Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 247

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 327694 times)

ThatZommy

• Bay Watcher
  • Am royalty
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #3240 on: September 09, 2015, 11:39:37 pm »

Continuing to waste people's time here, my creature is causing my game to crash and I'm not sure why. Before I delete it and start over, I was wondering if it was something simple that I could change in a pinch. Sorry for posting as often as I do, I'm a bit stupid.

These are the raws-
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Er, atleast I think that's right.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: September 10, 2015, 12:41:10 am »

Continuing to waste people's time here, my creature is causing my game to crash and I'm not sure why. Before I delete it and start over, I was wondering if it was something simple that I could change in a pinch. Sorry for posting as often as I do, I'm a bit stupid.

These are the raws-

Sorry, too tired to be helpful, but knowing what that dinosaur is, the idea that Argentinasaurus is so big that it crashes the game is hilarious.  Have you heard of Dreadnoughtus? 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

ThatZommy

• Bay Watcher
  • Am royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: September 10, 2015, 12:59:11 am »

These are the raws-

Sorry, too tired to be helpful, but knowing what that dinosaur is, the idea that Argentinasaurus is so big that it crashes the game is hilarious.  Have you heard of Dreadnoughtus?
I have now. Quite large, though It doesn't seem to be bigger then an Argentinosaurus, from what I just read.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: September 10, 2015, 07:39:40 am »

These are the raws-

I have now. Quite large, though It doesn't seem to be bigger then an Argentinosaurus, from what I just read.

No, I think the Dreadnaughtus' claim to fame is its cooler name and it is the most complete skeleton of any titanosaur yet known.  So Argentinosaurus' size is guessed by comparing the size of its vertebra and femur to those of smaller sauropods while Dreadnautus' size and shape is much more accurate.  I think as more titanosaurs have been discovered, they have been re-estimating the size of many of them to be smaller than they originally thought.  This might also be useful to your project, some scientists strongly suspect that patagonian therapods like Giganotosaurus, Mapusaurus, Tyrannotitan and Megaraptor hunted in packs to take down titanosaurs, and there is strong evidence that the north american Albertasaurus hunted in packs or at least lived in large family units. 

Having a closer look at your raws now, I don't see anything obvious.  It's possible that there is a maximum creature size, some variables can only get so big, so you could try the same raws with a lower size and see if it still crashes.  Check your errorlog.txt too just in case.  Also, I assume you're not actually done with this guy yet since there's hair on it, but I would give them a tail attack and relsize the tail.  Also I read that based on related animals, Argentinosaurus eggs would probably be only about 22cm across so their baby size would be more like a puppy's and it took 15 years to reach adult size.  Also I think the current estimate for Argentinosaurus' speed is 5mph which would be 8kph in game speed. 
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 07:53:58 am by AceSV »
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: September 10, 2015, 10:46:07 am »

I want to make Gabbro men, Blizzard men, Molemarians etc into their own non-playable goblin-like entities.  Do I need to add [INTELLIGENT] to each creature or will they work out of the box?
If you want them to actually do anything other than terrorize their neighbours, yes.

If you just want them to mindlessly go to war with everyone, then no. In fact, not being able to speak helps matters, as they would not be able to negotiate peace, leaving everyone else hostile with them by default.

Okay, it seems to work so far.  I started out with Gabbro Men, Amethyst Men, Blizzard Men, Fire Men, Ogres, Manera, Molemarian, Plump Helmet Man, Satyrs, Sasquatch and Gremlin civs enabled.  In the first worldgen, it looked like most of them got destroyed early on by megabeasts.  Only Ogres and normal civs showed up as neighbors on the embark screen.  A short fortress mode was visited by ogre and yeti zombies.  Since yetis shouldn't have been one of the available civs, I wonder if they became someone's minions.  In the second world, I turned down megabeasts to the lowest, and it was the same story, only Ogres survived.  This time I tried it out in adventure mode and found an empty Dark Pits that once belonged to Fire Men.  Legends mode suggests that at least one Fire Man civ was destroyed by ogres.  The first two worldgens both struggled when placing civs so this time I removed gremlins from the list, assuming that if anyone was going to cause trouble it would be gremlins, and behold, no problem placing civs and the third world shows Gabbromen, Blizzardmen, Molemarians, Sasquatches, Satyrs and Firemen.  No Ogre civs show up in the history, it's possible that ogre civs just cancel out all other Dark Fort civs if they exist. 

I'm curious, are there any obvious red flags that make a Gremlin civ impossible?  Would a kobold-clone gremlin civ work better than a goblin-clone gremlin civ?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: September 10, 2015, 11:10:53 am »

I'm curious, are there any obvious red flags that make a Gremlin civ impossible?
Gremlins causing problems.  Who'd've thought? :)

Are all of those civs supposed to be Dark Pit dwellers?  If it was just spreading Dark Pits too thinly, it might not have mattered which one was removed.  A larger world would then be able to accommodate them all.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

ThatZommy

• Bay Watcher
  • Am royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: September 10, 2015, 03:54:02 pm »

These are the raws-

No, I think the Dreadnaughtus' claim to fame is its cooler name and it is the most complete skeleton of any titanosaur yet known.  So Argentinosaurus' size is guessed by comparing the size of its vertebra and femur to those of smaller sauropods while Dreadnautus' size and shape is much more accurate.  I think as more titanosaurs have been discovered, they have been re-estimating the size of many of them to be smaller than they originally thought.  This might also be useful to your project, some scientists strongly suspect that patagonian therapods like Giganotosaurus, Mapusaurus, Tyrannotitan and Megaraptor hunted in packs to take down titanosaurs, and there is strong evidence that the north american Albertasaurus hunted in packs or at least lived in large family units. 

Having a closer look at your raws now, I don't see anything obvious.  It's possible that there is a maximum creature size, some variables can only get so big, so you could try the same raws with a lower size and see if it still crashes.  Check your errorlog.txt too just in case.  Also, I assume you're not actually done with this guy yet since there's hair on it, but I would give them a tail attack and relsize the tail.  Also I read that based on related animals, Argentinosaurus eggs would probably be only about 22cm across so their baby size would be more like a puppy's and it took 15 years to reach adult size.  Also I think the current estimate for Argentinosaurus' speed is 5mph which would be 8kph in game speed.

The giant Sperm Whale is larger than my Argentinosaurus. Anyways, I lowered the size to 7000 and it still crashed.
Also, just now realized that there's an Error log, thanks. It seems to be a tissue issue.

Ah, it didn't have [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS] or [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_TISSUES]. That's unusual- Ah, I must have deleted them when trying to get rid of the Giraffe's horns. Thank you for the help, now I can finish it off and move on to the next Dinosaur.

qorthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: September 10, 2015, 09:02:29 pm »

This is a general DF / Modding / Visual Studio / HowDoIWindows question:

I'm experimenting with using Visual Studio Express 2013 as my text editor for raws.  It's an empty project with just the raw text files loaded that outputs to the DF game raws directory on build.  I like how it works so far 8)

The problem comes while trying to create a post-build event to launch the DF.exe.

This is my command:
"C:\Users\Bit\Desktop\QorDF\Game\Dwarf Fortress.exe"

It start dwarf fortress, asks if I want to start in full-screen (which doesn't happen on a normal start as I've changed it in the init file) then crashes.  Any ideas?

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: September 11, 2015, 08:13:04 am »

I'm curious, are there any obvious red flags that make a Gremlin civ impossible?
Gremlins causing problems.  Who'd've thought? :)

Are all of those civs supposed to be Dark Pit dwellers?  If it was just spreading Dark Pits too thinly, it might not have mattered which one was removed.  A larger world would then be able to accommodate them all.

Actually the small worlds were able to handle it, medium and large worlds crashed civilization placement. 

After 4 worlds now, I haven't seen a Manera civ start up.  I thought they had all the right features, but maybe not.  Also, I tried to embark in an area with 5 badguy civ neighbors and the game crashed twice by the second season.  I remember that trying to provoke non-goblin sieges in the past was also accompanied by a lot of crashing.  That's why I made the new badguys Dark Pit civs, but maybe that wasn't the problem. 

EDIT:  There's also a lot of trees where I embarked to, that might be the real reason it crashed.  Not so many crashes now that we're tunneling. 
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 04:37:39 pm by AceSV »

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: September 11, 2015, 04:58:36 pm »

If you give a giant [NATURAL_SKILL:MELEE_COMBAT:3] is this just the minimum skill (which world gen could make much higher) or the set, unchanging skill level?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: September 11, 2015, 05:51:21 pm »

The natural skill tag sets the minimum skill that all members of the modified creature will start with. For example, a number of animals are legendary climbers by default, such as cats.

Even if the creature never gets to exercise their natural skill, it will not decay below this number, though they may increase it above this number.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: September 11, 2015, 06:00:47 pm »

Thanks BlackFlyme. I was always a bit confused about that.

Catharsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: September 11, 2015, 07:02:14 pm »

Is there any easy way to mod out mandates? Tired of having my nobles request the same item over and over and over, literally 5 seconds after I fufill a mandate. It is such a headache that I can hardly get anything new done because I'm constantly pausing and filling mandates.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: September 11, 2015, 07:03:53 pm »

Go into the civilization's entity file, and remove the position's mandate token, [MANDATE_MAX:#]

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: September 11, 2015, 08:16:15 pm »

Go into the civilization's entity file, and remove the position's mandate token, [MANDATE_MAX:#]
However, it won't take effect until after you gen a new world. Entities cannot be changed post-gen.
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 247