Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Sol Zero - Mars Colonization Simulator  (Read 11656 times)

BallC420

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sol Zero - Mars Colonization Simulator
« on: June 14, 2014, 06:50:36 pm »

I ran across this pretty cool game last night and picked it up as an impulse buy. It's a Mars colony builder game where you send up astronauts, build facilities to harvest minerals/water and grow food so you can eventually send bigger ships and colonists (who work inside buildings instead of walking around on the surface). Colonists can then work in labs and there's a tech tree and such once you get a little further with having the base built up. There's a good number of LP videos on YouTube -- I actually found it from this one here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG27TIKxs9g

From the dev's website (http://www.solzerogame.com/):

Sol 0 is a Mars colonization real time strategy game where the goal is to grow from the first human footprints on the Martian surface to a successful and bustling colony. Sol 0 imagines the near future, with technology that could be available within the next decade.

• Explore the Martian environment and search for methane emissions, subsurface water, and mineral deposits.
  • Plan for dust storms and meteorite impacts that could easily destroy an unprepared colony.
  • Prioritize the supplies you bring to your colony to ensure its survival.
  • Currently in Alpha

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sol Zero - Mars Colonization Simulator
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 07:34:21 pm »

$2.99? may as well get it...pocket change!...trying it when I get home

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 02:12:23 pm »

Dust storms destroying things? Nope, not buying.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 02:29:44 pm »

I 'm intrigued.

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 02:41:07 pm »

What's wrong with dust storms?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 02:42:50 pm by thobal »
Signature goes here.

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 02:48:40 pm »

From the website I noticed this alpha is more like a beta

Note that Sol 0 is currently in early alpha. All the planned features are in the game. However, the game is still being regularly updated with improvements and bug fixes.

Unless he's bad at expressing himself, which could be the case.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 03:30:55 pm »

From the website I noticed this alpha is more like a beta

Note that Sol 0 is currently in early alpha. All the planned features are in the game. However, the game is still being regularly updated with improvements and bug fixes.

Unless he's bad at expressing himself, which could be the case.

Except versioning is completely arbitrary. Considering how crappy most AAA games are upon release, I'd say it looks to be AAA Release quality.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 03:50:53 pm »

Why does everything have to be 'real time' instead of turn based nowadays?

Eh, just ignore me. I'm feeling depressed, frustrated and bored. :/ 

I might give the demo a go.
()==[:::::::::::::>

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 03:51:31 pm »

Looks like fun. PTW.

BallC420

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 06:27:41 pm »

I've played a few hours now on both maps. Still haven't been able to get to 20 population without any deaths but I was able to get a functioning base up with full biology/geology research done so I got one of the achievements.

Some tips/observations:

1) On your initial launch, bring a rover, astronaut, enough food/water for 60 or so days, and then max out supplies. When you first land, deploy only the rover and send it out exploring looking for water. Don't deploy the astronaut before day 60 -- it won't actually use any of the food/water until you deploy it. Once you find water, immediately build a solar power array and a water cryotank. This will let you ignore water for subsequent launches.

2) The rover can push boulders around if you click on it enough. This is likely a bug but if you have boulders in the way of your planned buildings, you can get them out of the way.

3) Initial buildings should be a four-way hallway with a greenhouse, habitat, straight hallway, and an oxygen generator. Build solar plants as needed to keep enough power. It's better to have the power beforehand because bad things happen when you start running low on power.

4) Don't build a bunch of extra buildings because there is some "cap" on the number of structures that you can have based on your population. If you go over (or your pop falls under), shit starts blowing up randomly which is f'ing annoying. If you do hit the cap while building your initial buildings, send up an astronaut on your next trip which will give you some breathing room.

5) Once you have a functioning habitat, build a launch pad and send up a big rocket with some colonists. That extra pop will give you some breathing room from the building limit cap.

6) After you send your initial colonists, you'll need to find some methane so you can refuel and send back the big spaceship to get more colonists. Use the rover to go searching for methane and build a cryotank when you find it.

7) Once you've got methane collection up, start building another habitat so you can support the next group of colonists. You need to have a pop of 8 in order to build the geology and biology labs.

8 ) Biology lab lets you build farms which start out only producing 1 food/sol but can be upgraded (using mined materials) up to 3 food/sol making them better than greenhouses. They also don't need to be connected to pressurized hallways. Once you get a single biology upgrade, you can demolish all your greenhouses and replace with farms.

9) Geology lab lets you build geothermal power plants which don't need maintenance like solar plants and produce as much power as 4 "dirty" solar power plants. Unless you like micro'ing and keeping an astronaut assigned to solar plant "cleaning duty", I'd suggest just demo'ing the solar plants and going full geothermal.

BallC420

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2014, 06:29:43 pm »

Yeah, it's pretty annoying that this random occurance can completely wipe out your base and there's nothing you can really do about it. The dev posted a blog post saying he's introducing a late game tech that will let you have armor on your buildings to prevent damage from dust storms: http://www.solzerogame.com/blog.php?postID=10

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2014, 06:37:12 pm »

Sounds kind of mediocrely done in terms of a believable Mars-colonisation game. Windspeeds on Mars really aren't very high. Nothing compared to Earth's. I would have preferred to have dust storms create problems with power supply/resource extraction/air filtration or some other supply problem, rather than the destruction you'd expect from a cobat oriented game.

Not like I've bought and played it or anything. But for a game selling itself as a simulator I think I would want something a but more... believable and theme-appropriate if not realistic.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

GobbieMarauder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2014, 10:14:38 pm »

I think it's the fact that they can destroy buildings. In reality, all they do is get dust into things (Even airtight stuff. It's EXTREMELY fine.) and block off solar panels. They'd take a good number of years to do anything more than scratch the paint of a building.

That and they happen pretty frequently and can completely tear your base apart, and there's nothing you can do about it.

Everything about this game is janky. In particular I'm having problems with the oxygen system, with tunnels losing all their air because, as far as I can tell, my colonists are breathing it all, despite there being an oxygen generator two halls down. I've had more than one colonist die because they walked into my newly built hallway I've just opened to get air in and instantly suffocate. And don't even get me started on pushing these boulders around.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2014, 12:27:00 am »

Looks fun. Will try. On Steam?

Too buggy.
Also fuck dust storms.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 12:51:09 am by Dutchling »

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2014, 07:12:55 pm »

I think it's the fact that they can destroy buildings. In reality, all they do is get dust into things (Even airtight stuff. It's EXTREMELY fine.) and block off solar panels. They'd take a good number of years to do anything more than scratch the paint of a building.

Oh, I thought it would do something !!fun!! like messing with your electrical systems and slowly poison your astronauts via silicosis...
Signature goes here.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4