Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 592 593 [594] 595 596 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 1023975 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K thread: No Such Thing As A Free Bolter, But Heresy's Everywhere!
« Reply #8895 on: May 22, 2017, 04:35:30 pm »

As I recall the plasma used in plasma weapons and generators is harvested from stars. Aside from the fusion and fission reactors used in some cities that probably makes up most of the energy supply for cities and spacecraft. Practically all of it for spacecraft I suppose since my understanding is everything slightly smaller than a frigate and up uses plasma, as well as most smaller stuff.

But the military grade resources the Imperium needs are either only found in planets, like adamantium, or are the result of a complex industrial process like plasteel, armaglas, ferrocrete and ceramite. To my understanding it's not possible to extract any of these from stars or asteroids because they just aren't found in them, or at least not in any reasonable quanitity. They're derived from prometheum extracts, heavy metals, dense mineral formations and the like. Things that form primarily through long geological processes are the raw ingredients for the Imperial industrial process.

That and time is one of the more limited resources in the Imperium. Man hours are plentiful, but actual time costs a lot more, and solar resource extraction can't be rushed by throwing bodies at it the way open cast mining or logging can.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Warhammer 40K thread: from the Warp it cameth forth: Plot Advancement.
« Reply #8896 on: May 22, 2017, 04:38:47 pm »

As was mentioned, with the way Imperial resource lines are it's almost inherently unprofitable to do something like this. The Imperium's main externality is human bodies, a problem that can't be solved mostly by throwing human bodies at is a hard one for them.
With how the Imperium is, Dead Worlds are particular things. We're not talking about a devastation of society thing, even the most severe cracks can still be reduced to Feral Worlds instead. Dead Worlds are those that have literally no human life left on them, with the hardiness of humans this generally means the world's atmosphere has been destroyed.
The atmospheric failure creates the largest problem, because it means that you can't just release a million slaves to crawl across the world on broken legs with paintbrushes collecting heavy metals residue. It has to be a high-tech operation at the least.
Dunno, it's lore that 40k private individuals engage in mining of particularly valuable asteroids, thus it seems odd that private individuals would not seek greater concentrations of wealth in areas where competition does not otherwise exist - besides superstition about visiting dead worlds of course. Servitors are readily available for such individuals who would not need armies of slave humans, instead having armies of slave human-cyborgs who do not flinch at the small issue of having no atmosphere. Moreover the presence of strategic resources (most significantly, adamantium) would certainly attract the attention of administratum or mechanicus efforts, both of whom would not be concerned with the cost involved in extracting such resources. Servitors drastically increase the breadth of imperial resource gathering operations

A point to make is that the Imperium's resource lines are somewhat functional under realism but also strictly irrational. How should a spacefaring empire collect resources? From stars and gas giants. Everything else is minuscule and unimportant. Planets are for localization at best, but with the presence of the warp and the grimdark social stratification the Imperium can't set that up. The only reference to star harvesting or even significant space-based industry is the Mechanicus drawing plasma from solar coronas.
In the end, Dead Worlds are just kind of useless because they really don't have a lot of resources, you can't throw humans at the problem to solve it autonomously, and anything singularly interesting or invaluable is going to have a Research Station dedicated to it instead.
The point I'd like to add is that in addition to servitors, not all dead worlds are useless. Ones consumed by Tyranids, positioned on a Tomb World or consumed by Chaos are worthless because they have been scoured of all resources or else all servitors sent would be destroyed, but there are cases where an entire population has been destroyed and the world rendered extinct of life, yet the planet itself is still resource-rich or even habitable

Most notably are the quarantined worlds, which are dead worlds but worlds the Imperium intends to utilize at a later date
Then there are worlds which have been scoured of humans but remain usable, or ones which could be made usable, and this really weird one which is a dead world but still remains in use. Looking further Medusa V provides an example of my earlier musings that any planet rich in strategic resources would be worth it to the administratum or mechanicus to devote extreme efforts towards harvesting - with the mechanicus building massive cities to house millions of workers used to harvest and process Medusa V's strategic resources.

The most amusing one I have found thus far is Morwen VI, which is the site of some pre-existing civilization that had been destroyed long before the Imperium found it. The Mechanicus noted lots of fossil fuel resources available, and thus marked it for future resource gathering operations. In the meantime it was garrisoned with Imperial Guard soldiers, who used the oxygen scarce atmosphere as the perfect training environment.

So yeah there are lots of reasons why a dead world is valuable to the Imperium: It can host resources that are unavailable anywhere else, it could have been home to a valuable human world whose only casualties have been humans - the resources remain, and it could even be home to a planet that is entirely untapped with special resources that has not even been visited by humans in the last few thousand years. Could also have valuable orbital facilities to boot

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8897 on: May 22, 2017, 04:41:21 pm »

The ecclesiarchy has better things to do than collect lost artifacts of dubious authenticity belonging to minor saints. There are literally thousands of saints in the Imperium, most of them only known of on one or two planets, and for every genuine relic there are a few billion fake ones. The time it would take to check them out is better spent from the perspective of the ecclesiarchs who have access to any spacecraft.

This is 40k. That is exactly how they would spend their time. I mean, the Administratum? Hopeless, endless Pyrrhic bureaucracy defines the Imperium of Man. I imagine there is an entire department of the Ecclesiarchy dedicated investigating claims like this. The Vatican has a department for investigating miracles and acts of Sainthood, I imagine the Imperium does too, only it's tens of thousands of representatives instead of a couple dozen. Might actually make for a cool story, now that I think about it. Ecclesiarch investigator goes to some shitty backwater thinking it's just another spent bolt shell casing, and it turns out to be a legitimate relic of a saint and all sorts of hijinks ensue, Indian Jones style.

It's still so rare that a regiment of thousands usually has no more than three plasma weapons in their entire arsenal, and those are usually mediocre ones by the standard of plasma. The only people in the entire Imperium who are actually supposed to have lots of them are Dark Angels and the Mechanicus.

I'm just going to disagree here. In all my reading this is never made clear. Guys have plasma weapons, all factions, of every echelon. The quality in plasma weaponry is not explicitly stated, nor-canonical. The Mechanicus talks more about still having functioning Conversion Beamers and Lightning Guns as their special tech far, far more than they mention "our plasma weapons don't suck."

It's like Power Swords. Supposedly rare as hell and lost tech, yet every asshole Colonel in the IG seems to have one. I can't read any novel from any faction without at least one mention of a plasma weapon, somewhere. Sometimes even including random shitty and outgunned cultists. So unless every single work of fiction happens to mention the same two to three plasma weapons per chapter/regiment, I'm going to say you're overestimating their rarity, or taking one author's contribution and inflating it to apply to the whole Imperium. I know the lore behind DA plasma weapons, I just don't agree with it.

If a guy like that thinks he might be able to salvage a plasma cannon or powerful shield generator from a wrecked fortress world or abandoned governor's pleasure palace he'll leap at it, it's probably worth roughly as much as his spacecraft is if it's in good condition.

I'm not arguing that. But that is a fringe economy in 40k. It's not the core economy. As I always like to say, anything is possible in 40k so I'm not disagreeing with you it exists. I'm just disagreeing that it makes up any significant part of the stellar economy. Junkers do not keep the Imperium running.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 05:18:33 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8898 on: May 22, 2017, 05:16:41 pm »

The ecclesiarchy has better things to do than collect lost artifacts of dubious authenticity belonging to minor saints. There are literally thousands of saints in the Imperium, most of them only known of on one or two planets, and for every genuine relic there are a few billion fake ones. The time it would take to check them out is better spent from the perspective of the ecclesiarchs who have access to any spacecraft.

This is 40k. That is exactly how they would spend their time. I mean, the Administratum? Hopeless, endless Pyrrhic bureaucracy defines the Imperium of Man.

Except it is explicitly not how the major groups spend their time. Thousands of worlds with valuables on them are left to rot by the Imperial branches of government because they have other stuff to do that matters more. The Ecclesiarchy doesn't chase down every random saints relics because it a) knows most of them are fake b) prefers to send it's ships on their actual ecclesiastical tasks, such as diplomatic missions to other Imperial groups or to spread the Imperial Creed to planets it hasn't been spread to yet and c) sending military forces out to kill things they don't like.

A verified relic might get their attention, but they're a big organisation and only a few bits of it have access to actual warpcraft, and the likihood the people who have such authority will even hear about the holy panataloons of saint McNobody from the planet Derpington is basically nil. Saint Evisser is a great example of this, after the resources in the area he was beatified in dried up everyone basically forgot he existed because his import outside the area was bupkiss. The same carries across to 99% of the other saints. They don't matter to the Ecclesiarchy outside a very small important number, unless something happens that makes the current ranking Ecclesiarch in the area care.

The same principle applies to the other groups, they all have to send their warp ships on missions of expansion, reclamation, intra-Imperial diplomacy, espionage, war and major resource collecting. Minor stuff gets put at the bottom of the priority list until later, or they throw some coins at a random guy with a ship and get him to take care of it, or task it to a flunkey and let them make it to the place in question on their own with no support.

It's still so rare that a regiment of thousands usually has no more than three plasma weapons in their entire arsenal, and those are usually mediocre ones by the standard of plasma. The only people in the entire Imperium who are actually supposed to have lots of them are Dark Angels and the Mechanicus.

I'm just going to disagree here. In all my reading this is never made clear. Guys have plasma weapons, all factions, of every echelon. The quality in plasma weaponry is not explicitly stated, nor-canonical. The Mechanicus talks more about still having functioning Conversion Beamers and Lightning Guns as their special tech far, far more than they mention "our plasma weapons don't suck."

It's like Power Swords. Supposedly rare as hell and lost tech, yet every asshole Colonel in the IG seems to have one. I can't read any novel from any faction without at least one mention of a plasma weapon, somewhere. So unless every single work of fiction happens to mention the same two to three plasma weapons per chapter/regiment, I'm going to say you're overestimating their rarity, or taking one author's contribution and inflating it to apply to the whole Imperium. I know the lore behind DA plasma weapons, I just don't agree with it.

They essentially do mention the two or three per regiment, yes. That's how stories tend to work, you focus on the guys who have interesting abilities or equipment. Power weapons are supposed to be more common than plasma anyway, since they can still be made on most Forge Worlds by a multitude of people, while plasma is supposed to be so hard to make an entire Forge World might have just one Magos who can craft it, and he does it by hand over a three year period. They're harder to get than hellguns to the average person, and even they're rare as hell despite being able to be mass produced.

Also, when the Mechanicus is mentioned in regards to plasma, the amount and quality of it they have is explicitly a closely guarded secret. The Lathe Worlds mentions they hoard the stuff and the knowledge to create it beyond any other standard weaponry, as does .

If a guy like that thinks he might be able to salvage a plasma cannon or powerful shield generator from a wrecked fortress world or abandoned governor's pleasure palace he'll leap at it, it's probably worth roughly as much as his spacecraft is if it's in good condition.

I'm not arguing that. But that is a fringe economy in 40k. It's not the core economy. As I always like to say, anything is possible in 40k so I'm not disagreeing with you it exists. I'm just disagreeing that it makes up any significant part of the stellar economy. Junkers do not keep the Imperium running.

I never said they kept the Imperium running, I'm saying they represent the majority of ships that would salvage dead and dying worlds, and form the bulk of shipping to planets outside the main quartet of Agri World, Hive World, Fortress World and Forge World. Imperial Worlds, Feral Worlds, Feudal Worlds, Shrine Worlds, Dead Worlds and so on are of no interest to the Imperium most of the time, and largely see passenger flights, pilgrim ships, scavvies, small scale traders, bounty hunters, bored nobles and other small vessel traffic. You can go three centuries without a ship even half the size of a frigate heading to a Feral World, and the big ship that finally does show up probably just wants to draft a bunch of tribals into the guard.

EDIT: Also, since I just remembered I never shared this here.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I stole a bird and a sword from the Deathwatch to make a chaos champion/lord a bit more visually interesting. I predict the bird being a pain in the ass to transport though. It's going to snap off all the bloody time.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 06:03:21 pm by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8899 on: May 22, 2017, 10:22:25 pm »

Except it is explicitly not how the major groups spend their time. Thousands of worlds with valuables on them are left to rot by the Imperial branches of government because they have other stuff to do that matters more. The Ecclesiarchy doesn't chase down every random saints relics because it a) knows most of them are fake b) prefers to send it's ships on their actual ecclesiastical tasks, such as diplomatic missions to other Imperial groups or to spread the Imperial Creed to planets it hasn't been spread to yet and c) sending military forces out to kill things they don't like.

Reclamation is a thing the Ecclesiarchy does. They've led battle groups and crusades to do it. I don't think it's unlikely they've got a more mundane and less militant arm that investigates these things on pacified, compliant Imperial worlds. And these things aren't common lasguns or portable generators or vehicles or works d' art. They're sacred holy relics (potentially) for a religion that's been around for 10,000 years and no one was there for the start of. For the Ecclesiarchy I can't imagine anything more important than demonstrable proof of the Emperor's divinity, it'd be their STC.

The same principle applies to the other groups, they all have to send their warp ships on missions of expansion, reclamation, intra-Imperial diplomacy, espionage, war and major resource collecting. Minor stuff gets put at the bottom of the priority list until later, or they throw some coins at a random guy with a ship and get him to take care of it, or task it to a flunkey and let them make it to the place in question on their own with no support.

Shit missions requiring actual resources because of political reasons is also a thing of the setting. Somehow I don't think you entrust the retrieval of an actual holy relic to some random scavenger. Nor would I think they'd just have a receiving office for people to drop off possible relics. The more I think about, the more sense it makes for the Ecclesiarchy, with its considerable resources, to actually devote personnel to this themselves. May not be an important role or a distinguished role, but something that'd be from within the Church.

When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8900 on: May 22, 2017, 11:09:48 pm »

EDIT: Also, since I just remembered I never shared this here.
I stole a bird and a sword from the Deathwatch to make a chaos champion/lord a bit more visually interesting. I predict the bird being a pain in the ass to transport though. It's going to snap off all the bloody time.
Spoiler: My contribution (click to show/hide)
Is my aspiring champion for SWArma.
I'm kind of just muddling along on him.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 11:11:27 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8901 on: May 23, 2017, 06:46:22 am »

Reclamation is a thing the Ecclesiarchy does. They've led battle groups and crusades to do it. I don't think it's unlikely they've got a more mundane and less militant arm that investigates these things on pacified, compliant Imperial worlds. And these things aren't common lasguns or portable generators or vehicles or works d' art. They're sacred holy relics (potentially) for a religion that's been around for 10,000 years and no one was there for the start of. For the Ecclesiarchy I can't imagine anything more important than demonstrable proof of the Emperor's divinity, it'd be their STC.

Most relics are nothing close to proof of the Emperor's divinity, they're just piles of dirt, scraps of cloth and moldering bones stolen from the corpses of dead priests and battle sisters. The Ecclesiarchy doesn't care about them any more than the Catholic Church cares about the majority of saint's fingerbones circulating around the world.

On the rare occasion an actual verifiable relic shows up with miraculous powers, then yeah, the Ecclesiarchy goes full zealot and tries to collect it if it's not in the hands of what they consider an appropriate bearer, but most Imperial relics are (fake) souvenirs and good luck charms in the style of pendants made from 'saint's bones', though if you assumed them all to be real saint's would all have had skeletons the size of planets.

Shit missions requiring actual resources because of political reasons is also a thing of the setting. Somehow I don't think you entrust the retrieval of an actual holy relic to some random scavenger. Nor would I think they'd just have a receiving office for people to drop off possible relics. The more I think about, the more sense it makes for the Ecclesiarchy, with its considerable resources, to actually devote personnel to this themselves. May not be an important role or a distinguished role, but something that'd be from within the Church.

The Ecclesiarchy has no office for people to drop off possible relics, they just trust pilgrims to leave them in temples in the hopes of gaining the Emperor's gaze. They also often then sell those relics to other pilgrims, but that's just business.

Thing is, most relics are literal garbage. Things like the Blood of Martyrs relics that can heal wounds or burst into holy flames in the hands of the most faithful are probably less than one in a billion relics and rapidly find their way into the hands of the Inquisition, Battle Sisters or Space Marines. If they sent people out to check out every random trinket to see if it was really a bone from Saint Sebastian Thor rather than another of the nigh infinite fake ones they'd never have time to preach, so they mostly don't bother until they get lots of rumours of miracles that seem plausible to them.

Lots of real relics get left in the dust because of this, but eventually someone will find them and word will get out. It's even a suggested campaign thread for Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader parties to find a genuine relic's location and go find out if it's real, and then deal with the fallout of having such a thing and the Ecclesiarchy wanting it for themselves.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8902 on: May 23, 2017, 10:22:45 am »

On the rare occasion an actual verifiable relic shows up with miraculous powers, then yeah, the Ecclesiarchy goes full zealot and tries to collect it if it's not in the hands of what they consider an appropriate bearer, but most Imperial relics are (fake) souvenirs and good luck charms in the style of pendants made from 'saint's bones', though if you assumed them all to be real saint's would all have had skeletons the size of planets.

Because it's readily apparent without looking right? Golden beams of light shooting out of true relics?  ::)

The Ecclesiarchy has no office for people to drop off possible relics, they just trust pilgrims to leave them in temples in the hopes of gaining the Emperor's gaze. They also often then sell those relics to other pilgrims, but that's just business.

So they don't give a shit, except when they do, and it's arbitrary, until it's not?

Lots of real relics get left in the dust because of this, but eventually someone will find them and word will get out. It's even a suggested campaign thread for Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader parties to find a genuine relic's location and go find out if it's real, and then deal with the fallout of having such a thing and the Ecclesiarchy wanting it for themselves.

Yeah I own both games, I know the scenarios. And for all that, they don't have their own relic hunters.....Just gonna disagree and stop arguing with you.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8903 on: May 23, 2017, 10:52:37 am »

So they don't give a shit, except when they do, and it's arbitrary, until it's not?

That sounds exactly like the Eccelsiarchy

Anyway, verifying or refuting the sanctity of relic artefacts is probbably the task of local priests. Remember, while the ecclesiarchy itself isn't present everywhere, the church it runs is. If someone says they have the toenails of Saint Petrarcus then it's probbably Pastor Meridius from the local chapel who investigates it on his off-time, and doesn't call in the Ecclesiarchy or his Church superiors unless it's either heretica,l or it's not only genuine but glows golden and causes miraculous healing in its vicinity.

Even when the Inquisition is called in for heresy, from what I've read it's usually something that started like "Local priest has noticed that actually those books the hive nobles are passing around are heretical" or "Local priest has observed a massive drop in church attendance"
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8904 on: May 23, 2017, 10:55:27 am »

As I recall the plasma used in plasma weapons and generators is harvested from stars.

It never occurred to me that this might be how plasma weapons were intended to work in 40K.  Has this ever been stated in the fluff?  It doesn't really make any sense, which leads me to believe that it is indeed how it's supposed to work.

I always assumed the flasks on plasma weapons were some kind of liquefied reaction mass used to make up the plasma bolt itself, but the plasma was generated through somewhat conventional means - just heating it up a crazy amount until it vaporized and then turned into a plasma.  Either that or hydrogen used in a microfusion reaction to produce the plasma (but then, what's a meltagun?).  I never considered they might be storing the plasma in the flask somehow.  That's not unlike trying to store magma in a flask: it'll quickly cool off and harden back into rock.  Might as well just take any old rock with you if you're going to do that.

Similarly, I always assumed plasma reactors were just some kind of advanced fusion reactor that used plasma as its primary medium.  It would be pretty weird if they were really just thermocouples around giant plasma batteries that had to be replenished from stars.

But, then, this is 40K where logic is for the weak.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8905 on: May 23, 2017, 11:19:08 am »

As I recall the plasma used in plasma weapons and generators is harvested from stars.

It never occurred to me that this might be how plasma weapons were intended to work in 40K.  Has this ever been stated in the fluff?  It doesn't really make any sense, which leads me to believe that it is indeed how it's supposed to work.

I always assumed the flasks on plasma weapons were some kind of liquefied reaction mass used to make up the plasma bolt itself, but the plasma was generated through somewhat conventional means - just heating it up a crazy amount until it vaporized and then turned into a plasma.  Either that or hydrogen used in a microfusion reaction to produce the plasma (but then, what's a meltagun?).  I never considered they might be storing the plasma in the flask somehow.  That's not unlike trying to store magma in a flask: it'll quickly cool off and harden back into rock.  Might as well just take any old rock with you if you're going to do that.

Similarly, I always assumed plasma reactors were just some kind of advanced fusion reactor that used plasma as its primary medium.  It would be pretty weird if they were really just thermocouples around giant plasma batteries that had to be replenished from stars.

But, then, this is 40K where logic is for the weak.

I've only seen it mentioned once, one of the shorter novels mentions a plasma refinery warpcraft that sucked the raw ingredients for plasma out of stars and gas giants.

Other than that I don't recall it being mentioned anywhere where plasma comes from. Rogue Trader (the original one, not the RPG) might mention it somewhere, but it's so different from the later versions of 40k I've not read much from it beyond the Ork stuff.

EDIT: Found it, 3rd and 2nd edition mention plasma weapons with flasks of hydrogen they ionise into plasma inside a fusion core inside the gun, then propel out in a magnetic field. Apparently this is also the basis of how plasma reactors work. So the refinery must have been sucking hydrogen out of gas giants.

Though why you need a plasma refinery that contains volatile plasma given that it's really just needing to suck up and purify hydrogen gas is beyond me. And if it was mostly Hydrogen, how it exploded so massively in the book it was in just raises more questions. /EDIT

Also, 8th edition's release date has been announced as June 17th and some new Guillimarines have been revealed along with the new Deathguard models. https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/23/warhammer-40000-launch-date-announced-may22gw-homepage-post-1/

Some notable minis.

So we have an old Legions style support squad with some kind of new plasma gun, what looks to be a jet pack unit as opposed to normal jump pack ones, and a new variant of terminator armour.

While I quite like the normal primaris marines, I don't much care for these guys. The extended plasma gun feels off to me, I get too much of a Tau vibe from it for some reason. The jet pack guys... I'll just say I don't care for the jet pack, the head cowl, the leg braces or the gun shields. The terminator HQ guy looks pretty neat though, seems to take a lot of inspiration from the design for Guilliman, with the sword/fist/wristgun combo.

There's another couple of primaris HQs, and some images of the normal ones, but they're not all that interesting to look at.

So we have new plague marines, which a lot of people will be very happy about. I really like the guy with the antlers on the left myself. New cultists, which look pretty neat, but I can't really pin down a dress code with them. It's a mix of guardsmen, genestealer cultist mining gear, and some kind of dress coat, and that guy at the back with what looks like a napkin for a loincloth. And a cataphractii terminator lord of Nurgle, who looks rather badass.

Also a new sorcerer, a daemon engine clearly based on FWs Blight Drone, and a banner carrier to counteract the one they've made for the primaris marines. The only one I don't like is the sorcerer, but those cultists I'm very iffy on.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 11:40:51 am by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8906 on: May 23, 2017, 12:29:00 pm »

The jet pack guys... I'll just say I don't care for the jet pack, the head cowl, the leg braces or the gun shields.
I agree. You can tell they're supposed to be orbital drop troopers from the whole 'spaceman' theme, but frankly with visors they'd look like starcraft marines, and without visors they look like librarians.
Makes it even more confusing for the HQ when he doesn't have the whole flight rig.

Do those boltguns look a little stubby to anyone else?
At first look I though they were pistols.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8907 on: May 23, 2017, 12:37:40 pm »

Do those boltguns look a little stubby to anyone else?
At first look I though they were pistols.

I'm not sure myself, it could just be the angle of the models that makes them look stubby. It's not like traditional bolters are particularly big on the models, and that plasma gun(?) looks about as big as a normal one on them.

Regardless, I'm probably going to pick up the starter box for 8th. A lot of the Primaris guys look derpy, but I can probably find something to do with them, and the more normal ones will fit just fine with Black Templars, and the Death Guard are a good pair with my World Eaters army.

EDIT: This has been doing the rounds on some of the facebook 40k groups and I had to share it.  :P
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 02:34:52 pm by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8908 on: May 23, 2017, 03:36:56 pm »

Seeing companies active like that on social media is still so strange and funny to me.  I know they're professional "community managers" but still.  (And the Sonic Twitter guy was originally just a huge fan IIRC)

"HERETIC NO BAKA"
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8909 on: May 23, 2017, 03:45:07 pm »

It's a few companies who managed to be early adopters of post-ironic memelordery. A lot of companies are still stuck in the "PR reviews every letter of every public statement" age that grew out of people getting in trouble for not having PR departments. Now everybody is sick to death of PR departments and some companies have realized they can get the younger half of humanity to like them by tearing off the robot mask and acting basically normal.

Organic to artificial to organic once again.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 592 593 [594] 595 596 ... 824