Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 247

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 327146 times)

satan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #2535 on: May 05, 2015, 02:06:46 pm »

Is there an updated version of Shaostoul's cheating mod? It was made several years ago and I am pretty sure many items were added since then.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Shaostoul%27s_Guide
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: May 05, 2015, 02:28:58 pm »

Incidentally, is bodygloss only pre-defined stuff?

Could you bodygloss scales to skin if you were say, too lazy to go and add another template with the better materials just for a subspecies of dorf that results from a deliberate syndrome? I figured out how to do part of it in my efforts to bring the colossi in line with the tougher material using megabeasts I already have, but right now I'm just using the [REPLACE_MATERIAL:SCALE] method to put skin in, I'd be happy if I could just have the scales called skin on this particular creature.

I tried [BODYGLOSS:SCALE:SKIN] which seemed to make sense but didn't work, oh, a less creature specific question!

You have to actually define the body gloss in the body files.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: May 05, 2015, 03:55:48 pm »

For someone who hasn't been around in a while, and just wants a crash course to hop back in, is there anything I need to update about any given mods I might have made for myself from back in 0.34.x to 0.40.24? 

For an expanded question, what changes are there in modding since then (new limitations/opportunities)?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: May 05, 2015, 04:44:43 pm »

Most comprehensive I've seen would be Tomi's notes, which I've quoted below.

Here's the 2014-September version of my "to-.40" notes. I haven't seen a bigger guide around. Man, 650 creatures' speed and swim speed... Took a bit of researching (not the swim speed.)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And for modders who are deciding their new creature's speed, my gathered animal speed data: some are burst speed, some sustained speed.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A quick crash course in changes would be the movement overhaul, which now relies on gaits rather than a set speed. So now walking, running, or slowly creeping are now movement options.
Adding on to that is the combat changes. Weapons and natural attacks now have an [ATTACK_SPEED_AND_RECOVER:#:#] token, and you can attack in various styles, or even make multiple attacks at once, though some attacks are flagged as being bad for it.
Plants got a massive overhaul. They can now grow growths such as leaves or fruit, and trees take up multiple Z levels.
LIKES_FIGHTING has been removed, and many personality traits, and even entity based values have been added. There are even dreams and goals that dwarves and other creatures can have.
Some reactions have been un-hardcoded, and the farmer's workshop is now a valid location for reactions to take place.
There is now gelding, as a profession. It can be done to sterilize some male animals.

There is likely more I forgot.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: May 05, 2015, 04:49:01 pm »

Thanks, that's what I needed!

Gaits will likely really help with some of my creature mods, since I had a nagas mod where I wanted them to have burst speeds (coiled leaps) but slow general speeds...
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 04:53:07 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: May 05, 2015, 06:05:04 pm »

You have to actually define the body gloss in the body files.
Suddenly there was a sound of thunder, as somewhere off in the distance a face was palmed with unbelievable force.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: May 05, 2015, 08:02:33 pm »

One more question... I'm trying to play around, but now there's some new "Value" tokens, and nothing on the wiki I can find that explains what they do...

EDIT: These are in the entity tokens... I was thinking of throwing some onto these apparently poor, neglected subterranean critters...
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: May 05, 2015, 08:10:41 pm »

Every entity lists all of them and they're fairly self-explanatory. They affect units' dreams and what emotions they feel in certain situations. A race that considers power over others a high value will have individuals who want to take over the world more than a race that considers power over others foolish.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #2543 on: May 06, 2015, 12:13:12 am »

Gaits will likely really help with some of my creature mods, since I had a nagas mod where I wanted them to have burst speeds (coiled leaps) but slow general speeds...
Every creature will have a set of speeds; I can't think of a way to implement the leaps you want.
They already have to be moving 'Fast' in order to get to the fastest and 2nd fastest gaits. Then their stamina will run out if they use their fastest speed for like 30 moves. Can't have a "sudden speed burst for 1 turn" AFAIK.

Nagas be "slither faster, slither faster, slither even faster, Boing Boing Boing Boing Boing Boing Boing Boing Boing Boing Boing Boing" 30 coiled leaps ehehehe.
Maybe have the speeds like.... *reads GAIT tag*
Eh, GAIT tag's parameters are hard to grasp since fullspeed:builduptime:maxturningspeed:startspeed:energyuse:unknownor2ndenergyparam  they are in 3 different units
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_BIPED_GAITS:900:675:450:225:1900:2900]
Try putting huge energy usage on the Naga's fastest speed. Long buildup. Start speed at their most-of-the-time speed.

Gaits on the wiki: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Gait and http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Creature_token#G
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 12:24:34 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: May 06, 2015, 02:34:20 am »

A flee usage hint interaction that gives a syndrome with CE_SPEED_CHANGE for a few ticks?

"The naga coils up like a spring." *zoom*
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 02:36:20 am by Max™ »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: May 06, 2015, 04:16:42 pm »

No, it's fine for what I need to just have a slower "normal" speed, and a high "sprint" speed that is unsustainable and burns stamina.  It's not so much a lunge as burning all their stamina very quickly, and having slower-than-normal recovery rates. Snakes are like that in real life, as well.  It's not just the coil and strike, but a sudden flurry of activity that requires a longer period of time to recover from.

If anything, the "faster" could be actually slow, representing a coiling, and the "fastest" then is massively faster, but with a natural lower amount of stamina so that it lasts less than normal.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: May 06, 2015, 04:24:53 pm »

Yeah, I think you ought to be able to do that by having a low build-up time, very slow start and very fast end.

[GAIT:WALK:coil spring:100:2:1:5000:100:LAYERS_SLOW:STRENGTH]

Like that. I'm pretty sure "build up time" refers to steps taken. That should use twice as much stamina as sprinting.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #2547 on: May 06, 2015, 05:59:56 pm »

How do I make a reaction have brown recluse spider silk as an output?  I'm sick of everybody ignoring the perfectly cave and giant cave spider silk, insisting (invisibly) that they get a type of silk which they've never seen, nobody's ever seen, and then dying of dehydration/going berserk and getting an axe in their brains.

That is, what do I write?  I know how to mod (like, what part to edit).  I just don't know what to write for [PRODUCT:blah].
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: May 06, 2015, 06:14:22 pm »

[PRODUCT:100:1:THREAD:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:SPIDER_BROWN_RECLUSE:SILK][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:15000]

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #2549 on: May 06, 2015, 06:28:58 pm »

Wow, that was fast.  Thanks, Putnam!  For that matter, how about logs, rough gems, raw glass, or...  I think for silk it's [PRODUCT:100:1:THREAD:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:SPIDER_CAVE_GIANT:SILK][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:15000].  Sorry if you feel like I'm "Wow!  You can know that?  Could you do this and this and this and this and this and this..."  If there's a good list of these, a link would be awesome, because I've looked and I haven't found any.

By the way, do you use [...1:CLOTH:NONE...] for making cloth?

I'm going to adjust the percentage chances and make it a "Pray to X" reaction, because I'm currently inside a volcano, with no source of gems, crystal glass, or (not sure) logs.  Maybe have it use the Druid skill as a placeholder and make each thing have a 1% chance?  Or just no skill?  Hmm...
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 247