Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 44

Author Topic: The Rise and Fall of Roomcarnage :: an ongoing Dwarf Fortress story  (Read 367652 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: The Rise and Fall of Roomcarnage :: an ongoing Dwarf Fortress story
« Reply #420 on: September 16, 2015, 04:47:57 am »

Chapter 53 is up!

Well alrighty then, you have a Balrog.

I'm sure you'll find a good storytelling use for it, but my oh my, the RNG really hates these dwarves.

Simo is definitely the most dangerous single creature I've ever experienced in Dwarf Fortress. Of course, play the game for long enough, and statistically something absolutely horrible is bound to show up.
I'd rather fight him any day than a single webber, but that's adventure mode talking, where being webbed is one of the few things guaranteed to make all equal, vanilla peasants, modded superhuman demigods, and everything in between.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: September 16, 2015, 11:06:23 am »

Nitpick for Chapter 53:

Image 2: It's the 2nd of Granite, not the 2nd of Graphite.

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: September 16, 2015, 05:17:24 pm »

Nitpick for Chapter 53:

Image 2: It's the 2nd of Granite, not the 2nd of Graphite.

Ugh, what was I thinking? Graphite isn't even a month!
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: September 17, 2015, 02:12:18 am »

Made a simple mistake?

That's a hammerin'.

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: September 25, 2015, 12:22:02 am »

it's almost the same!   Granite, graphite...

... well the flammability might matter... ;)
hamster cheese supplies are low

mcfrei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: October 01, 2015, 03:31:13 pm »

So the next chapter is already baking?  ;D

Maybe you should flood with lava the tunnels where Simo Veiledsins dwell? Or maybe his mist will clear the foul fog?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 03:36:22 pm by mcfrei »

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: October 22, 2015, 09:37:33 am »

I can say with some certainty that flooding the abandoned tunnels with lava will not have a desirable effect... and I'm sure that Simo's mist has no effect on the fog. I am pursuing another route... slowly but surely. My new job has been taking up nearly all of my time, which of course means Roomcarnage has been placed on the back burner. But the story is not over!
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: October 28, 2015, 03:47:13 pm »

Soooo, when can we expect the next update?
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

Meneth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: October 30, 2015, 11:03:27 am »

Due to imgur's layout change in september, I would recommend that you add "/layout/horizontal" to all the links in the first post.

Silverybearded

• Bay Watcher
  • Midor Belnekol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: November 03, 2015, 06:28:31 am »

The best DF players are those with overactive imagination. Because to them, the insanity can very well become... TOO real.
Engraved is a superior rendition of an image of Arkoth, the local deity of balance and speech, and two elves. Arkoth is burning the two elves. Arkoth is laughing. The two elves are suffering. The image was commissioned by the Round Guild, a local dwarven government.

Pseudo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: November 14, 2015, 09:52:52 pm »

Don't forget, in and around all the other insanity: You now have water and wood. DWRs are now possible. As are minecart shotguns, etc. If you do it correctly you should even be able to make a water shotgun.

(Yeah, your water supply currently is limited. But you can make an ice melter - it only takes 2/7 water to freeze into ice, but ice melting turns to 7/7 water.)

Ditto: you could replace the bridges in your  with copper spikes hooked to a lever, for a standard dodge-me trap. (Just make sure no dwarves wander into it...) (And maybe dwarves shooting bolts through fortifications for good measure - although you'd probably then want to fortify the other side as well and do the same trick as in your shooting range so you don't lose all the bolts) Or does your dislike of weapon traps extend to spikes?

Ditto: a repeater for your pit trap would pretty much eliminate the micromanagement. (Or a pressure plate hooked to a delay before it?)

(Also: for reference I personally don't like the horizontal layout, to the point I have an auto-redirect to add/change imgur to "/layout/blog" (or w/e it actually is). That being said, as such it's pretty much irrelevant to me what layout you choose.)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 11:28:32 am by Pseudo »
The lady the dog the paper the boy writ hit bit knit.

English is weird.

Sherlock70

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: November 16, 2015, 03:17:00 am »

How long is it possible for an average human to stay on the edge of his seat? Multiply that by 10, and you get, what a reader of Roomcarnages history cheerfully endures, just to be first hand witness to this gruesome display of horror. :o

Take your time, DS, we can always start reading from the beginning...and will always find something new.

Sherlock

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: November 22, 2015, 03:02:31 pm »

Soooo, when can we expect the next update?

Soon, I hope! I have the week off from work, and I am planning on putting in some time finishing this chapter. I'm already about a quarter of the way through the captions.

I appreciate the support in spite of the hiatus! If you thought the last chapter was a cliffhanger...

Pseudo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: November 22, 2015, 04:47:39 pm »

Yes, yes I did.

...Am I going to have to start pulling the same trick I do with certain other periodicals, namely stopping halfway through each update?
The lady the dog the paper the boy writ hit bit knit.

English is weird.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: November 22, 2015, 07:50:18 pm »

You do whatever you have to do. It won't affect my storytelling.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 44