Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How does Gem setting work correctly? Gem Setter simply stops working.  (Read 1833 times)

Urist McGoombaBrother

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust the plump helmet! ♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠
    • View Profile

I have a stockpile with about a dozend of statues of the same material and another stockpile of gems. I link both stockpiles to the jeweler's workshop and tell him to encrust the statues with onyxes. Then the Gem Setter starts to work and encrusts some of those statues till he suddenly quits and doesn't encrusts any more statues despite having onyxes and unencrusted statues left. And all of them in the same stockpiles, which were used before. There are no other labours enabled than Gem Setting. Probably I am missing some details like specific requirements for encrusted items or types of gems available. However the jeweler's workshop still has the E enabled at onyxes.

Have the same issue with other materials like cut green/clear/crystal glass gems too. Even when having dozens of those available, some statues don't get even touched. Gem Setter is idling around.

Having similar issue with Finished Goods. I removed all stockpile linkings and asked my gem setter to encrust Finished Goods with Green Glass Gems. Have hundreds of those around and he seems to be pretty picky, with what he encrusts. Some finished goods are encrusted, others in the very same stockpile don't get touched. I checked, there are no forbidden items. Also he doesn't encrusts any of my bone crafts.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do you store your gems in bins? When dwarf is going to haul bin, all its content is excluded from being available to workshops, causing premature cancellation of jobs.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Urist McGoombaBrother

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, gems are stored in bins. But the bin with the onyxes is in the stockpile.

Aramara Meibi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

what happens if you reassign the encrust job?

one thought that i have is, if a furniture piece already has onyxes encrusted, no more onyxes can be encrusted on that piece. you can encrust other gems.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile

Are the jobs cancelled or are they still in the building's production list?
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Urist McGoombaBrother

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, some of the statues don't have encrustings at all. Simply ignored. They aren't marked as forbidden either.

The jobs are still in the list. When cancelling them and reassigning them nothing happens. Sometimes when having multiple encrusting jobs in the queue like "Encrust with Glass, Encrust with Moonstone, Encrust with Emerald" and it runs out of one type of gem, the gem setter stops all tasks and says "No Job". When deleting the job without gems, he continues. But that doesn't solves the issue with ignoring items.

After running things for a while, I have some statues looking like this:

http://i.imgur.com/ikahO3o.png

And others with no encrustings at all depsite being in the same stockpile.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A dwarf "stopping all tasks" when apparently running out of one type of gem is the hallmark of hauling-caused cancellations - they didn't actually run out of gems, one of the extremely stuffed cut-gem bins is earmarked for hauling, making all gems inside inaccessible; and this can happen while the bin's still sitting in the stockpile.

Even worse, such jobs are sometimes picked and dropped before the hauler manages to pick up the bin, so the bin gets blocked and encrusting interrupted, but the errant gem isn't collected. Hauling interruptions will keep happening if new gems are being cut, so

- you definitely should not try to cut gems and encrust at the same time. The pickup of cut gems regularly interrupts and kills the encrustation process.

As for the statue - that's normal operation for encrusting: encrusted items are originally sitting in the workshop, so they're available for further encrusting jobs and of course are naturally the "closest" applicable item for such jobs. If you want many individual items encrusted, you need to issue few different jobs (because an item can't be decorated with the same material more than once) and wait with orders for other decoration materials until the encrusted items have been moved out of the workshop. In addition, you could set up a separate "take"-linked stockpile to pull the decorated stuff into, to make sure undecorated items from the "giving" pile are used instead of adding extra decorations on already-encrusted stuff.

PS:
@below - yes, sometimes items get marked for a job (this isn't displayed on stockpiles, unfortunately) but not picked up, and occasionally, those marks hang around for a long time although no-one's even considering the job. You can clear such jobs by forbidding, then reclaiming the items you suspect (just hover over the bin and hit "f" twice). This forces any sticking haul jobs to cancel and makes the bin available for new jobs (including even more stupid hauling jobs). You can short-circuit gem hauling blockages by temporarily setting the "allowed bins" count on your cut gems stockpile to zero. Every newly stored gem will take up a full stockpile space, but at least haulers won't block your encrusting operations all the time.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 05:11:13 am by Larix »

Urist McGoombaBrother

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Currently the Encrusting Job isn't even available anymore for nearly all gems, but two or three. Which is quite interesting as there are three bins full of various kinds of gems are sitting in the stockpile and no hauler is touching them.

So you say, that is due to jobs marked for hauling, which in fact aren't hauled and that causes to block everything? So I just need to wait and things will eventually sort out of it's own?

And some of my statues and all the bone crafts aren't even touched for encrusting with whatever material for whatever strange reason, I haven't fully understood. It seems like this encrusting thingy is broken at the moment ...

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Bins are horribly buggy in my experience. This definitely sounds a lot like a bin bug to me, Sometimes they resolve themselves in time and sometimes they don't.

Its a bit late for this now but I think the best solution is to almost never use bins with any of your stockpiles other than maybe cloth and leather. More often than not when I track down the cause of horrendous cancellation spam and jobs simply NEVER getting done I find a bin behind it.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 02:15:01 pm by Melting Sky »

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile

I hardly ever run into problems with jewelers. I buy all the cut gems caravans bring and instead of focusing on one type I order the encruster's jeweler workshop to encrust 10 different types of gems, all on repeat, and add new encrust jobs when they run out of a certain type. This might help with your issue if you have multiple bins full of gems. In addition it seems to result in items being encrusted with all the 10 gems (or at least those that are possible and not cancelled by the bin bug or running out of cut gems.)

Another idea would be to make a lot of green glass, cut them into cut jewels at your Gem Cutting jeweler workshop, and then fill up a lot of bins with them so they fill up most of your bins so your other cut gems are spread into many bins instead of all in the same ones that are being refilled.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit