Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 351 352 [353] 354 355 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1246159 times)

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to magic
« Reply #5280 on: May 21, 2016, 10:56:28 pm »

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)
Magic, as in Arcane?
...Or something like magical nature?
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 160 New players and Sucessful rituals
« Reply #5281 on: May 22, 2016, 01:36:45 am »

That's actually not at all complicated.

But essences are confusing...

Keep in mind that the broader your affinity is, the weaker it will be. Someone with the Cactus affinity would have much more control over cacti than someone with the Plant affinity would (unless the Plant affinity guy had a lot of shards). This isn't reflected with a direct bonus, by the way.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5282 on: May 22, 2016, 02:54:20 am »

Essences are simply stored roll bonuses. Creation of essence is a spell, and depending your rolls you get single essence out of it, usually one that gives +1 to both competence and potency rolls. You use those essences whenever you think your spell needs boost.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

ironsnake345

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOMAIN:REFERENCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5283 on: May 22, 2016, 03:18:12 am »

((Ok, so, let me explain how essences work.
During any turn (which is not a combat turn, I'm pretty sure that's a rule) you can create essences as an action. Creating an essence is basically casting a spell, albeit one with no real effect. This makes essence creation much less risky than spells which can backfire and have you immolate yourself by accident, as the worst that happens when an essence backfires is that some random event related to your aspect happens nearby. It is for this reason that most people create multiple essences in one turn, despite the fact that one essence = one spell cast, and multiple spells per turn carries a penalty: -1 cmp roll and -1 pot roll for each spell previously cast.

Now that the mechanics are out of the way, here's the point: an essence is a non-physical pattern of magic in your thoughts; basically a pre-charged spell which has yet to be given an effect and then cast. Maybe that's a bad analogy. Anyway, when you're casting a spell, you can choose to use essences from your essence inventory (basically infinite space since essences are not physical; visible in your character's block on the charsheet) and their bonuses will be added to the rolls made when determining how well your spell went. In the case of essences which have multiple bonuses, the listed bonuses are ordered competency first, potency second. Warning, though: essences take time to infuse into your spell, and each essence used will decrease dexterity rolls made to dodge by 0.5, and will decrease the speed roll to act first by 1. This absolutely stacks.
Oh, and, there's a limit of 5 essences per spell.

How an essence's power is determined, as my understanding goes, is what roll the essence creation spell succeeds with. For each spell, two dice are rolled: one for competency, which can only be enhanced by special means, and one for potency, which is a character stat. If the essence creation spell succeeds on competency it gains a cmp bonus, and the same goes for the potency roll. However, in the event of an overshot success (rolling a 6) something goes a bit wrong. Cmp overshots lead to pot penalties in the essence, and pot overshots turn the essence chaotic, meaning DG gets to screw with you when you cast a spell using the essence. (I.E. something random happens. DG does not actually screw with people all that much)

Now that I've gone over that in immaculate detail, the tl;dr version. When it's not a slugfest, you can cast a spell to make an essence. You can cast all the spells you want in a single turn, one essence per spell, but each extra spell has a -1/-1 which stacks. You can hold as many essences as you damn well want and pour up to five into one spell, which adds their bonuses to the spell's rolls. Each essence has a -0.5 to dodging and a -1 to going first when used in a slugfest. What bonuses an essence gets depends on how well you roll when you cast the spell to make it, but overshooting makes it get all funky. If the creation spell fails, your power seeps into the nearby area and does something.))

((Don't let the ol' wall of text fool you, it's actually pretty simple. If you've got any questions, ask away, I'm happy to help.))

((Also, there are more creative ways to make a nondescript character. Here, let me copy-paste one of my backup characters' descriptions.))
Spoiler: old character sheet (click to show/hide)
I think I just retroactively murdered a less lucky version of myself from a parallel universe. Also do I still have a baguette?
Are my memes dank enough for you?
Thanks to the internet-cromancer, my internet has been revived. I'm back, baby!

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5284 on: May 22, 2016, 04:43:16 am »

((Ok, so, let me explain how essences work.
During any turn (which is not a combat turn, I'm pretty sure that's a rule) you can create essences as an action. Creating an essence is basically casting a spell, albeit one with no real effect. This makes essence creation much less risky than spells which can backfire and have you immolate yourself by accident, as the worst that happens when an essence backfires is that some random event related to your aspect happens nearby. It is for this reason that most people create multiple essences in one turn, despite the fact that one essence = one spell cast, and multiple spells per turn carries a penalty: -1 cmp roll and -1 pot roll for each spell previously cast.

You can create essences durning combat, but chances are you'll be bussy trying to melt other guys head.
Now that the mechanics are out of the way, here's the point: an essence is a non-physical pattern of magic in your thoughts; basically a pre-charged spell which has yet to be given an effect and then cast. Maybe that's a bad analogy. Anyway, when you're casting a spell, you can choose to use essences from your essence inventory (basically infinite space since essences are not physical; visible in your character's block on the charsheet) and their bonuses will be added to the rolls made when determining how well your spell went. In the case of essences which have multiple bonuses, the listed bonuses are ordered competency first, potency second. Warning, though: essences take time to infuse into your spell, and each essence used will decrease dexterity rolls made to dodge by 0.5, and will decrease the speed roll to act first by 1. This absolutely stacks.
Oh, and, there's a limit of 5 essences per spell.

Actually, there is a limit of +5/+5 per spell, the number of essences is unlimited.
How an essence's power is determined, as my understanding goes, is what roll the essence creation spell succeeds with. For each spell, two dice are rolled: one for competency, which can only be enhanced by special means, and one for potency, which is a character stat. If the essence creation spell succeeds on competency it gains a cmp bonus, and the same goes for the potency roll. However, in the event of an overshot success (rolling a 6) something goes a bit wrong. Cmp overshots lead to pot penalties in the essence, and pot overshots turn the essence chaotic, meaning DG gets to screw with you when you cast a spell using the essence. (I.E. something random happens. DG does not actually screw with people all that much)

CMP overshots make essences Chaotic. POT overshots do nothing. POT undershots also do nothing much, while CMP fails cause spell to go haywire.

Magic is too broad. It would allow you to do anything, but the malus for anything in particular would make you only able of injuring yourself. If you still want to try, think up three spells that you'd be able to do with the afinity. It saves suicides if people know what they'll be able to do before geting into the game.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5285 on: May 22, 2016, 07:10:15 am »

"And stay out!"

Feed all +1/+1 chaotic essences to tome. +3 essences, as usual.

{You have no chaotic +1/+1 essences. Only +2/+1 and +2/+2.}
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5286 on: May 22, 2016, 07:13:05 am »

((Reflecting magic, copying magic, dispelling magic.  And metamagic and stuff.))
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5287 on: May 22, 2016, 07:14:50 am »

((Reflecting magic, copying magic, dispelling magic.  And metamagic and stuff.))

((Thats pretty much what Jase/Beirus does with his Aether afinity.))

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5288 on: May 22, 2016, 07:16:56 am »

((*shrug?*))
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5289 on: May 22, 2016, 07:27:09 am »

((*shrug?*))

((What I'm saying is that if you want to do all that stuff you should take Aether afinity. It will make what you can and can't do clearer to everyone. Also, you'll be able to look through what has allready been done with it if you run out of ideas.))

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5290 on: May 22, 2016, 07:34:27 am »

((Ah.  Edited.))
Sigtext

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5291 on: May 22, 2016, 10:09:12 am »

((Ah.  Edited.))
((Also, you can take an action the turn that you enter the game. I would recommend making essences (and possibly moving)))
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5292 on: May 22, 2016, 11:10:40 am »

Well, arrive, make three Essences, and get away from things that might be trying to kill me.
Sigtext

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5293 on: May 22, 2016, 11:17:04 am »

Well, arrive, make three Essences, and get away from things that might be trying to kill me.

((Might I suggest essence roulette? It's the perfect time, since the gate protects you from harm.

Essence roulette is making essences until one fails. That triggers a luck roll, and you get an effect depending on the roll and your affinity. Good luck gets you fun stuff, bad luck usually results in some sort of injury, which the gate should protect  against rather easily.))

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5294 on: May 22, 2016, 11:18:16 am »

Feed it three +2/+1 chaotic curse essences, then. Put on all three rings, and then conjure up five more essences, stopping early if something unpleasant happens.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 12:55:39 pm by Elephant Parade »
Pages: 1 ... 351 352 [353] 354 355 ... 506