Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 33

Author Topic: From the Depths now on steam and with multiplayer  (Read 79908 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: From the Depths now on steam and with multiplayer
« Reply #135 on: August 01, 2015, 02:19:26 am »

Just got the game last night.

Just thinking, with multiplayer, how feasible would a large free-for-all battle between B12 players be?
We'd have to have rules.  The game is rather resource greedy, so lesser computers probably can't handle what B12 would bring against each other.  We'd also need like, weight ranges or allowed resource costs, etc.

This... Also at the moment it's very easy to build a floating sniper rifle that explodes ships.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 01, 2015, 10:21:59 am »

weapon controller directly under the precision turret block, then connect weapon controller to ai mainframe, then ai mainframe to a card something, then add the card to prioritize targets

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 01, 2015, 10:35:28 am »

OK, noob question time:

Trying to get the AI to control a turret. Took me a while, but I think I worked it out. Except it now says 'AI waiting for control of firing piece'. Anyone able to tell me what it means?

EDIT: And how do you get the rotating blocks to *actually* rotate? I have one, but it refuses to do so.

EDIT2: Turned out I was using the wrong blocks to rotate the turret... Still, need to find out how to get the AI in control of the gun.
Turrets respond to aiming them while in range (or using the remote weapons control). Spin blocks are controlled manually with a, uh, spin block controller surprisingly.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 01, 2015, 10:43:07 am »

AI controllers only work within 2 tiles. If the turret is too large you may need to place the controller on the turret.

You also need to connect the weapon controller to a mainframe, either physically having it close, or by using a wireless transmitter/receiver.  There's a Let's Play by youtuber Lathland that assumes you know things as he goes, but he also spends so much time on the game that you can catch how everything works by being perceptive.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 01, 2015, 06:28:14 pm »

Managed to sort it out, thanks guys.

Is the multiplayer campaign saving still broken? If not, is anyone able to host a campaign?

Saves are supposedly fixed, at least in the beta/dev branch(haven't checked the main branch yet, was it patched to the new battle system?) I can host a campaign, have a couple good designs, but my computer isn't that great so in bigger fights things will slow down.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 01, 2015, 10:16:07 pm »

We'd need reasonably limits anyways.  Probably a certain number of weapon systems, missiles limited to a certain number, and limit weapons to a certain number of blocks, then also a max block count per vessel.  I feel like this would end up better anyways, as we'd more likely have underpowered weapons, more heavily armored ships, and thus longer matches.  Watching videos, I've seen a lot of players who have one ship that can wreck through an entire enemy faction without stopping, because weapons are too stronk.  Having chunkier ships with smaller weapons should prove a bit more entertaining, I think, instead of battles being over before you can get the camera over to look at the enemy, as well as reduce the server load so it runs smoother.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 02, 2015, 02:55:34 am »

Or perhaps... is cooperative building a thing? I'm quite curious what monstrosity of engineering Bay12 would accomplish. And for some reason I'm inspired to build a machine that is essentially just a torpedo launcher attached to a propeller now.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 02, 2015, 05:10:31 am »

best bet for lag is that we leave ai fight each other while we watch, as that way every computer will have all data to update it's own state

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 02, 2015, 05:13:52 am »

Awww, but I love drop-podding straight into a enemy ship with a ram-missle and then wrecking havoc with the nade laucher (2 shots wherever you might find the AI and even the big ships are relaxed).

Also any rules about goofy stuff, like having a lead-base under the water?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 02, 2015, 09:02:04 am »

I'm actually in favor of player control, make it more fun.  Perhaps even team ships.  Probably not any boarding though, for right now, just to keep things simpler.  And as far as I'm concerned, any style is valid, just declare the type of ship at the start, like "This is a boat" or "This is going to be in space" or such.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 02, 2015, 11:38:31 am »

what do you mean by a lead-base? If you mean like a submerged fortress, why not? If you mean Like a lead keel than also why not?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 02, 2015, 01:17:56 pm »

Just a pile of metal and lead that sinks to the ocean floor and throws up missles & Cannon rounds.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 02, 2015, 01:31:44 pm »

Underwater structures are kind of OP because missiles and cannons pretty much can't reach them, and I'm pretty sure lasers get a penalty as well.  You have to prepare to bring torpedoes against it.  Which is why it should be fine, as long as you declare such, and planning can be done.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 02, 2015, 01:45:53 pm »

Mines!
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 02, 2015, 04:59:23 pm »

underwater combat is wonky because torpedoe only get down 10 meter per buoy component fixed
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 33