Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 1022633 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #1695 on: September 15, 2015, 09:39:00 am »

What happens is that the Tau came into existence as "the hope" spot, the young, vibrant and dynamic race that would not outright rapemuder you at sight as anyone else with some kind of secrecy about where the Etherials came but that was all. It was indeed a stark contrast and felt somewhat out of place. Ever since GW has tried to make them look grimmer and more suspicious so they aren't the sore tumb of the franchise.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1696 on: September 15, 2015, 09:53:51 am »

Funilly enough, the creators of Brighthammer 40k, the Noblebright version of Wh40k universe decided to leave Tau as they were in Wh40k originally.
Needless to say, this made them the worst faction of the Galaxy. They attack everything, send aggresive diplomats, mindwash and enslave people. Their Earth Caste is pretty much slaves from birth, Air Caste is bunch of cowards that sometimes shoot stuff for no reason at all and Fire Caste is having live-fire exercises, bully other castes and sometimes act as Tau Gestapo. Ethereals are Big Brother.
Welcome to true face of Tau, which are pretty much "the hope" only because the rest of races has so much blood on their hands they don't even try to cover that up.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: September 15, 2015, 09:57:06 am »

For a (comparatively cheap) guard army filler, invest in the starter box set. It's pretty well rounded and at UK prices is essentially a free Leman Russ.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: September 15, 2015, 10:21:04 am »

I just wanted to respond to this balant Tauaboo but then I realized someone already did. While this isin't exactly as I would put things and some of them could be explained better (The Marines that eat brains is old lore, IIRC, (apart from those ones that just eat them for keks) they do it to acquire the memories and knowledge of person that brain belonged to. Yeah, you can clearly see Rogue Trader vibes here, so I'm pretty sure it might not be canon anymore...), but you're doing the Emperor's work anyway.

Brain eating is still canon, it features in a couple of Black Library books and is mentioned in vague fashion in the RPGs and so on.

For example, there's a scene in Siege of Castellax where a squad of Iron Warriors have to decide who's has to eat an Orks brain so he can fly one of their planes. It's actually more than a little funny in a dark way.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1699 on: September 15, 2015, 10:32:03 am »

The Flesh Tearers chapter and the Blood Drinkers chapter both also enjoy tearing flesh and drinking blood respectively

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: September 15, 2015, 10:37:35 am »

Wait, it's Iron Warriors who do that? I thought it was the soul drinkers.
And then they're all crazy excommunicated and killed to a man.

-- I will defend Flesh Tearers to the end. Don't go down that route, Gabriel Seth is one of my favorite characters.
I mean, he knows his chapter causes abundant friendly casualties, so he only drops them places where there's no friendlies to kill.
Just 'cos they Rip and Tear doesn't mean they're gonna go Khorne. Probably less likely, even, 'cos their berserk rage is fueled by Sanguinius's memories.
I don't know what we were talking about but Flesh Tearers are bros, who also don't eat people.

For a (comparatively cheap) guard army filler, invest in the starter box set. It's pretty well rounded and at UK prices is essentially a free Leman Russ.
There's a box for a massive cashnumber which is 3 russes, hydra, manticore, 2 squads guard, 1 plat cmd sq, 2 rando fortifications, 2 HWSquads and probably something else I forgot.
It's crazy pricey but also probably the cheapest 'in'.
So yeah, I'm rather annoyed that I didn't get it. Hilariously because I was looking at getting it earlier and went 'I don't want 2/5ths of this box'.
Only now am I realizing I wanted 1/5th of that box. I mean, the fortifications were expensive and unnecessary, but I've only just realized I'm 20 troopers away from the magic number 70.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: September 15, 2015, 10:38:37 am »

I remember reading somewhere that the Emperor's Children (post heresy) don't shy away from (some form of) cannibalism, but they're Slaanesh worshippers, so, eh.

On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: September 15, 2015, 09:58:58 pm »

So I was reading about the Taros Campaign, and was once more smacked in the face with GW's idea of scale. Somehow they manage to make Hive Worlds somewhat reasonable in terms of population (ridiculous nonetheless, but conceivably ridiculous), but then...ugh.

10,000 casualties on Imperial side... barely 9000 fire warriors...in a fight over a planet, and what's more, involving the Imperial Guard. I guess it resembles real warfare to some extent in the sense that it was more about maneuvering than sheer attrition like so many other fights the Guard get into, but....urrrrgh. It's on the level of Space Marine Landing Vehicles and Land Raider official armor thickness bad. Only 8,000 traitor guard/tau-sympathetic rebels on a planet that size? Multiply it all by ten and it would be halfway reasonable. By fifty or a hundred and it would resemble the sort of war I'd expect to take place over a planet as seemingly valuable as Taros. Blaaagh. Whatever.

EDIT: Eh, if it's only twelve million people, I suppose the numbers would be more reasonable with only a x10 scaling. *shrug*
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 10:19:40 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: September 15, 2015, 11:21:26 pm »

don't you know planets are basically cities

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: September 16, 2015, 01:49:58 am »

I thought each hive city just kept to itself and really didn't care about the invasions/cultist uprisings that any other city had to deal with.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: September 16, 2015, 06:20:51 am »

I thought each hive city just kept to itself and really didn't care about the invasions/cultist uprisings that any other city had to deal with.

Necropolis by Dan Abnett shows where this is not the case. They can trade and go to war with each other too.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: September 16, 2015, 07:07:48 am »

On Taros I don't recall properly (even when I recently read the book again). But if I recall correctly the thing was that they couldn't bring enough troops, and lost at least an entire regiment on space to the new Tau ships. Also they didn't knew how much Tau troops where there, and I think the 9K number was of Tau alone, plus a few thousands of miner gangs and whatnot.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1707 on: September 16, 2015, 09:01:44 am »

On Taros I don't recall properly (even when I recently read the book again). But if I recall correctly the thing was that they couldn't bring enough troops, and lost at least an entire regiment on space to the new Tau ships. Also they didn't knew how much Tau troops where there, and I think the 9K number was of Tau alone, plus a few thousands of miner gangs and whatnot.
It's still horrendously low.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: September 16, 2015, 09:52:28 am »

Necropolis by Dan Abnett shows where this is not the case. They can trade and go to war with each other too.
Necropolis kind of exactly proves my point. In how one Hive city had chaos completely spread throughout it, and the other Hive city didn't even know until they were attacked.
Ergo, an invading army/cult would just need to take the planet one Hive city at a time- heck, even one hab block at a time.

I mean, it's a stretch, but I'd like to find a better explanation for how such weak battles are going down.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1709 on: September 16, 2015, 09:57:25 am »

I mean, it's a stretch, but I'd like to find a better explanation for how such weak battles are going down.
Imperial propaganda. We have lost 90000000000000000000000 people, we can say it was 10 but then the enemy numbers will be off. Also, we might want to make them look weak.
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 824