Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 40

Author Topic: Arms Dealer - Back from the Dead  (Read 56356 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Dealer - Weapon smuggling tycoon game
« Reply #90 on: June 17, 2014, 01:48:36 pm »

The Davy Crockett Recoiless Rifle.  Not sure if that would be something reasonable for an arms dealer to obtain or not, but is the only thing I can think of right now that would be unique. 
Beyond that the only vehicles I can think of are the usual, such as the M1 Abrams, M270 MLRS, and the Stryker.
For an arms dealer, BMPs and MiGs are probably far more in character. Those are the kinds of vehicles that tend to end up in little, dubiously managed dictatorships.  I don't think (correct me if wrong) the US will sell main battle tanks to anybody, and Israel is lucky if they get a dozen of last decade's fighter jets.

If you're just going for absurdly large weapons, you could always have a punt gun show up. Not that those really have a place in military doctrine...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 17, 2014, 01:49:33 pm »

Well, that's a way to compensate.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 17, 2014, 02:20:06 pm »

For an arms dealer, BMPs and MiGs are probably far more in character. Those are the kinds of vehicles that tend to end up in little, dubiously managed dictatorships.  I don't think (correct me if wrong) the US will sell main battle tanks to anybody, and Israel is lucky if they get a dozen of last decade's fighter jets.

The US does sell M1 Abrams: http://www.army-technology.com/projects/abrams/

Most countries sell their tanks as they were made in vast quantities in the 80s/90's but they're not particularly useful now in large numbers (due to drones, urban warfare and vast air superiority over ground vehicles). They're also one of those things which is mucccch easier to mass produce, so selling off surplus is good. Lastly, although I know many a diesel guzzler who would scream otherwise, tanks are kinda...just tanks.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 17, 2014, 02:30:44 pm »

Here are a couple of my thoughts, one go on sale for $13.37 (heh), and make it so at mid-late game an unknown organization appears to try and crush you.( think the illuminati)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #94 on: June 17, 2014, 02:51:17 pm »

So what would you like to see included?

This just reminded me of this amazingly hilarious video by Rafael, an Israeli company that apparently produces missiles. I can't believe this is a thing, it's so good. It could be the ultimate weapon! Bonus if it's also the game's theme song!

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 17, 2014, 02:53:35 pm »

Here are a couple of my thoughts, one go on sale for $13.37 (heh), and make it so at mid-late game an unknown organization appears to try and crush you.( think the illuminati)

Then you would have to make it cost $17.48
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 17, 2014, 03:15:25 pm »

You also have to factor in how people often round prices, such as thinking of $17 as $20.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 17, 2014, 03:24:10 pm »

I was making a veeeeery obscure historical reference.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 17, 2014, 03:58:25 pm »

Israel:

First and foremost, the obvious Uzi and its cousin the Micro-Uzi (Uzon), which was invented by Uzi gal, who happened to have lived and develop his known weapon in the same kibbutz as mine and had his body buried in our kibbutz (1000 people population so we don't get too many celebrities coming from here, so you can say we're pretty proud of him.)

Next, the "Gal", also designed and developed by Uzi gal. most people would expect the second israeli weapon to be the "Galil", but the Galil and its brother Glilon are poorly Ak47 cloned weapons, extremely heavy and inaccurate. Gal, however, was an assault rifle destined to be the answer to the MK47 and having competed against the galil in a contract by the israel security office, showed far better results, but it got left out because of politics and corruption.

Gal:
first in the picture, "gal 7.62", second, later improved by demand "gal 5.56". the two at the bottom are prototypes of the early Galil

You wont find too much details on this weapon since it wasn't actually manufactured, but it could be cool having it in the game, since hardcore weapon enthusiasts might recognize it.

the "Tavor" (And its SF brother, the Micro Tavor). an excellent assault weapon. it took us some effort to get used to the rear magazine feed (the bullpup design), but once we have, we discovered a good, durable and highly accurate weapon. btw, not many knows this, but the Tavor mechanism is basically a replication of the "Gal" and basically referred by israeli weapon experts as "new and improved Gal"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMI_Tavor_TAR-21

M89SR (Sirkis 26/Sardius 36)- a pretty obscure sniper rifle, despite showing better results than the then other sniper rifles. its manfucaturing stopped because of budget problems.
http://he.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D7%A8%D7%95%D7%91%D7%94_%D7%A6%D7%9C%D7%A4%D7%99%D7%9D_M89SR
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M89SR_sniper_rifle

"Galil" - despite its flaws, it was a very popular weapon, and its later designs are pretty cool.

"Negev", a 5.56 light machine gun that is basically an improved "FN Minimi". i really liked this weapon over the FN MAG, but since i never fired a Minimi, i can't tell if its better or not.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMI_Negev

Desert Eagle (Mutually developed with U.S.A)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMI_Desert_Eagle

Caracal (plasan)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasan_Sand_Cat
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 05:22:36 pm by burningpet »

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 17, 2014, 04:32:41 pm »

Thanks for all of the help guys, especially you BurningPet! As usual you are helping me out, above and beyond my request. :)
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 17, 2014, 05:44:45 pm »

Speaking of interesting weapon sources, what do you think of the 3D-printed AR Lower controversy? I don't believe it's illegal everywhere yet, and more to the point, it can be made by anybody with a relatively inexpensive machine which doesn't require a license.

If you didn't know already, AR-15's (semi-auto version of the M16) are often sold in parts and can be custom built. For legal purposes, the "gun" is the lower receiver, because that's where the serial number is. That means that the upper receiver, barrel, stock, and everything else can be purchased without any gun-related restrictions. Of course, if you make the lower receiver out of plastic in your own home, you can buy all the parts that really need to be made out of metal (eg the barrel) without ever seeing a background check, and have yourself a working gun. I hear it's even pretty easy, although of course illegal, to convert an AR-15 to fire fully automatic.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 17, 2014, 06:26:07 pm »

Interesting fact! (at least I hope I am correct)

All Burst Fire weaponry are in fact Full Auto capable, they just have that aspect of them disabled.

Also interesting gun fact: Semi-automatic side arms used to be uncommon, but now they are so common that finding a pistol that isn't semi-auto is rare.

Oddly enough I found this all out when I was making a zombie pen and paper game and had to study the difference between the weapon statistics the book gave me (which is WW2 weaponry) and modern day police weaponry. For example "Burst fire" weapons simply didn't exist and the pistols weren't semi-automatic automatically.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 06:29:29 pm by Neonivek »

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 17, 2014, 06:37:19 pm »

Full auto is for suppression only and therefore really only effective for a squad automatic gunner role. For killing efficiency nothing beats semi-auto, high capacity long barrel weapons. I would be more concerned with the ability to print high capacity magazines since they have limited capacity to weapons in most states that are implementing tougher gun control. A spring being the only part that is needed beyond the printing capability. However, magazine malfunctions are the easiest way to get yourself killed in a gunfight and these printed parts are always subject to potential imperfections in materials. Further, heat and moisture affect the ABS material unless you keep production in a vacuum.  I made the soldiers in my squad maintain their magazines religously and encouraged them to buy their own aftermarket. General issue, even to high priority units like ours, was subpar by 2007 due to the strain of war on supply. Speaking of reliability, those printed lowers have been proven to fail quickly, just like the handguns. They have a very short lifecycle and can have catastrophic failures resulting in injury to the operator. I find the idea to be more fiction than science at this point for the homebrewer. Perhaps another 20 years will see an in-home manufacturing unit that can make complex and highly durable mechanical items. By then I should be able to make an Ares Predator on demand while the cybermage troll outside my door gets ready to crash in.........ooops, Shadowrun flashback. My bad.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 17, 2014, 06:40:32 pm »

It is why hemmingjay that it isn't unusual for major police departments to actually have custom weaponry.

For example the Toronto police all have weapons specifically made for the Toronto police. Better yet all their weaponry goes by rigorous quality control.

Mind you there is debate that the police pistol is too heavy (it is intentionally heavy mind you) but that is a built in flaw.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 17, 2014, 06:58:50 pm »

I'm very much on the fence about homebrew guns. On one hand, there have been 'successful' completely printed guns which can fire for a few shots (and I guess that's all you need) so I get that it is dangerous, especially if you can basically melt down the gun afterwards. However you're not going to be able to shoot someone at long range with a printed gun, and I'm sure the aim is atrocious.

If we got to a stage where anyone could make proper all-printed guns which fired reliably it'd be different, but at the moment you can basically only make parts and some zip-guns, which you could easily have improvised before (see the film Munich).

In gameplay terms it'd be interesting if there was a difference between marked and unmarked guns/bullets.   
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 40