Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 1022153 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #4170 on: May 11, 2016, 01:07:04 pm »

I always thought exactly that. It seems google fiber failed to deliver from here to the year 40000 :P
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #4171 on: May 11, 2016, 01:18:34 pm »

Basically the Tyranids are so numerous and they have a hive-mind so they talk so much that they basically use up all the extradimensional bandwidth.

Sounds to me more like they transmit and receive over so many bands that your poor ol' WiFi can't pick up anything but static from all the massed, skipping Tyranid chittering.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4172 on: May 11, 2016, 01:50:07 pm »

In more human terms, you can't hear anything over the screaming.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4173 on: May 11, 2016, 02:01:48 pm »

I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4174 on: May 11, 2016, 02:22:26 pm »

The way it's usually described in the codices and such is as thousands of claws and chittering voices prying at your mind, clawing at your soul, trying to tear into the very heart of what you are. Those of weak will who have the psychic awareness to hear and feel the Hive Mind's shadow usually bleed from the eyes and ears, haemorrhage into their brains and suffer horrendous seizures.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4175 on: May 11, 2016, 08:59:53 pm »

Hmm. has anyone ever actually been possessed by the hive mind?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4176 on: May 11, 2016, 10:09:07 pm »

Via Genestealer, sure.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4177 on: May 11, 2016, 11:30:06 pm »

The Deadly Dame plies deeper into the void...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4179 on: May 13, 2016, 12:56:34 pm »

I personally would want to see a 'nids vs crons' full scale war, seeing as the populations of all the necron tombworlds are said to be unfathomable.

Of course, were that to happen it would mean that humanity and the eldar are cowering somewhere on the fringes of the galaxy, orks have almost no lifespan beyond the fungal stage and the eye of terror has had a big fat electric fence put up around it.
I remember tech priests of one world surviving tyranid invasion by sitting in super reinforced vaults and unleashing hordes of as mechanized as possible servitors with weapons like meltas and flamers to completely deny tyranids any biomass. The hivemind decided, that this is not the game he wants to play, so hive went on search for more profitable worlds.
Quite possibly reaction of hivemind to even more metal beings then servitors  with even more awful matter desintegrating weapons will be NONONONONO and heading in other direction.

DOW 3 announced, chapter master returning from the grave, warhammer total war done by creative assembly, battlefleet gothic, eternal crusade, stellaris( it is like one of the best 4x despite being buggy and still not filled with content due to DLCMONIES paradox interactive policy, and there is already team preparing warhammer mod for it)
That is just too noblebright.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4180 on: May 13, 2016, 01:38:48 pm »

Now I'm imagining a universe where the Tyranids ran all over the Imperium, and the only surviving humans are techpriests, on account of now being tasty.

Hmm, Chaos only likes tasty souls, Tyranids only like tasty flesh, and Orks only like tasty fights. So a cyborg pacifist Tau would be pretty much immune to everything!
Oh wait, I just invented Necrons. :P

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4181 on: May 13, 2016, 01:44:34 pm »

That is the actual weakness of the Tyranids, that for all their numbers if they can't keep their biomass reserves up the entire hive fleet will fall into a cannibalistic spiral. They're only undefeatable in traditional warfare.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4182 on: May 13, 2016, 01:47:11 pm »

Makes you wonder why they don't try their (very) collective hand at farming or something.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4183 on: May 13, 2016, 01:52:17 pm »

The Second Law of Thermodynamics? The Tyranids are too efficient at digesting all matter to ever want to farm beyond tyranaforming. The real question is why they don't create 'Nid Dyson Spheres and feed off of that process.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4184 on: May 13, 2016, 01:53:52 pm »

I always thought Tyranids must be stopped in space, however it seems hive ships are truly humungus dwarfing even Gloriana class battleships, or so this picture claims:

Do we have any official source on the ship of the biggest nid ship?

However I recall that hive ships where roughly the size of a Battleship because lore Balance of course.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 01:56:28 pm by LordBaal »
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 824