Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 503 504 [505] 506 507 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 1024262 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can the Horus Heresy books basically be surmised as "Everyone is a dick"?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Nah, in fact part of the tragic nature of it is that it's the pre-grimdark world. Things are on the up and up for humanity, and is the greatest pinnacle accomplished in just 200 years since the Federation back in 20k. The Primarchs are more iffy, but amongst the actual Legions the only real dicks are the Night Lords and the World Eaters. And before Angron, the World Eaters were the War Dogs, considered among the more heroic types. The other Legions are in various places but are at worst disconnected from your average humans, and then you've got people like the Salamanders, Blood Angels, and Emperor's Children who basically act like superheros.

With the unity of the Navigator Houses and the Imperial Auxiliaries, virtually every human-held world in the galaxy is steadily improving in a new era of enlightenment and prosperity. The Orks are scattered, the Necrons are sleepy, Emps is secretly building the galactic can of bugspray to get rid of the Nids, and the Eldar are hiding for their lives.

But then...
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

There are some notable exceptions, such as the Beast, the Eldar having just collapsed and humanity recovering from the birth of Slaanesh. Also if you're a spacefaring human Empire that incorporated xenos DNA into your own DNA, or you used Artificial Intelligence, the Imperium or Mechanicus is going to order you complete annihilation. Thus if you fall into that category, the arrival of the space marine legions is the apocalypse. Otherwise 30k is a really awesome time as far as the common human is concerned. Xenos raiders are killed, chaos isn't putting its tendrils in anything too deep yet, necrons sleepy, Eldar in retreat, Tau not having evolved yet, nids haven't arrived yet, STC templates still work allowing anyone to produce anything (not to say the least, medicine) and humanity is actually capable of advancing in technology and culture.

Then everything changes when the fire nation attacks

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers

Beast is after HH.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile

Really, 90% of the reason things are so utterly shit is Because of the Eldar.
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile

I blame the Old Ones because they created both Eldar and Orks.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Nah, in fact part of the tragic nature of it is that it's the pre-grimdark world. Things are on the up and up for humanity, and is the greatest pinnacle accomplished in just 200 years since the Federation back in 20k. The Primarchs are more iffy, but amongst the actual Legions the only real dicks are the Night Lords and the World Eaters. And before Angron, the World Eaters were the War Dogs, considered among the more heroic types. The other Legions are in various places but are at worst disconnected from your average humans, and then you've got people like the Salamanders, Blood Angels, and Emperor's Children who basically act like superheros.

With the unity of the Navigator Houses and the Imperial Auxiliaries, virtually every human-held world in the galaxy is steadily improving in a new era of enlightenment and prosperity. The Orks are scattered, the Necrons are sleepy, Emps is secretly building the galactic can of bugspray to get rid of the Nids, and the Eldar are hiding for their lives.

But then...

The real cancer underlying the Great Crusade was Erebus and Kor Phaeron. Even when virtually every other legion and primarch was in lockstep with the Great Crusade, those two were dabbling in the Dark Arts and preparing to turn Horus, and eventually Lorgar.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile

Yeah, interesting how the betrayal of just 2 guys with enough charisma snowballed into nearly overturning the greatest single military endeavour likely since the War in Heaven
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Also wtf Emperor why not just let Lorgar follow his dreams and become an architect. Studies have shown forcing architects to become generals makes hitlers 100% of the time

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile

wtf dad

you never believed in me even after i made whole continents in your visage and then i am a dirty heretic teenager rebel who locked himself in his room shit-ty painting
so edgy
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

In a way, the Emperor managed the questionable feat of being both too harsh and not harsh enough regarding Lorgar. Had he been paying attention he would have known that humiliating him and his whole Legion in retaliation for the Primarch equivalent of a kindergarten drawing was just plain a bad idea, but had he really been paying attention he would have noticed that the religion of Lorgar's world was clearly proto-Chaos and virus bombed everything as soon as he showed up.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

He probably would have noticed were it not for the deal he struck with Lorgar that his world be left alone. Without all the observers that would normally have gone down and pored over the relics of the chaos religion Lorgar had overthrown it was probably all but impossible to see the taint festering in the older chunks of the society.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

It would have all been ok except for PLOT.

Really the Emperor is the biggest victim of all.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Going back to the super-charisma concept we discussed earlier in the thread, I'm just going to go ahead and believe the monumental nature of the Emperor's fuckups is what happens when someone is so overwhelmingly magnetic that they never have to learn any social skills to stop being a lonely jackass.

In fact, there are some celebrities that seem to act in that pattern, now that I think about it...
No Gods, No Masters.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

Going back to the super-charisma concept we discussed earlier in the thread, I'm just going to go ahead and believe the monumental nature of the Emperor's fuckups is what happens when someone is so overwhelmingly magnetic that they never have to learn any social skills to stop being a lonely jackass.

In fact, there are some celebrities that seem to act in that pattern, now that I think about it...
The Emperor is Kanye West is what you're saying
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 503 504 [505] 506 507 ... 824