level of a tree all the tree flares up... except the z-level 0 trunk.

Also the lethality part and the morale system are nice.

Speaking creatures now cry and call for help when they are being chased. They even get coverings of tears !

This is awesome, mostly because you can now offer wood covered with elf tears to the elves. Or alternatively, crossbow bolts.

Fort mode didn't tested... made a small 100 year world, no crashes so far in worldgen.

I wonder why are gods of war or fortresses cooperating with demons now ? I understand that they're Khorne-like Armok-like and war and conflict are their reason to exist, but what's the point of these legendary stone slabs ?

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: July 11, 2014, 11:38:02 am »

Game crashed at first migrant wave with migrants from a retired fort. Has anyone else had this happen to them?
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: July 11, 2014, 11:41:57 am »

Bronze colossuses are now significantly more fun... more punching things and exploding in gore and propelling targets towards walls.

a.k.a. liking this release so far.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: July 11, 2014, 12:00:19 pm »

Has anyone breached HFS to see what happens to the surrounding world when !FUN! is unleashed?

e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: July 11, 2014, 01:59:17 pm »

I have a friends, lol.
Spoiler: Spoilerific (click to show/hide)

Well, damn. That's pretty cool. I love how things aren't so black and white anymore.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: July 11, 2014, 02:43:57 pm »

Anyone has noticed flying critters simply staying stuck in the same place high up in the sky for indefinite amounts of time? I have a cluster of sparrow people "stuck" mid air for 2 seasons now. They don't move at all.

Edit:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 02:50:57 pm by peskyninja »
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: July 11, 2014, 02:59:32 pm »

Anyone has noticed flying critters simply staying stuck in the same place high up in the sky for indefinite amounts of time? I have a cluster of sparrow people "stuck" mid air for 2 seasons now. They don't move at all.

Edit:

Yes
It's driving me insane, I've had to remove [flier] from all the birds that enter my map or they just sit there and lockout all other wildlife.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: July 11, 2014, 03:07:56 pm »

Can you do that in the savegame raws and they will simply drop from the sky?

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: July 11, 2014, 03:10:51 pm »

I wonder why are gods of war or fortresses cooperating with demons now ? I understand that they're Khorne-like Armok-like and war and conflict are their reason to exist, but what's the point of these legendary stone slabs ?

Check legends mode. It has some interesting, if vague, descriptions of all these events.

Spoiler: new HFS spoilers (click to show/hide)

Personally, I'm planning an adventure to check out the site myself, and probably swing by the kobold cave to see what they looted from it.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: July 11, 2014, 03:15:49 pm »

More HFS spoiler stuff about vaults

Also looks like the ironhand graphics for 40.02 makes your miners look like kids.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 03:22:27 pm by Aristion »
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Volfgarix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: July 11, 2014, 05:35:26 pm »

I played a bit and I must say this is very interesting update. Trees gives a lot of wood (maybe too much) and seasonal tree changes are very pretty. Adventure mode is fun now.

Ok, now it's time for complaints. I don't know how Toady didn't find crashes before releasing 40.01. I don't know how he hasn't noticed FPS decrease, dwarves climbing on trees and failing down nor dwarves stopping their work over and over again because they see a corspe. I don't know how he hasn't managed to fix bugs (except the growth one). I know he have a lot of work, but bugs won't die of old age.

Tip for new players:
If you want to have a good soldier at embark, take brave one, other dwarves will run away like idiots despite having military skills (and giving points into Discipline is wasting points). Brave dwarf who even isn't in military can attack enemy, usually it's miner or woodcutter because they already have weapons in hands.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: July 11, 2014, 06:33:50 pm »

IIRC he even said FPS will be worse because the calendar is not yet optimized.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #404 on: July 11, 2014, 06:47:56 pm »

I constantly have dwarves falling out of trees.  I had a mother and son do this in less than five real time minutes upon migrating to my fort.  Trees are going to be awesome Fun/annoying, I can see.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 44