Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 417 418 [419] 420 421 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 1022919 times)

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: You are what you eat, so eat your greens.
« Reply #6270 on: September 04, 2016, 04:25:23 am »

Links please.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6271 on: September 04, 2016, 04:36:14 am »

Moi? 'S from 'dex.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6272 on: September 04, 2016, 05:43:49 am »

Not the AP, bolters are only AP5 :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6273 on: September 04, 2016, 09:18:26 am »

... what? Last I checked we use ceramic plates right now for bulletproof vests. Nevermind forty thousand years of space magic ceramic. They're not even remotely terrible at stopping bullets.
Unless I'm misremembering, modern ceramic body armor tends to wear out fast because the plates only hold up against a couple rounds. That's why there's ceramic body armor that's actually kevlar with sleeves to hold replaceable plates rather than a ceramic carapace or something.

And the magic space ceramic in this instance isn't stopping stubber rounds, it's (trying) to stop space magic gyrojet rockets.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6274 on: September 04, 2016, 09:30:58 am »

Sure, but that's still a far sight away from terrible :P

Though yeah, inserts into the flak jackets is how you'd expect the IG to mostly use the stuff, if they did. Like said, I'm fairly sure they do use inserts in some cases, I'm just less sure if they're ceramic. Can't recall how much about the TP construction I've read in official stuff.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6275 on: September 04, 2016, 09:44:01 am »

Apparently flak armour has a lot of ceramic in it anyway.

Flak Armour is manufactured from multiple layers of ablative and shock-absorbent materials that are primarily ceramic in origin and are intended to deflect and absorb the kinetic energy of a weapons strike or blow. The armour provides little protection from a direct weapons strike, though the protection it provides is sufficient to deflect damage from shrapnel, adjacent, though not direct explosions, and ricochets. The ablative properties of its ceramic construction are also excellent at heat dispersal, thus providing a small measure of protection from glancing hits with energy weapons like Lasguns.

There are non-brittle ceramics, just not many compared to the number of brittle ones.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6276 on: September 04, 2016, 02:57:22 pm »

I was just about to chip in that I'm fairly sure the IG codex explictly states what carapace and flak armor are made from in the equipment description sections.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #6277 on: September 05, 2016, 03:21:53 am »

... what? Last I checked we use ceramic plates right now for bulletproof vests. Nevermind forty thousand years of space magic ceramic. They're not even remotely terrible at stopping bullets.
Unless I'm misremembering, modern ceramic body armor tends to wear out fast because the plates only hold up against a couple rounds. That's why there's ceramic body armor that's actually kevlar with sleeves to hold replaceable plates rather than a ceramic carapace or something.

And the magic space ceramic in this instance isn't stopping stubber rounds, it's (trying) to stop space magic gyrojet rockets.

also current personal armor is meant to keep you out of morgue, not keep you into combat longer - plates bent to withstand bullets penetration, but the impact forces are still there and you get all of it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6278 on: September 05, 2016, 03:50:06 am »

And while las doesn't deliver a lot of force, it does present some other unique issues for someone being hit.

Like being set on fire.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6279 on: September 05, 2016, 04:16:20 am »

That's why wise servants of the Emperor wear absestos.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6280 on: September 05, 2016, 06:53:54 am »

Suddenly i get the feeling that the Imperial Army losses are just like those during the Crimean War.

Most men don't die because of the Enemy...nooo. They die of the Asbestos they wear. The Radiation coming off of their guns and vehicles. The Toxic Fumes expelled by whatever chemical and high-tech shenangigans they currently use.
Then there is the horrible food, the corpse starch and lets not forget that good part of imperial warfare consists of sieges that last decades. the sanitary conditions in the trenches of vraks must be horrifying.

So you survived all of that yes? Welcome to the field hospitals, where mechanics priests continue using aged equipmetn because its from the age of whateverthefuckwhocares, old rusted engines with rusted needles and knives.

You feeling sickly yet? How about rusted Ork Choppas. Tyranid Bio-Toxins, Whatever the fuck Dark Eldar coat their weapons in. Nurglitch influence off the battlefield, HIV and ten billion other bodily fluid infectious diseases stuck to blade of a khorne berserkers axe.

And now we know that Nurgle is mightier than Khorne because the longer Khorne Whorshippers fight the greater hte chance that they transmit diseases with their weapons.

Also the fumes from a baneblade, imagine one of the exhaust pipes malfunctioning and suddenly you choke on whatever the fuck they are fueled with.

And then the residue from meltas can't be healthy either to breath that shit in. Generally the sheer amount of a million guardsmen firing their lasers ought to cause global warming. And thats before some Space Mawines decide to Lance Bombard the Planet from Orbit.

Makes one wonder why everything isnt on fire.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6281 on: September 05, 2016, 08:48:11 am »

Between Khorne and Slaanesh there are plenty of fluids to extinguish with.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6282 on: September 05, 2016, 08:50:45 am »

also current personal armor is meant to keep you out of morgue, not keep you into combat longer - plates bent to withstand bullets penetration, but the impact forces are still there and you get all of it.
I don't think most IG armor is really meant to keep troops in combat longer, either, though. That blurb even noted it, it's mostly there to deal with incidental stuff (shrapnel et al) more than direct hits, so in general less impact force and whatnot.

Usually if a guardsman takes a full on hit from something in WH40k they're not surviving (or at least not keeping all their extremities) unless they're wearing something like full on "no sir I didn't loot this off the corpse of an inquisitor" power armor.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6283 on: September 05, 2016, 08:57:30 am »

Between Khorne and Slaanesh there are plenty of fluids to extinguish with.
Nurgle got fluids too.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6284 on: September 05, 2016, 08:58:30 am »

Emperor has fluids too  :P
Pages: 1 ... 417 418 [419] 420 421 ... 824