Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 748 749 [750] 751 752 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 1032173 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile

The bigger problem would be if anyone still even remembers that fucking bomb Vulkan rigged to it "just in case".
The more I hear about Vulcan the more I like him, even outside Text-To-Speech-Device.  Nice, but also badass even for a demigod.

IT'S ALSO A HAMMER

This came to mind immediately, yes.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How do you beat eldar on the tabletop in general? Do the Guard and tau have different means of beating them?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Depends on their list, if its alaitoc hemlocks and ynnari dark reapers you don't beat them.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Depends on their list, if its alaitoc hemlocks and ynnari dark reapers you don't beat them.
List would be a balanced, fluff-based army.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Probably 3 tank commanders( might want to take them in emperors armoured fist formation to give them extra cool strategems and fabulous battlecannon with fixed 3 damage) , lots of hvt with mortars and lascannons(sort of most cost effecient dakka you can spam), infantry screen, typical guard stuff. Hydra flak tanks are awesome because they add + 1 to their hit rolls against flying stuff with their 4 autocannons, and eldar nearly always have flying stuff with just right toughness to be vulnerable to 4 autocannons. Wyverns are cheap source of 4 d 6 ignoring line of sight rerolling failed wound rolls shots and they force eldar t 3 infantry to throw too much saves to live.
Tempestus scions are cool response team to whatever problem you want to solve, because there are few problems you cant solve dropping whole suicide squad armed with overcharged plasma guns into it.

If it is not strictly limited to guard, might want to leave 85 spare points in your roster to use 1 cp strategem REQUEST APPROVED for summoning fitting asassinorum agent into your army during deployment phase. He brought lots of psychic memery? Culexus time! Vindicare with recent index imperial asassins can somewhat reliably kill support characters and he can with some luck kill two characters per turn. Eversor has strategem for fighting twice and thats 16 str 5 ap - 2 attacks with reroll to wound, which sort of guarantee killing enemy character or infantry you want dead. Inquisitor might come in handy for your infantry hordes, because he provides all imperial units around him his leadership value (and he has high leadership), he can cast smite and deny the witch and he is rather cheap hq.
Also primaris psykers( astra telepathica ones, not spess muhreens) are decent support for your army, as they can make squad immune to morale shenengians, give your tanks bonus to their armour saves and make them harder to hit, and + extra deny the witch.

Out of doctrines catachan and cadian one seems most effecient, as they buff your already good stuff the best way. Cadian rerolls of 1 to hit make your shooty army even more shooty, and catachans throwing extra dice on number of shots for random stuff and removing lowest really, no , REALLY IMPROVE your mortars, artillery, tanks and flamers.
Its really preferable not to invest too much in one unit( like knight commander Pask with 3 plasma cannons or baneblade)  because eldar usually have best way of countering such thing with their 9999999 psychic debuffs  on your one big thing and then 23239 psychic buffs dumped on their anti tank troops)
And obvious things like good knowledge of your codex strategems, quite often people forget, that 1 cp grenadiers strategem lets your 20 guardsmen squad become exterminatus grade threat, when every man in squad becomes able to throw grenade.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile

Well, there’s a problem with that...

In all seriousness that seems spot on. Also, don’t be too afraid if they’re running a balanced list. Well-rounded Eldar are beatable Eldar. It’s when some fucker. does that list with 6 supersonic flyers that are all psychic that you start not having fun. They’re kinda like space marines. It’s all fun and game, until they just use Aggresors and nothing else. Then me and the Boyz get cranky
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

The easiest way to beat them is to not play against them :P

*BLAM*
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

And obvious things like good knowledge of your codex strategems, quite often people forget, that 1 cp grenadiers strategem lets your 20 guardsmen squad become exterminatus grade threat, when every man in squad becomes able to throw grenade.
[HIGH IMPACT URBAN WARFARE VIOLENCE]
Did unlimited conscripts make their way back onto the tabletop? I haven't played in ages but I'd love to get my group back together once everyone's in the same country again lol

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Only Valhallans among ig have 3cp strategem for respawning infantry squads, but IT COSTS REINFORCEMENTS POINTS, so its basicly does not happen(because you need to make gap in your roster), unless you play narrative games without point costs.

Surprisingly, since new CSM codex, the most effecient respawning infantry are 20 man chaos space marine squads of red corsairs, because red corsairs get 3  bonus command points for having 3 squads of csm in roster and their own exclusive 3 cp  strategem letting whole csm unit respawn, if there is at least one man left. They actually do it completely free once and can do it through all the game for more command points, unless you DUMP really much firepower in them.
Also orks get to respawn 40 men blobs of boys.

I wonder, where Huron got enough chaos space marines to outnumber imperial guard.  ???

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

He's just so gosh darn likeable terrifying.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile

Actually we only get 30 strong squads of boys, as Greentide reverts the unit to its original strength, not its max mob-up strength

But still, spending 3 command points to outflank 210 points worth of one of the most point efficient melee infantry in the game is still ducking amazing

All of these “Spend X to refuel units” are almost entirely one use only. I think Dark Eldar have one that’s like for Wracks, but Wracks literally are meant to die and not much else, so it balances
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 03:15:40 pm by LordPorkins »
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I wonder, where Huron got enough chaos space marines to outnumber imperial guard.  ???

Fluffwise he's kinda like the Abaddon of the Maelstrom, all the little pirates and renegades come to him because he has all the shiny stuff and a good reputation, and it builds up over time.

Mechanically speaking it's to try and promote people using Chaos Marine units over Cultists units, along with nerfing cultists by not letting them have faction traits anymore.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile

Fluffwise he's kinda like the Abaddon of the Maelstrom, all the little pirates and renegades come to him because he has all the shiny stuff and a good reputation, and it builds up over time.

Mechanically speaking it's to try and promote people using Chaos Marine units over Cultists units, along with nerfing cultists by not letting them have faction traits anymore.
Also wasn’t he involved in that horrifying daemonculaba thing along with fabulous bile? Cloning CSM inside unwilling surrogates
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also wasn’t he involved in that horrifying daemonculaba thing along with fabulous bile? Cloning CSM inside unwilling surrogates

No that was Honsou of the Iron Warriors. He made daemonculaba by sorcerously grafting women with stolen gene seed, binding warp spirits in them, bloating them to massive size and surgically inserting boys of the appropriate age to become Astartes into them in an attempt to speed up the process of making new chaos marines as I recall.

Huron does steal a lot of geneseed when he can, but he makes his marines the old fashioned way, by growing organs inside slaves and implanting them into feral children.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile

How do you beat a balanced, fluff based eldar army on the tabletop?
CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESE

Same as any army. Play to your strengths. Guard have some of the highest toughness armor in the game (but not a huge wound pool), along with tons and tons of cheap guns.
Tau win on prioritisation, and railguns are cool.
(Also to dip into the dickbucket, your sad S6 plasma happens to pip T5 eldar vehicles, and double out T3 elsar infantry.)
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 748 749 [750] 751 752 ... 824