Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 466 467 [468] 469 470 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1249552 times)

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 230 March of Machine begins
« Reply #7005 on: March 16, 2017, 07:21:21 pm »

Turn 231

Move southeast one tile, and form 3 essences.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cuberac ventured closer to the edge of the island, walking over a desert of sand and tiny pebbles. The air here was warm, but not particularly dry. The edge of the world was invisible but there were flickers just at the edge of sight that gave it away.

Huh. Leafy hair, flexibly resilient limbs, sandy tan skin... Well, I suppose now I'm a banyan tree. Now, to business!

Enter the mushroomy hex and start wandering around in search of treasures and whatnot. 3 essences.

Chorkinaan ventured into the mushroom forest and began looking around for anything of interest. There were many curious things, of course, but none seemed useful enough to qualify as interesting. None until Chorkinaan found what appeared to be a tree sized amanita, literally oozing poison. There was enough of it here to poison an entire lake!

Doktor Diabolical:

"Phase one... complete. Now to phase two. Hold on. Hey you! Mage to the north! Give me some bloody space if you don't want to get on my bad side!"

If the mage to the north(Cuberac) moves away from Doktor Diabolical, Doktor Diabolical hmphs, having the snowmaker bot sacrifice itself and the cubebots toss the spare parts pile to the factory, then having the factory process the parts into a shoveler bot. While this is occurring, Doktor Diabolical makes 3 essences.

If the mage to the north doesn't move away... Doktor Diabolical gets serious, sacrificing the snowmaker bot, cubebots, small parts pile, and bicycle into the factory to produce a (likely low quality) suit of power armor which he then puts on. If he has time after that, he makes 3 essences in preparation for the fight.

Doktor tracked the mage carefully as he moved. The mystery mage moved, not really as much away as to the side, but this did open a clear way out for Doktor, so he was going to count this as moving away. Factory consumed the now no longer required snowmaker and the strange cubebots for parts and began churning. Some time later, it deployed a bot with an oversized fist and a weak freezing ray for weakening stone.

Summon a glass mortar and pestle, and use it to grind up the alchemical plants with enough of the fluid luck in the vial of luck siphoning to make a thin paste.
Then, use that mixture to inscribe a ritual circle on the floor.
Lastly, summon a small, shallow glass dish and pour the rest of the luck into it. Set it at one of the sacrificial points in the circle.

Gambler conjured up a mortar and pestle of glass and prepared a mixture of pure luck and alchemical herbs. With this, he marked out a ritual circle for several mages to work together. It glowed faintly due to naturally higher amount of magic in the Tower flowing through it. A glass to create a brazier of luck did not go as well. It appeared as a mishapen and sharp shard of glass in Gambler's hand, cutting through skin and into the flesh. The tower would heal this, but gambler understandably dropped the shard in response to pain and it shattered when it fell.

Ah, I see you're almost prepared for the ritual.
3 essences

Skeliborn continued gathering power.

Is there any mud left?

if yes: continue with previous action
push the mud on the top floor down the hole with my shovel, checking for anything in the mud while doing this (not dropping anything other than mud in the hole is more important that sweeping mud into the hole)
if no: go down the ladder and search the other rooms

Seva continued clearing mud off the floor of the one clearly important room and the mud continued to resist him. It resisted him enough that a particularly rigorous push saw the shovel flying out of his hands and falling through the hatch to the floor below. Well, at least it wasn't going to sink.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 07:25:45 pm by DreamerGhost »
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 231 The fun is just around the corner
« Reply #7006 on: March 16, 2017, 07:23:00 pm »

I have been doing some other writing today, and don't feel like doing more. PM's come tomorrow.

2 Turns until Mage induced calamity.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7007 on: March 16, 2017, 07:50:55 pm »

2 Turns until Mage induced calamity.
Uh...
~~~
Doktor Diabolical:

"Bah. Still don't trust you."

Doktor Diabolical moves south west, bringing his bots with him. Paranoia ho! Once that's done, he has mining freeze fist bot get to work extracting stone to be fed to the mobile factory for making more mining bots. And he makes 3 essences.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

ironsnake345

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOMAIN:REFERENCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7008 on: March 17, 2017, 10:44:27 am »

Oh-ho! More hallucinogenic flora? But this one's much more toxic than those flowers... Speaking of those flowers, I think I have an idea.

Cast an aura-style spell (like the one which kept the pollen weighted down as it continued flowing into the area I was making safe) to alter the oozing poison to gravitate towards one specific point, that point being about a meter up from the ground in a clear spot near the giant amanita. essences used: 5 +1 cmp, 5 +1 pot. (to ensure success, and because time isn't a huge issue here.)

If this succeeds, observe the resultant floating ball of poison. Determine what size of bottle (or similar container) would be needed to store it, then zap a simple physicality-sensing spell through it (range, -1) most specifically to determine how heavy the entire mass is. (or will be after a bit more poison flows into it.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 01:15:39 am by ironsnake345 »
I think I just retroactively murdered a less lucky version of myself from a parallel universe. Also do I still have a baguette?
Are my memes dank enough for you?
Thanks to the internet-cromancer, my internet has been revived. I'm back, baby!

Zormod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7009 on: March 17, 2017, 03:26:08 pm »

Attempt to fine-tune the mobility enchantment on my newest swarm.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7010 on: March 17, 2017, 11:56:40 pm »

Viznor walks into the council room, using the walls as a door in his usual fashion. His demeanour is rather grim as he activates the system of screens created before the last council.

Call the council.

"Greetings, mages of platypus island. We have little time, and so I will cut directly to the heart of the matter.

The calamity you may have sensed is, in fact, approaching. My research has indicated that it will come from the flaming portal, and most likely in the form of a volcanic eruption.

Everyone and everything in the vicinity may be threatened, the Tower included. However, I do not have the resources or capabilities to close the portal or adequately control the damage. Thus, I must request your aid.

My power over bindings would suffice as the heart of a spell, but the raw power provided by a collection of mages is essential."

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7011 on: March 18, 2017, 12:19:11 am »

Help with the disaster-averting however I can.  In fact, let's see if we can just...clean up the portal, or set a contingency spell that cleans up magma/lava around that tree...As in, I want to know if it's feasible, and then if it's feasible we can go from there.

Does the cleaning spell send the detritus somewhere in particular?

Set up a standing action that if I don't do anything else, I'll make three essences.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 12:37:25 am by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

ironsnake345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7012 on: March 18, 2017, 01:17:25 am »

Oh dear... I suppose if I am to remain allies with my allies, I should help. Deadly poison can wait.

Mentally bookmark the location of the giant, poison-oozing mushroom. March for the tower, double time!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 08:31:03 pm by ironsnake345 »
I think I just retroactively murdered a less lucky version of myself from a parallel universe. Also do I still have a baguette?

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7013 on: March 18, 2017, 07:45:31 pm »

If I may suggest an alternate approach to solving this problem.

I would like to say flat out that given the magnitude of calamities within this tournament in the past, I don't think that we have enough time to bind the portal shut, not even as a group of full fledged mages.

At least not directly.

With that I would like to make use of a discovery I accidentally made during the fight against the Bigholder.
Portals can be used as shields.

My proposition is this, we create a portal to seal away the fire rift up in so that all the fire from the calamity gets piped into a different world instead of this one. This spell once put into place can be modified so that the portal slowly shrinks until it fully eats the fire rift.

Alternatively, we could add an aura around the tower to protect it and its occupants from the fire rift, possibly even using a watershield to do the job.

3 essences
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 07:48:51 pm by star2wars3 »
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

ironsnake345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7014 on: March 18, 2017, 08:33:49 pm »

By that note, my friend, I am capable of using my magic to alter the specific heat of... anything material, really. I could protect the tower area at least partially from heat by casting a powerful enough spell to raise the specific heat of the nearby air, but if other methods are used to shield from the harmful burst of the portal, I am glad to offer heat resistance to whatever needs it.

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7015 on: March 19, 2017, 10:07:39 am »

"Though my affinities are perhaps suboptimal for stopping a calamity directly, I can reduce the chances of the ritual or result going wrong."
Head to the (larger) ritual location and...
If the ritual begins this turn,
    Contribute power (using a +1/+1 essence for stability), aiming to decrease the chance that the ritual goes poorly and the chance that harm comes to the tower or the people within.
Otherwise,
    create 2 essences and summon a small glass shield.
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7016 on: March 19, 2017, 10:12:06 pm »

"Spoiler: Mobile Factory (click to show/hide)
-Can process raw materials into parts and parts into bots.
-All terrain threads, good for anything except climbing sheer walls."

Dem doom factories gotta be stylish, yo.

Viznor walks into the council room, using the walls as a door in his usual fashion. His demeanour is rather grim as he activates the system of screens created before the last council.

Call the council.

"Greetings, mages of platypus island. We have little time, and so I will cut directly to the heart of the matter.

The calamity you may have sensed is, in fact, approaching. My research has indicated that it will come from the flaming portal, and most likely in the form of a volcanic eruption.

Everyone and everything in the vicinity may be threatened, the Tower included. However, I do not have the resources or capabilities to close the portal or adequately control the damage. Thus, I must request your aid.

My power over bindings would suffice as the heart of a spell, but the raw power provided by a collection of mages is essential."

This wouldn't happen to be my fire portal, would it?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7017 on: March 19, 2017, 11:03:55 pm »

((Considering you don't own a fire portal, ATHATH, especially one that you had no part in the creation of, I'm going to say no, it isn't yours on the basis of not being able to own an interplanar gate. But I dunno, maybe someone other than you would disagree.))

"If it's the Tower that the rest of you wish to protect, I believe I would be the best choice to lead the spell. If you want to close the portal for good, I believe I would also be capable of weaving the efforts from you all into a cohesive spell that could accomplish that. Not to diminish the benefit of Viznor's affinity, but I find that such endeavors tend to benefit from an experienced aether mage. I or Magus N.A. would be able to take care of the coordination of the spell."
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 11:21:12 pm by Beirus »
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7018 on: March 20, 2017, 09:55:59 am »

If I may suggest an alternate approach to solving this problem.

I would like to say flat out that given the magnitude of calamities within this tournament in the past, I don't think that we have enough time to bind the portal shut, not even as a group of full fledged mages.

At least not directly.

With that I would like to make use of a discovery I accidentally made during the fight against the Bigholder.
Portals can be used as shields.

My proposition is this, we create a portal to seal away the fire rift up in so that all the fire from the calamity gets piped into a different world instead of this one. This spell once put into place can be modified so that the portal slowly shrinks until it fully eats the fire rift.

Alternatively, we could add an aura around the tower to protect it and its occupants from the fire rift, possibly even using a watershield to do the job.

3 essences

"I happen to have researched stable portals. It is a good idea, but such a large gateway is most likely impractical due to the sheer amount of power required. Shielding the tower is also viable, but could potentially leave it surrounded by lava. As such, I believe that working directly at the portal is still our best option.

Sealing is what I had in mind, but some other way to stop or eliminate the lava itself would also be effective."

By that note, my friend, I am capable of using my magic to alter the specific heat of... anything material, really. I could protect the tower area at least partially from heat by casting a powerful enough spell to raise the specific heat of the nearby air, but if other methods are used to shield from the harmful burst of the portal, I am glad to offer heat resistance to whatever needs it.

"Would it be possible to make the magma extremely condensed, heavy and viscous, so that it simply does not move beyond the immediate vicinity of the portal? Such a solution prevents spread altogether, and would interact quite well with binding.

"Though my affinities are perhaps suboptimal for stopping a calamity directly, I can reduce the chances of the ritual or result going wrong."
Head to the (larger) ritual location and...
If the ritual begins this turn,
    Contribute power (using a +1/+1 essence for stability), aiming to decrease the chance that the ritual goes poorly and the chance that harm comes to the tower or the people within.
Otherwise,
    create 2 essences and summon a small glass shield.

"More power is always better, and I thank you for your assistance. In any case, it seems that we must begin [next turn], as mages are still preparing and positioning themselves.

((Considering you don't own a fire portal, ATHATH, especially one that you had no part in the creation of, I'm going to say no, it isn't yours on the basis of not being able to own an interplanar gate. But I dunno, maybe someone other than you would disagree.))

"If it's the Tower that the rest of you wish to protect, I believe I would be the best choice to lead the spell. If you want to close the portal for good, I believe I would also be capable of weaving the efforts from you all into a cohesive spell that could accomplish that. Not to diminish the benefit of Viznor's affinity, but I find that such endeavors tend to benefit from an experienced aether mage. I or Magus N.A. would be able to take care of the coordination of the spell."

"With all due respect, you are not in a very good position to coordinate a spell on the island, and Magus may not want to deal with the details involved in magic of this magnitude. Given that I am also capable of detecting subterfuge, I believe it would be best for me to compose the spell- albeit with the possibility of reliance upon Aether magic. None of us wish to repeat the Dwen incident with magma in place of acid."

ironsnake345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7019 on: March 20, 2017, 11:03:26 am »

Dwen incident? Acid? Oh no, don't tell me Dwen came here and died in some magical mishap! That guy was my favorite drinking buddy!

Anyway, yes, I am more than capable of immobilizing the lava.
Pages: 1 ... 466 467 [468] 469 470 ... 506