Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A very small third degree burn  (Read 11746 times)

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A very small third degree burn
« on: June 29, 2014, 10:27:26 am »

I got a drop of !!molten plastic!! on my finger, the burn is about 4mm in diameter, white, hurts only very slightly. So, should I like...do anything? Anyone has experience with that? Can I get some nasty infection? Septic shock? Death?

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
Re: A very small third degree burn
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 10:44:42 am »

I'm no medical expert, but that doesn't really sound like a big deal. Maybe put a bandaid on it.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 12:22:38 pm »

I got a pretty big but not severe burn a few years back, my skin pretty much peeled itself off from the affected area. There's no longterm risk that I'm aware of (disclaimer: not a medical expert). You might want to get some salve to help it heal faster. It's going to take some time to heal, might leave a light scar or not. If you don't already have some salve that can help with burns, you can probably find some prescription free stuff at the pharmacist. If there's a nurse at your school or place of work, you might as well show the burn there to sooth your nerves. In the best case scenario they'll give you something to help that burn heal up faster.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 12:47:59 pm »

That is not a third-degree burn. Third-degree is when the flesh is literally burned to a crisp. That is a first-degree burn, very minor second-degree at worst.

Just put a band-aid and possibly some ointment on it.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 01:18:31 pm »

If you say so. The internet told me that white+absence of pain means third degree.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 04:09:29 pm »

. . . 'The internet told me'.
:I
Without prior medical knowledge, it is very easy to misdiagnose any health injury or harm to the self. With the internet? While the knowledge is practically at anyone's disposal--the lack of in-depth knowledge is as dangerous as no knowledge at all. :-\
Also what Akura said.

Get it checked up if you fear something really bad, in the least. Like, tell the nearest person who cares about you.

When they say absence of pain--it means the nerve receptors are damaged and cannot send the message that there is pain. With burns, what usually happens is swelling, redness, heat (you'll feel the burn site being hot) among others. Talk to someone about it because here, we only have text to work on. :-\

You should also consider how long in contact you were with the source of heat.

Edit: I'm very curious on where in the internet you concluded that from ._.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 05:27:45 pm by Tiruin »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 09:32:27 pm »

Also for something that small, you'll live. You need a burn more than 3 percent of your body before you start worrying. At worst it turns to a nasty blister.
Its not like me that ended up with second degree burns on the whole top of my head, still wondering why the hair grew back....

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 01:10:05 pm »

I have a friend who accidentally dips part of his hand into molten zinc fairly often (he has to cap concrete samples so he can test them, and that involves dipping one end into molten zinc). As Akura said that sounds more like a first/second degree burn, so you will probably be ok just wrapping it and letting it heal. That said as stated by others, if you are worried about it at all turn to a medical professional, they will definitely know more about what to do then random people on the interwebs.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 03:21:53 pm »

Third degree means you went through all the skin layers.
Second degree means you went pretty deep, but not all the way to the fat layer.
If it turns into a blister, it's first degree.
Anyway, if in a couple days there's no blister and you can see shit that's not skin, just be sure to keep it clean. Maybe keep it covered for a couple days while it's still 'wet'.
It's very small, so no big deal. But it will take a while to heal.
If it turns into a blister, let it heal itself.

A real third degree (about 1.5 cm in size) took me an entire summer to heal completely. Actually it was quite interesting to see the skin gradually and concentrically grow back to patch the hole, wich was perfectly round in shape.

In doubt, go get it checked by a professional.

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 06:50:21 am »

A quick-start guide to burns:

First degree: only red skin, apply cold running water to relieve the burning sensation. DO NOT apply ice.
Second degree: Blisters form on the skin after some time. Best treatment is sterile covering. DO NOT pierce.
Third degree: skin turns black. You require medical attention.
Fourth degree: Skin is completely charred and deeper structures are also damaged. If you suffer burns of this magnitude, you probably already are in the hands of EMS.

Also, when covering burns, you should never apply the bandage straight to the burn - you should at least use some ointment before covering it, preferably containing panthenol.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 10:39:20 pm »

i got a second degree burn once, i got to watch fat boil under my skin. it was cool...

but yeah just keep it clean
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2014, 07:36:15 pm »

Anyway, if in a couple days there's no blister and you can see shit that's not skin, just be sure to keep it clean. Maybe keep it covered for a couple days while it's still 'wet'.

A real third degree (about 1.5 cm in size) took me an entire summer to heal completely. Actually it was quite interesting to see the skin gradually and concentrically grow back to patch the hole, wich was perfectly round in shape.

Now I'm curious, I'm picturing some sort of laser burn...
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2014, 11:54:26 am »

Now I'm curious, I'm picturing some sort of laser burn...
Could have been some kind of molten something-or-other.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2014, 01:07:55 pm »

Those strings on some shorts, to tighten them on the waist.
When they start going like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

you can briefly burn the end to melt it together.

But if it's 100% synthetic, it's basically molten plastic, wich goes through skin layers like a boss, especially if it sticks there for a few seconds.
So don't let it fall until it's cold  ::)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 01:09:38 pm by Ai Shizuka »

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 12:57:49 pm »

I have a newly healed burn from exactly the same thing.
Wash it, suck it up.
If it starts turning colors rub some alchohal on it and go to the doctor for some penisilian.
Don't put butter type things on it this is not the pioneer days.

Side note about scars.
I have one from a muffler that looks like the muslim sailor moon thingy.
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)