Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 792 793 [794] 795 796 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 1031548 times)

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: full_output_name.replace("waaagh","WAAAGH")
« Reply #11895 on: December 28, 2020, 10:58:23 am »

I always thought orks were the most important xenos in 40k already, they've straight up already won

They've won in the "This is their perfect world" sense. But it's also been established that Orks can't really lose either. They've been found in Death Worlds, Chapter homeworlds, even the Eye of Terror. Heck, there was a story about how the Mechanicus sent a probe out of the known galaxy into deep space. 2000 years later, it's STILL sending back Ork signals.

Orks might not win. But you can't make them lose.
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: full_output_name.replace("waaagh","WAAAGH")
« Reply #11896 on: December 28, 2020, 12:58:19 pm »

Not just that they've got their perfect world, but also in the sense that the one thing keeping the orks from winning in totality is their disunity. But they're starting to unify with shit like the overfiend of Octarius joining Ghazkull's happy brigade

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11897 on: December 28, 2020, 06:29:14 pm »

Quick question on the Gladius game as it's on a fairly nice discount atm. Is it any good?

40k games haven't been particularly great in years now (few exceptions here and there), and this one looks like a reskinned Civ copy (which might not be a bad thing since Civ is pretty good), plus the DLC approach is a bit ehh as well from the looks of it (having both faction specific DLC and then smaller unit DLC which seems to add one or two units for each faction) so the total price comes out at quite a bit more if you want everything.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11898 on: December 28, 2020, 08:22:04 pm »

I tried the game like two or three years ago? It was when it came out, of course it was my own free trial if you know what I mean, the game was solid but seemed a little... sterile or bare bones, or with more space for expansion, which I guess they filled with cheap nickle and dime DLC instead of wholesome expansion packs like in my days.

It was indeed clonish of civ V but as you said is not a bad thing at all. Is not Shitstorm of Vengance for sure.

Out of morbid curioisity, how much is with the discount? Asking for a friend that is destitute   :P
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 08:26:16 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11899 on: December 29, 2020, 09:55:50 am »

It's at 60% so it comes around 11ish €/$ depending on your region, DLC is similarly discounted.

"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11900 on: December 30, 2020, 03:13:00 am »

Anyone have any recommendations on which of the books are a good read? There's... a lot of choice there.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11901 on: December 30, 2020, 08:14:51 am »

Well, Chiapas Cain, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM never let you down, and there is at least one audio book that I know off. It strike the rigth balance between grimdark and entretaiment.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11902 on: December 30, 2020, 08:27:18 am »

My personal favorite is the Night Lords books by Aaron Dembski-Bowden.

Follows the Night Lords, so the protagonists are very evil, but the books are great provided you aren't squeamish.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11903 on: December 30, 2020, 08:31:42 am »

Eisenhorn and Ravenor are good books following Inqisitors over large portions of their careers, both by Dan Abnett.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11904 on: December 30, 2020, 09:13:42 am »

Gaunt's ghosts is another classic recommend, though I haven't read all of it myself. +1 for Ciaphas Cain though, good stuff, though it can get a tad bit, erm, repetitive in a way so maybe don't binge it too quickly.

From ADB there is also Helsreach, though I listened to the audiobook so ymmv.

Oh! and All Guardsman Party, strong recommend for that one. :p

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11905 on: December 30, 2020, 01:56:40 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions :)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11906 on: December 30, 2020, 02:11:39 pm »

Gaunt's Ghosts and the old Grey Knight trilogy are also a good look into what could be called 'Oldhammer,' they were written back when things were a bit more loose and the setting was less defined.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11907 on: December 30, 2020, 02:17:49 pm »

Gaunt's Ghosts and the old Grey Knight trilogy are also a good look into what could be called 'Oldhammer,' they were written back when things were a bit more loose and the setting was less defined.

IIRC book two of ciaphas cain used the old necron fluff

I miss necron pariahs...
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11908 on: December 30, 2020, 02:38:28 pm »

I'll second reading the Commissar Cain novels.  They're pretty entertaining, even if some are a little outdated as mentioned, and the author is fond of reusing phrasing a lot.

They're also very good at deconstructing the setting a bit, which is the main thing I enjoyed about them.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11909 on: December 30, 2020, 02:45:40 pm »

I see people have already mentioned the classics.

Dan Abnett books, more or less regardless of the topic, are usually solid reads. I think Gaunt's Ghost is more action-y than the Eisenhorn or Ravenor series, and maybe easier to stay with. Eisenhorn and Ravenor both are very detailed and narrative oriented, more like a crime procedural set in 40k than what most other 40k stuff is (i.e. war.) So it might drag depending on what your expectations are.

Ciaphas Cain, HERO OF LE IMPERIUM, is just a fun series of novels. It manages to be 40k while still being funny, charming, and without just piling misery into the story.

Aaron Dembski-Bowden is probably one of the other most talented 40k writers out there IMO. The only black mark I'd put against him is that he's part of the troupe that made DADDY ISSUES the heart of the Horus Heresy stories.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 792 793 [794] 795 796 ... 824