Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: A question about the clothing industry  (Read 5899 times)

falcn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A question about the clothing industry
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2014, 09:40:52 am »

I have 220 beards right now and my only exports are dirty socks and old pants.

This is wrong, and not fun.

I want to disable wear because it is game-killing feature as it is now.
Any good ways to do it besides getting everyone into civil squads?

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2014, 09:55:53 am »

What comes to mind for me is the idea that you could add [HARD_MAT] to the raws for clothes and make simple metal clothing instead of armor.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2014, 01:11:52 pm »

Won't help - afaik you need to mod quite substantially to generate non-wearing civilian clothes.

Everything that isn't "ARMOR" wears out when worn by dwarfs, regardless of material. And everything that is "ARMOR" will not be worn as civilian attire.

Yes, "all non-armour wears out" includes metal clothing - adamantine socks, iron masks, doesn't matter, they all wear out over time.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2014, 01:53:48 pm »

I think copper is one of the better metals for civilian uniforms. Exceptions will always have to be made for woodcutters and miners, because of that annoying uniform glitch/conflict. Evading clothing issues is very very helpful, though, since automating the entire clothing process isn't really very practical.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2014, 02:01:13 pm »

Cat leather boots, cat bone leggings, cat leather armor and cat bone helms. Might do cat bone gauntlets if there is a surplus of input materials available. Give them cat bone crossbows and cat leather quivers and you have solved both your defense and nudity problems.

(Geese might be the best input animals to embark with. I started with 30 geese once, solved my food problems and military problems simultaneously. Each year a clutch matures to clothe the new migrants.)
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2014, 06:36:32 pm »

My last caravan rolled away (months late) with over a half-million dwarfbucks in junk clothing. Even with fast-trade enabled it took 4000 repetitive keypresses just to dispose of the dreck. At this point I spend more time dealing with worn clothing than playing the game, and I agree that is distinctly not fun.

Legionaries

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2014, 10:26:22 pm »

Loci - what you describe is what I'm afraid of and why I started this thread.  I've run into that myself for clothes, booze and food so I started using workflow.

I think that because of all the tattered clothing some people only provide the minimum clothing and use armor as much as possible.
Since the discussion has now mentioned modding (and I have never modded raws - I only now just added the fortress defense mod recently to PeridexisErrant's Dwarf Fortress Starter pack) I had a thought:

Is it possible to mod anything within the stockpiles configuration?  Example:  The animal stockpile as an empty cage option you can enable/disable.  The food stockpile as the prepared meals option.
If you could make a tattered clothing stockpile - you could use other existing mod functionality to autotrade that stockpile when vendors arrive.

If you can't modify stockpiles to only accept tattered clothing -  Does the tattered status alter the either the core or total quality status?  In theory, if I set a finished goods stockpile to only accept clothing of the very worst quality can I get all the tattered stuff into it?  Or, does a tattered masterwork sock remain masterwork even after it is tattered?

falcn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2014, 02:02:11 am »

My last caravan rolled away (months late) with over a half-million dwarfbucks in junk clothing. Even with fast-trade enabled it took 4000 repetitive keypresses just to dispose of the dreck. At this point I spend more time dealing with worn clothing than playing the game, and I agree that is distinctly not fun.
Well, the key presses count could be shortened with dfhack: all you really need to do is "stocks show", then  use Shift-E to enable all, then Ctrl-I and Ctrl-O to remove owned items from view, then Shift-W to leave only weared items (clothing), then Shift-A to apply to all listed, then Shift-F and Shift-D repeatedly to remove any 'dump' and 'forbid' flags from items (if any), and, finally, Shift-T to bring them all to depot.
Once clothing are there, you can use Shift-m on the trade screen to mark it all for trade.
Done
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 03:18:52 pm by falcn »

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2014, 02:14:57 am »

As long as this thread is on top anyway, does anybody know actually how long it takes for clothes to wear out? I'm trying to calculate how many farm tiles each dwarf will need in a mod, and clothing is a part of that calculation, but I can't find it anywhere, and I keep getting sidetracked when I try to test it.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2014, 02:46:21 am »

Dwarfs try to exchange their clothes the moment they reach xclothesx status, which takes just under two years. Thus, you need to provide roughly half your civilian headcount in new clothes every year. Yes, in sizable forts this can mean over a hundred _full sets of clothing_, which consist of fourteen items each if you want to provide everything; 1500 new clothing items to be made and 1500 old items to get rid of every year. Fun!

(clothing takes roughly two years for each level of wear - xclothesx after two years, XclothesX after four, XXclothesXX after five and a half, gone after seven and a half. Somewhat shorter if you're dealing with ‼clothes‼. But as i said, dwarfs will start looking for new stuff the moment xclothesx are reached, so stretching the supply isn't really feasible - the idlers will hog all new clothes and the workers will end up in tatters.)

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2014, 02:54:41 am »

so stretching the supply isn't really feasible - the idlers will hog all new clothes and the workers will end up in tatters.
Do they not switch xxclothesxx for xclothesx ?

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2014, 04:06:59 am »

Sometimes, but not very reliably. Since dwarfs tend to hoard their old clothes in owned rooms, many of the xclothesx are not even available to those running around in rags. And the constant wear-checking and item swapping tends to be quite bad for FPS and fort productivity. To be on the safe side, you need 1/2 your civilian headcount in fresh clothes each year. You can get away with less, but i wouldn't recommend going much below 1/3.

falcn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2014, 04:58:33 am »

Cat leather boots, cat bone leggings, cat leather armor and cat bone helms. Might do cat bone gauntlets if there is a surplus of input materials available. Give them cat bone crossbows and cat leather quivers and you have solved both your defense and nudity problems.

(Geese might be the best input animals to embark with. I started with 30 geese once, solved my food problems and military problems simultaneously. Each year a clutch matures to clothe the new migrants.)
You can't use bone armor in the uniform.
I ended up with an armor, helm, leggins and low boots - all leather.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2014, 12:56:16 pm »

I want to disable wear because it is game-killing feature as it is now.
Any good ways to do it besides getting everyone into civil squads?
dfhack - removewear script. Should be possible to run it with the new repeat command in dfhack-r5, so automation is possible.

As for getting rid of worn clothes: I don't export it any more, because it's tedious, and too gamey. I just chain my (workflow aided) cloth industry by linking the stockpiles to the workshops, so every new finished item lands in a stockpile that only takes from links. All the other clothes (from sieges and worn) go to the refuse piles where they decay in a month or so. If needed you can still run "cleanowned scattered x" to get rid of claimed garbage. This is pretty straightforward to set up, and needs little micromanagement.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2014, 01:02:05 pm »

You should be able to assign bone armor as individual pieces they are instructed to wear, yes?

Pages: 1 [2] 3