Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What roguelike game engine to use?  (Read 2522 times)

What roguelike game engine to use?
« on: June 11, 2014, 02:41:13 am »

I going to make an roguelike but I do not know what game engine to use.
The roguelike needs to be easy to use and learn, free and works with windows.

HFS

• Bay Watcher
  • Sealed Entity
    • View Profile
Re: What roguelike game engine to use?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 03:25:42 am »

I'd imagine the best engine you could use is one you make yourself.
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 03:29:23 am »

But I do not know how to make one game engine.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 03:34:15 am »

If you use C++ and libtcod I'd recommend the Gatleos TCODEngine. It's kinda clunky and has 0 support for things like UI, but it's a decent place to start from.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 03:50:13 am »

Learn Python, then learn ncurses. Python might not be as practical in the long-run as a C-based language, but it's a lot easier on beginners because there's no linking or compiling. Not very many people will be willing to install something extra to try your game, but it will help get your feet wet.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 04:42:56 am »

Learn Python
+1000000

Also libtcod. It's better than ncurses, because it's designed specifically for roguelikes.
Obligatory Helpful Link: Python+libtcod Tutorial

Note that although that tutorial specifies Python 2.7, you can use a 3.x version instead. You just need to pass strings as byte arrays, like so:
Code: (String Object) [Select]
newString = bytes (string)
Code: (New-fangled "quote marks" string) [Select]
b"string"

I would recommend using Python 3.2 if you haven't used the language before. Python 2 is deprecated and (most) new tools are made for Python 3. That said, there's still a lot of third-party modules and the like for version 2, so you could go with that if you wish.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 04:47:16 am »

Back on topic.
I asking for an PREMADE roguelike game engine, not making the game engine.
(sorry, but there are too many red herrings)

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 05:34:55 am »

If you use C++ and libtcod I'd recommend the Skyrunner TCODEngine. It's kinda clunky and has 0 support for things like UI, but it's a decent place to start from.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 05:41:50 am »

How much experience do you have with programming?

I don't think there is any drag-and-drop roguelike creation program out there, you will almost certainly have to get your hands dirty with code.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 05:44:30 am »

My apologies, I wasn't clear enough before. Also libtcod, seeing as I forgot to give a link to the actual thing. libtcod (AKA TCOD) handles the display end of roguelikes, along with a few other (awesome) tools.
If you want an API with things like pre-defined creature or item classes, then I don't think you'll find a (good) one.
The majority of roguelike "engines", to use the vernacular, as far as I have seen, are for putting the @s and Es on the screen and moving them around. It's up to you to figure out when they're talking or fighting or trading or whatever - that's what game development is about. Doing stuff.

If you want to "piggyback" off someone else's code (which is not a bad thing unless it breaks copyright law or something), try looking for an existing open-source roguelike and using what they've written to make your own game, or mod. The same goes for existing engines.
I wouldn't recommend this approach, honestly, because you'll have to learn how the other devs do things which is sometimes harder than doing it yourself.

Really, how you choose to go about this depends on what you want to get out of it. Do you want to learn programming? Try making the game engine. The nitty-gritty code. It might not work the first few times, but you'll be a better programmer by the end of it.
Do you like game design? Planning mechanics and creatures, thinking of cool spells? Try modifying an existing game, or finding someone who is willing to do the coding for you. Working with another person is often a good idea, especially in game development.

If you want to "make a roguelike"... you're going to have to do the hard yards first. There's no "easy way" to make a good anything, other than hard work, which isn't easy at all.

you will have to get your hands dirty
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 05:50:06 am »

I can recall at least two other threads with the same topic. (and the same response)
If you're looking for a simple roguelike engine with no programming skill required you should stop looking, it simply doesn't exist. Learn to program or give up.

Once you can program, there are several options and things available to make it easier, more efficient and to make your code less ugly (because if this is your first coding venture your code will likely be rather terrible but that's ok)

(hint learning to program is most certainly worth it hint)

Also if all you have to contribute is ideas it's rather unlikely that you'll find someone willing to work with you.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 05:54:00 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 08:02:50 am »

Learn to program or give up.

Pretty much this. And I say that as a non-programmer.

Even if you take a base engine like Angband, you're going to need to know how to write some code to put your customizations on it.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 08:12:59 am »

Yeah... T-Engine (Gatleos links to it, more or less) might be your best bet for something pre-made, but you're still going to have to pick up a lot of Lua to get anywhere with it, at the absolute least. From what I've seen watching the devs converse and folks coming in for advice, back when I idled around the IRC fairly often, it's comparatively easy to learn and use, and quite flexible, but "comparatively easy" doesn't actually mean "easy". As others have said, you're going to be picking up some degree of coding pretty much regardless.*

*This is actually true with game making period, from everything I've seen. There's incredibly few options available, regardless of genre, that don't involving coding or scripting to some extent, and every single one of those are terribly limited in what they can do.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 08:44:12 am »

I think the fact that DF is so easy to mod (hell, *I* can do it) creates unrealistic expectations for some people that other games will be similarly easy.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

blazing glory

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2014, 08:46:54 am »

I think the fact that DF is so easy to mod (hell, *I* can do it) creates unrealistic expectations for some people that other games will be similarly easy.

That's what happened with me at least.
Pages: [1] 2