Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Scar removal  (Read 2109 times)

Melzer

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_POST][CURIOUSBEAST_POSTER][FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Scar removal
« on: July 07, 2014, 02:10:30 am »

I've got a few dark scars on one of my legs. And I was wondering what would be the best way of getting rid of the or at least camouflaging then so they don't stand out so much. I've already tried a few things (mainly olive oil) but I'm wondering if there are any faster or better ways of going about this.
Thanks.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Scar removal
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 05:37:25 am »

I remember seeing lots of ads about this.

I think it's called bio oil? No idea if that's a brand or just a product. Also no idea if it's any good :P

I'm just a dutiful consumer who remembers his advertisement lessons.

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 05:52:28 am »

Scars are there pretty much for the rest of your life. But if you take care during the forming of scar, they look better - most important is using some greasy ointment. Pork lard works best, but vaseline is also a good alternative. If your scars are already old, there's not much you can do with them. There are some cosmetic procedures involving lasers, if you are willing to pay the money but otherwise it's just wait and eventually most scars will fade somewhat.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 01:15:33 am »

Cut up the rest of your body. They won't look out of place, that way. Don't do it all at once, however.

Granite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 01:13:36 am »

Cut up the rest of your body. They won't look out of place, that way. Don't do it all at once, however.

That would be cool, so Nameless One!

Well, I'm with the same problem, these three big black ugly scars on my legs I got from different accidents. Two of them, however, are almost gone, the ones I applied rosa mosqueta oil to. It also takes a good amount of applications to the skin, and I can't compare how efficient it is in relation to olive oil, but for me, who am a patient person, it is good. The thing may dry your skin and if you expose the region of the application to the sun for a long time, it may get burnt. Just protect it from the sun and your good. That oil was recommended to me by a knowledgeable person.

If you want more information:
http://www.organiconline.com.sg/rosehip_oil.htm
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 01:30:46 am by Granite »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 03:12:41 am »

Design a tattoo around them.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 07:33:19 pm »

Why would you want to get rid of them? Scars are cool.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 10:05:15 pm »

Chicks dig scars, not disfigurements.

Really it depends what kind and the size of scar you have, a large raised scar is different to small fine scars, as is say burn to a cut.

Massageing the scar gently helps with small scars, you'll note that people tend not to scar over joints i.e. knees or webbing.
I'll add a little tale of my own here,
Two years ago, i cut my self with an angle grinder, on the hand, lucky for me the cut was not all that deep, but it was a good 7 CM long and 1 CM wide.
now as the cut was on the webbing of my thumb it's healed up and the scar has faded away mostly due to all the movement my thumb gets.
NOW If you ever have to use an angle grinder where some good gloves.

As for getting rid of scars it mostly a case of not bothering, sure one can have lasers, surgery, steroids and so on but really they work best on nasty scars.

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

kinglog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • mpmarimba
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 11:44:18 pm »

Vitamen E capsules, pierced and the gel rubbed all over the scar, are standard for removing recent scars and blemishes. It works to a large degree. I'm not sure if it works with older scars but worth trying - it takes weeks of daily treatment for any substantial change.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 03:19:46 am »

+1

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 09:09:40 am »

Try hyenas.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 01:48:28 pm »

I have a fairly unique scar on the side of my torso which I used to think was hideous, but I've grown fond of it, even using it as my artists' signature. I'm not aware of any way to 'remove' scars, because it's just the way the tissue has grown to seal a wound; skin is skin, you can no more remove it than you can remove any other part of your body.

The best advice I see posted so far, if you really can't stand the sight of it, is to get a tattoo. Be sure it won't interfere with social or work relationships, though.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 01:53:33 pm »

IIRC, my wife used cocoa butter to some success in dealing with pregnancy stretch marks. I have no idea if they would work with other forms of scarring.
This is a blank sig.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 03:15:26 am »

Scar reduction treatments fall into two categories: recent injuries and old scars. Since it sounds like this is an old scar, we'll discuss the treatments for those.

Vitamin E oil is commonly recommended for scars and stretch marks, but there's little evidence for the effectiveness.[1] Despite this it is routinely used for prevention of "stretch marks" during pregnancy.

Silicone scar reduction treatments are the medically accepted method of scar reduction.[2] Either in a sheet dressing or a tube of gel, when applied to a scar the appearance improves slowly, sometimes taking up to 6 months of daily treatment. Nevertheless, this is about the only proven method of getting rid of scars.

Most good pharmacies will be able to help you find a product that will suit your needs, but remember that these silicone scar treatments can be quite expensive. Check whether the cost of getting rid of the scar is worth the benefits to you, because you'll be committing to a long treatment course.

Finally, if you notice your scar starts to change colour or size, please get it checked by a doctor. Skin cancer is easily treated if you catch it early, but can be horrible to get rid of when left too late.

Izu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2014, 04:39:42 pm »

Live with it, scars are cool.
Pages: [1] 2