Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Read the post, then tell me what you think.

Fits perfectly.
Looks good.
Ok I guess.
Not convinced.
This is bad.
This is very bad.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Please vote on this, its important - Human Guilds  (Read 5982 times)

SIGVARDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Please vote on this, its important - Human Guilds
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2014, 05:29:32 pm »

Combined with what was shown earlier with the craftsmen and merchants, looks pretty nice. The way the guilds are constructed lends itself to easier play, but also harder if you wish to get everything running fast. Also the way humans are supposed to mine will make it quite novel. I'm sure there will be times when you really want to dig down normally, and it becomes sort of a true expedition, needing guards and the like against the boogeyman spawns (if that's how it still works)

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2014, 05:41:42 pm »

Not gonna lie, doors were the first thing that came to mind for me, too =P
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Endovior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2014, 09:35:58 pm »

Currently humans do nothing with books, ink, glue, paper, all that stuff.

The first thought that comes to mind would be to fold soap making into the other chemist functions, and add a scribe annex for the academics guild.  Of course, you'd want something to DO with the books, first.

Speaking personally, the idea of guild-based learning, using books, seems like a cooler skill-training solution than university-based learning, using gold.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2014, 12:29:28 am »

Yes, I had a scribe in the list, but I thought "wow, wait a moment, I dont know anything for them that has to do with books". Didnt occur to me to use the guilds as libraries. ^^
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

burrito25man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2014, 01:45:37 am »

Currently humans do nothing with books, ink, glue, paper, all that stuff.

The first thought that comes to mind would be to fold soap making into the other chemist functions, and add a scribe annex for the academics guild.  Of course, you'd want something to DO with the books, first.

Speaking personally, the idea of guild-based learning, using books, seems like a cooler skill-training solution than university-based learning, using gold.

I kind of agree. My two cents would be to allow each guild core produce a skill book based on the core level. IE a level 4 smiths guild can produce a level 4 smith book, which can be utilized at the university for a skill bonus.

And in regards to bookmaking, move it to a more vanilla reaction like the craftman's workshop, and have a scribe/printing press? addon allow for more efficient book production
It's a slippery slope.  You start out modding, then move on to hard DFHacking, and next thing you know you're making your own games...

LUA Script: Workaround for butchering Sentients
 - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=165414.0

Tenderroast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2014, 01:57:57 am »

Edit: I'll take my break now. That took a while.

you sir, deserve a drink. *applause*

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2014, 02:06:02 am »

But... I dont drink.  ???

I am torn about the book reagent for skill learning. If you dont have the Academics Guild to write books, none of the other guilds could teach skills, because you have no books. Why shouldnt the Masons or Smiths be able to teach their very practical skills, just because of lack of books?

I mean it makes sense to use books for skill learning, but it would make all guild skills depend on the academics guild.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Jiamil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2014, 02:30:02 am »

I dislike the idea of having the workshops basically attached to the guildhall. In medieval times, the Guild Hall was more like a Bar, where the guild members met and which was decorated with the things those members made, kind of an exclusive thing. I doubt, that those people would have enjoyed the noise and dirt the crafts-workshops made right next to where they met, discussed the town matters, and drank their beer.
The option to place the Workshops anywhere else shouldn't be the second option at all, it should be the first thought that comes into mind and would also help build a city rather than only a couple of huge buildings.

Edit: I would like to add, from a gameplay perspective, this is a rather nice idea, also with the sigil and the upgrading in mind, it is only from the simulation perspective quite bad.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 02:31:56 am by Jiamil »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2014, 02:40:04 am »

But there is no noise and dirt from reactions in DF  ??? And I cant make any discussions and drinking areas in workshops either, only the meeting area/dining room-zone.

If you know a way to simulate that, I am all ears, but I have to work with what the DF raws allow me to do.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2014, 02:50:59 am »

But... I dont drink.  ???

I am torn about the book reagent for skill learning. If you dont have the Academics Guild to write books, none of the other guilds could teach skills, because you have no books. Why shouldnt the Masons or Smiths be able to teach their very practical skills, just because of lack of books?

I mean it makes sense to use books for skill learning, but it would make all guild skills depend on the academics guild.
I don't remember, can you specify quality in reactions?
2 options - book, or destructively learn from a masterwork piece of the trade =P
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Jiamil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2014, 02:57:46 am »

I do know, that there is neither noise nor dirt, I wasn't argumenting from a game mechanics perspective (I have no coding experience what so ever, so I wouldn't be qualified the least to do so). I was more like pointing out how it would be if you want to take the simulation part and the medieval human setting serious. This is the part, where your imagination should, as a creative person you are, kick in ;-) Of course, you could just put every workshop next to each other, but it would be more realistic if you wouldn't because of said reasons.
Maybe make the centrepiece also some kind of the bar from dwarves (with the same reactions?) to simulate it.
I would just like you to take a step away from the code and mathematics and look at it as a whole, as a kind of living world, and how it should look and how the people in it would feel (...if the sawdust was in their beer glasses...). In my opinion, that is the main core of a good simulation.

On the coding side, you are doing miracles for what I am, peasant that I am, seeing.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2014, 03:34:48 am »

Jaimil, you misjudge my intentions. I am not writing a simulation. I am writing a strategy game. ;)

Jiamil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2014, 04:12:56 am »

Ah, ok. In that case, well as a strategy thing, it is a nice addition. But I would like to see a more simulation based approach  :P

Innocent Dave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2014, 04:19:32 am »

Guild-based training makes total sense to me.  If you want your new apprentice carpenter to get better at making tables, you don't send him off to university to read about it, you just show him how to make a table. The ability to have higher-level guildhalls train higher-level skills is nice too.

This way you could pretty much ditch the library system, so long as all the major skills are covered by guilds.
Reaching one's life goal shouldn't come with a happy thought.  It should come with a sudden existential crisis.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2014, 12:40:06 pm »

Well, the way I see it, is for that some advanced science skills, Humans[Or at least Peasants] learn slowly and you need books to train them properly.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5