Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Give me suggestions for a challenge  (Read 2036 times)

Slyjoker87

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Give me suggestions for a challenge
« on: June 16, 2014, 09:55:04 am »

I'm starting a new fort, and I want to add some arbitrary constraints to make it more challenging. So far I have the following:

1. Walling off is prohibited. This means that I can't create a trap maze to pwn sieges. Instead, I can only have well positioned squads and fortifications. Traps will be allowed as long as they aren't part of a maze.

2. I will name the first 7 dwarves. I will also name their spouses and kin. If at any time there are no named dwarves remaining alive the game is lost.

3. Population cap at 100.

4. At least 1 named dwarf must be in the military as soon as possible.

5. I have to build extravagant rooms and tombs for all named dwarves.

What else?

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Give me suggestions for a challenge
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 10:08:47 am »

Don't build in soil layers.

Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 10:21:25 am »

Expand on Rule Number 4 by making it so every military unit HAS to have a commander from one of the First Families (a named Dwarf). 

In fact, maybe make it rule that all positions that you have control over, Broker, Bookkeeper, so on, are always fulfilled by a named Dwarf.

Keep the power within the First Families!

:D
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Slyjoker87

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 10:50:16 am »

Don't build in soil layers.

So I suppose that would mean farming on the surface or in the caves?

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 10:53:31 am »

I don't think so. I think it means if you want to farm you have to irrigate.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

Slyjoker87

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 11:03:42 am »

I don't think so. I think it means if you want to farm you have to irrigate.

Oh, so the old create a pit and toss water till it becomes muddy trick?

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 11:19:47 am »

That is how it reads to me, however, not being able to farm would provide additional challenge
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 12:59:10 pm »

No use of draw bridges, although this may be partially covered under no walling off already since the draw bridge is probably the single cheapest and cheesiest exploit in the game.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 01:02:11 pm »

Pop in Fortress Defense II. All it adds is more monsters to show up and own you, including a zergy thing?

You could even relax your trap rule, some of them have TRAPAVOID

Flarp

• Bay Watcher
  • and tearing apart the self-esteem!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 01:58:07 pm »

The best challenge is usually the strictest possible interpretation of your random fortress name.

So, like, in Grassquested, your economy should be built primarily on grazing animals (good luck), while in Fierytongs, you should focus on producing metal crafts in a magma forge. Etc.
He views any show of emotion as offensive, sees introspection as important, values self-control, and strongly believes that a peaceful and ordered society without dissent would be best. He believes that mastery of a skill is one of the highest pursuits, values nature, and finds romance distasteful. He holds well-laid plans and shrewd deceptions in the highest regard.

Kreydurst

• Bay Watcher
  • Is insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 03:25:38 pm »

Have 6 (or 7) people create a dwarf. Must be specific in skills. All with their own restrictions. I.E. Spear dwarf will only use steel and will not do any other job then being a spear dwarf.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2014, 07:06:06 pm »

Is it possible to survive without (b)uilding anything? If it is possible, that could be a challenge.

EDIT: Slab and coffin should be allowed, as well as mason's and craftsdwarfs workshop.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 12:31:58 am by §k »
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2014, 07:10:34 pm »

The best challenge is usually the strictest possible interpretation of your random fortress name.

So, like, in Grassquested, your economy should be built primarily on grazing animals (good luck), while in Fierytongs, you should focus on producing metal crafts in a magma forge. Etc.

This is my favorite.  Don't check on it during your careful preparations, just wait for the embark story to learn what the name is.

Then do your best.  I've done this a few times, and always ended up with fun and unexpected fort designs.  One was themed on a giant green-room with tons of farming, another was a huge mausoleum (poor migrants). 

Would not have thought of either of those things without random and unexpected names.

Bwint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2014, 10:33:50 pm »

Spartan challenge: 40% of your population should be full-time military. For added fun, equip only with bronze and leather.

Embark with minimal resources, such as a pick alone, or only anvil, stone and ore.
'There are some things mortals are not meant to know, but we were bored and drunk at the time so we gecided to leave details of those forbidden arts in the library for a laugh.'

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2014, 05:42:25 am »

Your dining hall should be your only meeting hall and should be no more than 3x3, in order to foster close friendships and marriages.
Pages: [1] 2