Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 40

Author Topic: Arms Dealer - Back from the Dead  (Read 56304 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Dealer - Weapon smuggling tycoon game
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2014, 01:42:55 am »

Looks neat, although Alienware is... Eh.

Then again, I doubt that'll have any influence on the game itself, so I'll certainly keep an eye on this.

Also jeez guys Interpol is clearly a Sly Cooper reference! :P
(Now I really hope Carmelita is going to be on the list for possible agent names :V)
Awh, I thought it was a Lupin III reference.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2014, 03:06:51 am »

Hemmingjay, this looks great! i really like that the interface is embeded in a nuclear suitcase (?)

The interface looks good in general. btw, those musical instruments made from weapons and munition on your facebook page is pure genius. i think you guys could play on this concept further more by having all sort of things made like that to serve as splash screens in loading times or something.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2014, 03:25:00 am »

So it's like the old Drug Wars (aka Dope Wars) modernized UI and with a strategic layer to it?

It could be very fun.  I'm particularly interested to see how the international relations aspect of it works out.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2014, 04:36:57 pm »

So it's like the old Drug Wars (aka Dope Wars) modernized UI and with a strategic layer to it?

It could be very fun.  I'm particularly interested to see how the international relations aspect of it works out.

Very much so, but quite a bit deeper.

For the people worried about Interpol, you should know that Interpol actually has agents that lead investigations and lead local teams to make arrests on international criminals. This is because there is cooperation amongst almost all major nation law enforcement and Interpol. Each nation shares info on particularly bad people that flee their country, otherwise it would be very hard to every gather enough evidence or catch these coordinated, wealthy criminals. Secondly, for the purposes of gameplay, you need an enemy to worry about and nothing else made good sense. You'll have to suspend your disbelief I guess. Also, yes. Lord of War :)

Finally, yes, trading weapons will affect the outcome of conflicts, but no, it is unlikely that the Netherlands will overpower the US. Conflicts are somewhat limited to feasible confrontations in 2018-2028 timeframe. You definitely can help certain alliances to a certain degree as well. For the alliances, think Nato, Warsaw and Independent although it's not exactly like that.

The game is 75-80% complete but we are adding in the art now. I would call for a handful of playtesters but the game is basically 50% ugly wireframe menus and 50% completed assets. The art is awesome and the original soundtrack of 15 songs is nothing short of epic. We will have two trailers before launch and a demo either at launch or within 10 days after.

Demos are very hard to make for this type of game so I will most likely limit it to the tutorial plus 20 minutes of freeplay. I will also include an option in the game menu to disable the tutorial so you won't have to sit through it twice.

The cost of the game will be $14.99, maybe less if I can afford to. I'm not looking to take advantage of anyone. I just need to make sure I can afford to finish the second game, which will be something that you guys will like even more. Do you feel $14.99 is a fair price for this type of game that includes an original soundtrack, artwork, a storyline and an open sandbox? I would appreciate your feedback and wonder what you would charge for a finished, complete game that you made with a team of professionals. Thanks guys!(and gals).
Only a simple mind can be certain.

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2014, 07:33:01 pm »

Hemingway great to hear from you. Here is my opinion from what I have seen it will be easily worth $15( then again it depends on content and updates[play time vs money]). plus there is meh triple A games (like watch dogs[they pushed it out a bit early/not very good pc support) that is not worth what they sell it for. So yeah knowing you and what and who you work, with I think fifteen dollars is definitely reasonable.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2014, 09:51:56 pm »

I think it seems really interesting and $15 seems fair for it.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2014, 01:06:24 am »

I'd probably buy it for $15. However, you're competing with superficially similar games that run cheaper, so I dunno. You might get a lot more bites at $10.

But yeah, $15 sounds fair if you can get good publicity and reviews.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2014, 02:21:56 am »

Perhaps $15 with a few dollars knocked off at launch - 10-15% off, to encourage early adopters.

Coolnesstod

• Bay Watcher
  • Drink, Work, Repeat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2014, 03:22:59 am »

I am solely intrigued by this. It also reminds me of the Anime Jormungand. *Waiting Intensifies*  :o
All glory to the Hypnotoad.
Random fact: Robin Williams was once addicted to cocaine during the late 1980's/early 1990's.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2014, 03:27:53 am »

Hemingway great to hear from you.

Hemmingjay confirmed for famous American writer.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2014, 12:51:10 pm »

It isn't direct competition, but a similar style game is out and about...

http://www.moddb.com/games/notorious-inc

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2014, 12:59:04 pm »

Do you feel $14.99 is a fair price for this type of game that includes an original soundtrack, artwork, a storyline and an open sandbox?

In truth it strikes me as a $10 sort of game, along the lines of Uplink and BoI. But that's before the lavish art, and honestly, knowing anything about it. (Knowing what I know, $20 would actually be a fair price for all that BoI offers.) So $15 seem fair, although when you stack that up against $15 to $20 first or third person open world survival games, the price may be a sticking point.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2014, 01:15:43 pm »

It isn't direct competition, but a similar style game is out and about...

http://www.moddb.com/games/notorious-inc

$1 (Android version) is about right for a buy low sell high game. Paying $1 for a theme isn't too bad.

there is cooperation amongst almost all major nation law enforcement and Interpol

*hearty guffaw*

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2014, 01:41:14 pm »

I'd have to play the game to guess a price tag on it, but from everything it sounds like, $10 would be closer.  If you were to ask my opinion, pricing would almost entirely boil down to gameplay entertainment.  Music and art is fantastic to include, but if you had a beautiful version of Minesweeper, you'd still be playing Minesweeper.  A lot of Arms Dealer sounds like menu controls and watching the world map, which is interesting but only in a sort of 'overarching strategy' sort of way.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2014, 01:42:37 pm »

0/10, doesn't include Antarctica as a gun smuggling area.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 40