Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 507 508 [509] 510 511 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 1026466 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Hassan sells camels

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

On the topic of favourite factions, I'm personally quite fond of the Mechanicus. They have lightning guns and Titans and lots of techno-magic goodies.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 04:50:06 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

Yeah if we're going to answer honestly...
Tau, Eldar, Mechanicus

A better universe through technological superiority and justified smugness.
Also diplomacy (except for the Eldar, but they're just that superior).

But why no Dark Eldar?
Dark Eldar is what I am terrified of becoming, and constantly have to resist.  Which makes me a normal Eldar :P
Dark Eldar are what happens when hope dies.

Mechanicus are cool because gritty transhumanism and, as Andres points out, awesome toys arcane relics of immeasurable power.  Imperial Guard is really cool too but largely because of the Mechanicus.  Space Marines are ONLY cool because of the Mechanicus :P

not starting another tau discussion if I can help it :-X
Gue'Vesa are sooooo coooool though
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile

soooooooo ...

If chaos is a humanity-creation, how does the eldar make a daemon-baby?  Did their fucking not make it before but suddenly do so after?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

I am not well-versed in the lore, but here I go anyway!

The Eldar were spiraling further and further into excess for a long time.  There's nothing particularly unusual about the timing...  They just hit a critical mass of obscene indulgence.  It wasn't bad enough, then it was.  And Slaanesh took almost all of them, leaving the weird prudes to become the Eldar we know.  IIRC, they were a galaxy-spanning civilization, probably many quadrillions of souls.  Now they're practically nomads, living desperately ascetic lives lest they fall to the great devourer.

Though it is kinda weird that humanity spawned the other three.  What's up with that?  If any race was going to spawn Lord Just-As-Planned, seems like it would be Eldar.
Hell, Eldar even have their own Khorne-analogue.  He just prefers to kill filthy xenos than Eldar.
...  And the Laughing God.  And that weird goddess of healing Nurgle captured?  And a death goddess?

Maybe the Eldar and humans just have different pantheons.  The human pantheon is just more important because the Eldar fucked themselves practically to death.  And Slaanesh goes both ways because... yeah.

Edit:  Decided to capitalize "Laughing God".  I'd rather not anger the Harlequins.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 07:44:33 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Yeah if we're going to answer honestly...
Tau, Eldar, Mechanicus
A better universe through technological superiority and justified smugness.
Also diplomacy (except for the Eldar, but they're just that superior).
I really love Eldar, Mechanicus and Kroot, however their hats just don't compare. I really like the whole idea with the Eldar, and just how far they fell, constantly being reminded of how usurped they are and how declining their entire species is. Their greatest craftworlds which to the lesser races are insane relics of immense power, are to them what were their basic merchant vessel. And they only have themselves to blame for this mess, and what caused it? Boredom. The Eldar defeated death itself, and were killed by boredom. I love that

Mechanicus are amazing, they are hyper-rational robots, yet they managed to get across how it is possible to replace the flesh with machine and become a hyper-rational human. It is an immense source of joy to see purity robit humans acting out the functions of humanity with the language of robits, I think the pinnacle of this is in the first heretic where a mechanicus guy delivers some final protocols for his fallen servitors ;-;

Imperium is by far my favourite faction. So much promise, so much time spent in a glorious age - and it's all over. That age is gone and it will never come back, the end is coming from all sides without and within, the only reason all hasn't already collapsed is that the threats are so numerous and the imperium so vastly clusterfucked that no one threat is capable of fully destroying the other, leaving the horrendous bureaucratic galactic mess slogging it out in vast attrition warfare with the entire universe. At its heart is one God who is literally the lighthouse guiding all of mankind on the rocks, prolonging humanity's existence out of sheer stubbornness and arbitrary determination in the human condition. This God feeds on thousands of his people every day to live, and every day hears the prayers of trillions of worlds, all screaming out in pain and fear to a God who fought to be a Man. Every prayer a mockery of all he believed in and fought for, a never ending reminder of his failure to his progeny and project, twisting on his already shattered psyche as even his frame has deteriorated to only machine and bone. He can never wake from this nightmare, he can never turn back on his worshipers, he must protect them even as he feels the weight of all suffering, he didn't ask for this and he isn't even allowed to die; this is the grim dark future of the Imperium of Man circa 40,000.

But why no Dark Eldar?
Dark Eldar is what I am terrified of becoming, and constantly have to resist.  Which makes me a normal Eldar :P
Dark Eldar are what happens when hope dies.
Dark Eldar know when they die they enter the hell they created, so they determined to not ever die. A whole colony of Dorian Grays stretched over aeons, only their portrait is not a painting, but the pain of their victims

soooooooo ...
If chaos is a humanity-creation, how does the eldar make a daemon-baby?  Did their fucking not make it before but suddenly do so after?
Chaos is a creation of the necrontyr/Old One war in heaven

Humanity sustains it from the horus heresy onwards but that's just because they grew more psychically nutritious than eldar from that point on

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So Im mixing my whf lore with 40k then.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I tend to assume that Khorne, Nurgle, Slaanesh and Tzeentch first began to form back in the first corruptions of the Warp during the War in Heaven, but did not awaken for a long time. The old fluff for them as I recall was that they first gained sentience from the actions and plights of men, not that they were necessarily made by them.

After the Necrons went to sleep there was basically nothing the Eldar could not do, they had a stable government in their monarchs and princes, they knew no disease due to their technology, they were so mighty none could challenge them in war and their eventual decline into decadence took a long time. For over 50 million years there was little to feed the nascent deities whose seeds had been sown in the first galactic war. A slow trickle of power from the lesser species and what minor struggles the Eldar embroiled themselves in from time to time, but little else.

Then along comes mankind, in many ways the frailest, most fractious, most scheming, wicked, noble and cruel of all sapient life in the galaxy. Most alien species are lacking in various aspects of human nature, with limited emotions, no internal conflict or just a stunted warp connection compared to humans. Humans while few in number also had just the right mix of features that they were enough to tip 3 of the unborn gods lingering on the cusp of life into slow, gentle births, as opposed to the violent birth of Slaanesh caused by the tumultuous rush of power from the Eldar at the height of their decline.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Space Marine > Inquisitor > Imperial Assassin > Eldar > Chaos SM/Sorcerer for me.

Being a Guardsmen or Cultist just seems like a losing proposition.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 08:05:04 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

That's what makes them cool, though.
Fuck being a dark eldar, but a human cultist?  I could go for that.  But I'd rather serve the Omnissiah (or Greater Good).  And the Guard is brave as fuck, I just can't see a place for me in it.  Unless techpriest counts, I guess.
She/they

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Piss can see himself as an inquisitor or a servant of one.
Guard, ofc.
Cultist?  enh.  I dont really commit to any one philosophy well.  And unlike inquis Id question too much.
Fuck DE.  Even Skavin sounds more interesting than space DE.  and land DE is even worse.

Actually I dont really know much at all about darkelves.  Slaves and raptors.  And naked chicks.  and matriarchy.  And backstabby.
PKs DF Mod!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

Space DE don't have the matriarchy.  Wow, I guess WHF DE are just drow huh :P  Sorry, that's probably mean.
LW said it well, but basically they're Eldar who give in to Slaanesh...  But to avoid being claimed, they appease Slaanesh with sacrifices of pain and excess.

They're sadistic bitches I don't like to think about too much.
She/they

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So Im mixing my whf lore with 40k then.
Nope, because that's not the lore of Fantasy either.

In Fantasy, Chaos existed long before humanity came around. In fact, humans were just one of the races (the fourth, I believe) to be created by the Old Ones in an effort to defeat Chaos.

In 40k, the lore regarding the Chaos Gods is different. Khorne, Tzeentch, and Nurgle developed over millions of years due to the War in Heaven, gaining sentience around the time of humanity's middle ages. The two things aren't related - it's pure coincidence.
Humans, while they make good food for Chaos and have a decent Warp signature, had very small numbers back in those days and were little more than a larger-than-average drop in the ocean in regards to what created the Chaos Gods. It was the quintillions of other life forms in the galaxy that contributed almost everything to the creation of those three Chaos Gods.
Hell, even in the tens of thousands of years after they'd gained sentience, even after humanity's numbers increased to the quadrillions, the Chaos Gods were still barely active, doing nothing of note.

Then the Eldar had to fuck everything up, figuratively AND literally. They murderfucked Slaanesh into existence, she in turn sent the other Chaos Gods into a frenzy from which they have yet to come down from, and the rest is history.

Back on to the Mechanicus and what makes them so cool, just look at these pictures.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Damn those robes are swanky as hell! And look at that guy on the left, shooting a rifle with one hand and holding a sword in the other!

The machines, that wizard-looking tech priest at the front, so sweet.

My favourite picture. More badass-looking Skitarii, this time with the added bonus of a decapitated Eldar head, an Eldar getting stabbed in the torso, and in the background an Eldar getting shot in the groin.

That Warhound Titan just body-checked that Tyranid Bio-Titan!
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mechanicus do have some damn good art.

Spoiler: Dark Eldar stuff (click to show/hide)
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.
Pages: 1 ... 507 508 [509] 510 511 ... 824