Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: dwarven child development  (Read 971 times)

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
  • i really apreciate a good analogy
    • View Profile
dwarven child development
« on: June 30, 2014, 08:58:45 pm »

in the future what would you like to see in terms of children's growth what im hoping for is that they will be able to develop an interest in an industry such as wandering through the fort one day and seeing the weaponsmiths work become interested in it and even pick up a few skills for when they grow up to be honest this is mostly because I don't like having to choose the industry my dwarves work in I prefer to have them doing what there profession already is which does mean I tend to have a weak military but im never short of soap
important project progress

have some basic idea of whats going to go in it

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: dwarven child development
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 12:39:27 am »

This is the best and only way to raise dwarven children. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 12:59:45 am »

This is the best and only way to raise dwarven children. :P

but that wont make them into smiths and craftsmen also i supose with my way they may grow up with some weapon skills although of course there will be the chance of a dwarf soldier giving some light training to a kid and accidentally killing them resulting in depression maybe have kids who develop interests need to have the workshop for that interest manned at all times so the kids dont come in and do something stupid it could be nice for say a fatherless child to hang out at the forge and have the metalsmith become a father figure

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 02:52:09 am »

Punctuation: Have you heard of it? (Huge run-on sentences can be really annoying to read.)

Doesn't this belong in Suggestions?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 03:04:55 am »

Punctuation: Have you heard of it? (Huge run-on sentences can be really annoying to read.)

no it wasent a sugestion so much as a question about what you think would be good and yes the run on sentences are a problem i have i find it hard to avoid them

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 02:37:57 pm »

no it wasent a sugestion so much as a question about what you think would be good and yes the run on sentences are a problem i have i find it hard to avoid them

Take 30 seconds before you post to proofread, capitalize where needed, and apply punctuation. That will help people understand you better, particularly if English is not your native language.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 05:21:27 am »

Yes... as someone who does a fair amount of copyediting for others at my job, one helpful trick is NOT to read it to yourself as you go.  If you read it out loud like a story, you vary your voice and make it obvious where the breaks are.  If you are writing, it is not obvious at all.  Look at it like someone else wrote it and see if it makes sense.

While you can use punctuation to sub for some of this, using commas for example, it makes it a little more difficult on the reader; the same is true when people abuse semi-colons with mostly unrelated second sentences.  The worst is the colon: if its not followed by a list of things, its not being used correctly.  Although modern usage has decided that the exclamation point is very useful!!! it often just results! in sentence fragments!! or writing that sounds like a !!lunatic!! wrote it (and yes, parentheses are often funny and ironic, but mostly random - yes, that lunatic WAS on fire).

Hope this helps.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 05:40:20 am »

Yes... as someone who does a fair amount of copyediting for others at my job, one helpful trick is NOT to read it to yourself as you go.  If you read it out loud like a story, you vary your voice and make it obvious where the breaks are.  If you are writing, it is not obvious at all.  Look at it like someone else wrote it and see if it makes sense.

While you can use punctuation to sub for some of this, using commas for example, it makes it a little more difficult on the reader; the same is true when people abuse semi-colons with mostly unrelated second sentences.  The worst is the colon: if its not followed by a list of things, its not being used correctly.  Although modern usage has decided that the exclamation point is very useful!!! it often just results! in sentence fragments!! or writing that sounds like a !!lunatic!! wrote it (and yes, parentheses are often funny and ironic, but mostly random - yes, that lunatic WAS on fire).

Hope this helps.

Thanks