Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 328 329 [330] 331 332 ... 879

Author Topic: Things that made you laugh today: some people notice when 1 change the title  (Read 1565873 times)

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you laugh today: 5000 laffs and counting
« Reply #4935 on: February 10, 2016, 06:53:51 am »

The first part of the speech was hilarious, the rest of it was more somber.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4936 on: February 10, 2016, 05:58:43 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4937 on: February 10, 2016, 08:04:58 pm »

oh jesus fuck what

...WHAT?
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4938 on: February 10, 2016, 08:07:52 pm »

Bosch.

Bosch is weird.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4939 on: February 10, 2016, 08:27:52 pm »

Heard this from behind me somewhere on the bus today on the way back from class.

Why do white people say things like "Oh I'm not white, I'm Italian."? You're still white! The Grinch can call himself Norwegian but he's still f*ckin' green! And you'll never hear a n*gga say some sh*t like "Oh I'm not black, I'm from Uganda!
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4940 on: February 10, 2016, 08:28:32 pm »

oh, goodness
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #4941 on: February 10, 2016, 08:36:30 pm »

He's got a point.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4943 on: February 10, 2016, 08:52:48 pm »

Does anyone say that? I mean, people who live on the Med are generally more Arabic than Slavs or Scandies, but they'd still class themselves as white.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4944 on: February 10, 2016, 08:54:23 pm »

Does anyone say that? I mean, people who live on the Med are generally more Arabic than Slavs or Scandies, but they'd still class themselves as white.

I fink all of norf Africa might have an ishoo wit dat. And Europe.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4945 on: February 10, 2016, 08:55:47 pm »

This is probably going to ping some nerves, but I'd say that that's because in the U.S. a good-sized chunk of the white population is actually able to trace their cultural roots back to a specific place. Most black folks don't have that luxury. Related: the movement towards latin@s being treated as an ethnic group as well as a cultural one, which I'd point to several things relating to how Latin America diverged from Spain and Portugal both racially (due to intermingling with Africans and native groups) and to a certain degree culturally.

I'd assume that in, say, Britain, there's also a much firmer divide between racial identity and cultural identity among various immigrant groups. The U.S. doesn't have that as much, partly because even the most well-preserved cultural traditions (i.e. Italians, Irish, Cuban, Korean, &c. immigrant descendents) have homogenized and integrated to a fairly strong degree. Like, I know that I've got a strong chunk of Scots blood in me, but I don't think of myself as Scottish-American despite the fact that a lot of my immigrant ancestors were Scots--that's pre-Revolution days we're talking about, and it's only really hung about in the sense of family heirlooms and stories. The Italians, Irish, &c. immigrant descendents tend to have stronger cultural identities because their ancestors came over more recently and in larger, more interconnected groups, such that they preserved more and haven't had as long to dilute. Meanwhile, to get back to the original point, the average African-American is lucky if they can trace their family back to antebellum days, never mind their ancestors point of origin. Note, also, that actual (that is to say, free-willed) black immigrants from Ethiopia, Jamaica, &c. do (at least in my observation) tend to retain that same sort of cultural identity.

It's definitely affected by duration since the arrival of ancestors, cohesiveness of immigrant groups, and the nature of the process by which they arrived (i.e. immigration vs. slave trade). If I had to hazard a guess, the larger context of the statement would be "I don't identify as 'white' [i.e. homogenous racial group], I'm Italian." Substitute "white" with "European", if that helps. "White" is bland, broad, and not very descriptive; if they're proud of their ancestry, they'd want to display it.

Well, hell, there's hundreds of pages of analysis and explanation in a topic that broad and multi-faceted, but there's a two-cent guess.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4946 on: February 10, 2016, 08:59:52 pm »

I fink all of norf Africa might have an ishoo wit dat. And Europe.
Well no duh I meant mediterranean yuropeens. The context was Italians and and white people, which leaves you with pretty much just Europe.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #4947 on: February 10, 2016, 09:02:00 pm »

Substitute "white" with "European", if that helps. "White" is bland, broad, and not very descriptive; if they're proud of their ancestry, they'd want to display it.
Fun fact: I'm actually descended from Nazis.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4948 on: February 10, 2016, 09:05:50 pm »

Latinats? Latinspidermonkeys? FD pls.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4949 on: February 10, 2016, 09:10:27 pm »

Fun fact: I'm a[...] Nazis.

I knew it.  :P
Pages: 1 ... 328 329 [330] 331 332 ... 879