Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Poison system  (Read 1380 times)

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Poison system
« on: June 12, 2014, 05:03:40 am »

Didn't know where to post this as it pertains to all races really.

I'm personally really interested in all of the poisons, but juggling between stockpiles, military equipment screen, and all manner of other loopholes kind of makes it unusable for me.

I was thinking about scripting a "poison station" kind of thing, that coats all nearby weapons of allied units every so often. Build it in your barracks or in an archer tower, and done. Basically the station would just be choosing a poison barrel and building it, then the script would check the contents of the barrel and put it on weapons nearby.

Thoughts?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Poison system
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 07:00:25 am »

The main problem is the difference between a civilian job (poisoning) and the military use of weapons. The assigned weapons that your squads carry are not valid reagents for the poisoning job, so you would have to make a new weapon, or tell the military to drop it, poison it, re-assign it to the military.

So if a squad could be stationed near a building, and a different dwarf, a civilian worker, could come and "poison all nearby equipped weapons", that would be great. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 07:11:12 am »

I was just thinking of like, emulating your military dunking their weapon in poison barrels laying around, only civilian action being to put the barrel down.

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 07:27:03 am »

I'll finish playing with it tomorrow. I have the script already set to look at a certain kind of building, then look within that building for items storing other items, then applying the stored item to another item as a contaminant, and it also checks if it already exists and if so doesn't stack it.

Basically just need to write code to get all weapons and ammo within X tiles.

migshark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 06:29:00 pm »

That would be awesome if you can get it to work. Would it be possible to add an untargeted poison mist/spray feature to the gnomish mist machine? The appeal of a poisoned, bladed-minecart, full of poisoned weapons, is calling out to me.

draeath

• Bay Watcher
  • So it has come to this...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 08:18:18 pm »

Build it in your barracks or in an archer tower, and done.

I just had a brainstorm.

Braziers... give it something like pitch, and nearby arrows/bolts get a chance to set things on fire. Hee FIRE!

Anyone played Stronghold? The idea would be to "seed" the battlefield with something flammable, and ignite it with a burning arrow. (as discussed in that trope article, they don't really do so well on their own against personnel)
Urist McAlchemist cancels extract isotope: interrupted by supercriticality accident.
This kea is so raw it stole my wheelbarrow!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 08:32:42 pm »

Oh my, I tried that years ago... with eternally burning coal in fireproof bins, stockpiled in the invader area... it never really worked, especially since the AI is so stupid in DF. ^^

Fire arrows can be done in the chemist btw, or you just load your catapult with firelandmines. ;)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

misiekm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 05:20:51 am »

Anyone played Stronghold? The idea would be to "seed" the battlefield with something flammable, and ignite it with a burning arrow.

I liked to just put it all over my AI ally's base, and light them up. I wasn't very good at that game :D

The poison idea sounds really good to me. I can only remember using poisons once, to check them out - since then I can never be bothered due to the amount of micromanagement, especially if I do runes first. Can't wait to test it.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 09:26:09 am »

Poisons were super powerful, if you just buy ONE at embark, get one military dwarf, and instantly start with a poisoned weapon in the first year. He will murder all wildlife all the time.

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 10:31:39 pm »

Got this working by the way, and it seems like it will be awesome.

I'm going to try messing with causing wear on the poison every time it coats a weapon, though, so that one barrel doesn't last forever.

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2014, 05:18:20 am »

So my newest version has a counter for each use of the poison (every time it coats a weapon), once the counter reaches a threshold it uses up one of the poisons in the barrel (goes from 5 stacks to 4, for example).

Once the poison runs out, it deconstructs the "building" and gives an announcement, returning your barrel and letting you place another poison barrel in the same spot.

I also made it affect all wielded weapons within it's area, friend and foe alike, to add some tactic on where you place them. Don't want an army with helmet snake venom running amok. The venom will also naturally wear off weapons like any normal contaminant, so you'll have to keep a source of poison if you want it to be a mainstay in your military.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2014, 06:44:13 am »

What happens if it rains, or the weapon gets covered in blood/vomit? Does it wash off?

But that sounds really awesome. :) I will certainly use it and replace the old system. And maybe modify it a bit for burning arrows from braziers, as suggested. :)

chaosfiend

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the Cutebold Overlords
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2014, 02:48:02 pm »

This is a wonderful idea! It would certainly be of most help when I'm playing kobold forts. Just need to make sure they know not to lick the spoon when cooking up a poison batch.  :P

Innocent Dave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2014, 02:49:16 pm »

Just need to make sure they know not to lick the spoon when cooking up a poison batch.  :P

How else would they know when the batch is ready?
Reaching one's life goal shouldn't come with a happy thought.  It should come with a sudden existential crisis.